HELP!! Acebeam Changed their Driver

As long as the LED is connected, the voltage should be dependent on (limited by) the current, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Even with the resistors in place though, if there is no load on the output side, the voltage will go up as high as if the sense resistors were bridged. Nothing to worry about though.

Well.. First of all: Sorry to hear about your burnt emitter.

I have been modding these K40s for Finnish market for a while already (shameless plug: hc-lights.fi - in Finnish only, sorry ;)).

However, at some point two things happened:

1. Acebeam changed their driver design, leading to (way) higher current if bridged

2. CREE changed the manufacturing procedure for XM-L2s , leading to emitters burning on lower currents than before

The new driver is quite similar to the one used in TN32, with which I had some bad experiences earlier.. So I knew that bridging is out of question. After that, the question was (like described in above posts): How much current is enough for maximum throw, but not too much to burn the emitter? Note: There is not much margin when aiming to about 1200m of throw.

Long story short: After many burnt emitters and a few warranty repairs, I ended up using the two original R082s + one R100.

Ps. If anyone here in Europe wants to buy a modded K40t, just PM me and I'll figure out some BLF discount for you.

Thanks for the info!

I wish you had seen this post a week ago :’(

No problem. I too wish that I would have seen this a week ago and could have helped you in good time. :/