Help choosing a cheap 2xAA ?

Kreisler! Why did you have to show me that? I’m so tempted to buy it.

Do you happen to remember how long of runtime you have in low on the Sipik 3-mode clones on a fresh nimh cell?

Mini Maglite Pro is single-mode, regulated and works on regular alkaline or NiMH AAs. It is available at Home Depot for $23. The Pro+ version has a Low option accessed by turning on the light while pointing it at the ground. Doesn’t get much more simple or brighter than these.

Im a very polite person, so I’ll refrain from saying what you should do. Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Could this be mounted with XM-L with stock reflector?

Just to keep you informed :

-I tryed a few flashlight and for now could not find the one I was looking for. One definitively important point is that it must have a constant current driver !
-Before I could find the one I need, I start using a few $2 flashlights (http://www.fasttech.com/products/1699/10000824/1070300-pocket-3w-led-flashlight) which are not powerful enough for most use, but still allows you to go outdoor to check for a few thing or grab something in the car. And for $2 a piece, I could buy 5 of them (making them $1.69) and the “where is that damn flashlight” problem is now solved
-Since I would still need some cheap and more powerful flashlight, I might give one of those a try :

*5 mode C3 for $13 : http://www.fasttech.com/products/1699/10000598/1057100-ultrafire-c3-q5-5-mode-led-flashlight-with-extensi
*1 mode C3 for $10 : http://www.fasttech.com/products/1699/10000598/1057101

If 1 mode is enough for me, does the 1 mode driver have any cons ? (like bot being constant current driver or having poor efficiency ?)

Do you know if the included driver would be happy with 3xAA nimh if I add a second extension tube ?

Thank you,
eliott.

Don't know if you are still looking for suggestions but since no-one seems to have mentioned it, the Balder SE-1 is a pretty nice little light for AA use.

Runs brighter/longer with the extension tube for 2AAs and supposed to be OK with a single 14500.

I also have a very nice, solid, Dereelight Javelin (XP-E) which I like a lot but it might be a over your budget. It will run with an extension tube for 3AA use.

Edit: spelling

I bought a C3 single mode a few months back, my wife liked it so much she bummed it off me, so of course, I had to get another for myself!.
I also really liked it so I now have a SS version on order, I know some forumers report switch problems, but we haven’t had any.
Good on a AA, very good on 14500!.

@elliot: I have to warn you a bit about the C3s, their track records are not so great. There seems to be a big fluctuation in quality out there. The Tank007 566 or 568 i might be a better option

@Thrills: Yeah probably, I never tried to unscrew the pill assembly though so I can't be sure, but there is a visible PWM on low on the N3, so for me it is not worth the effort of modding it. I have way too many 2AA lights that are better than the N3 (Fenix E21/Klarus P2A got them for ~$27 on a sale back in the day) , but if you are hellbent to stay under $20 (the OP asked for a real budget light) then they are one of the best 2AA options out there that I know of. The N3 is also 1x123 battery capable. The P3 might be a little easier to mod since the pill comes out easily, but it's only a 1-mode light, but it is one of the few 2AA side clickies. I have a 606 on the way from FT. I might be able to tell you a bit more concerning built quality and output in comparison to the Romisens when it arrives.

Have just made the happy discovery that the tailcaps from a few crappy “police” lights also fit the C3 and work OK. :slight_smile:

Solid little lite

Well at least they fit ..And it's nice to know if you buy the c3 extension for the sk68 .. you're gonna need a tail cap ,,,sadly the cheap blf delights are pretty much .. carp.

there has always been reports of flickering c3 lights .. the SS were not as susceptible of it

I didn’t need a tailcap, I just used the SK68 tailcap. The extension goes on backwards if you look at how it goes on a C3. Then, the SK68 tailcap fits right in the end of the C3 extension. Worked for me just fine. I suppose no all SK68’s have the same threads. I’ve tried two different ones, both work the same for me.