Help deciding: Convoy/Xintd x3 vs Yezl Y3 vs Tangsfire HD2010 stock

Why is the C8 the exception? I have a zoomable xml t6 cheapie from eBay. wondering what you think i should do to it as a good intro to modding?

The XinTD C8 has the led mcpcb soldered directly to the pill, other C8’s (convoy) are not this way.

solder the driver wires on and off repeatedly until it’s easy for you :wink:

boofarino wrote:

The Courui D01 does seem pretty nice, but ill only use 1 battery so seems like wasted space. And I’m not interested in modding it. At stock how does it compare to the Y3? will there be a rattle with just one battery in there?

Good questions. I happen to have both a stock Y3 and a stock D01. I'll check the above tonight and get back to you.

I feel that you would like the D01 because you said you like the aggressive look of the HD2010. To me the D01 in person is like a HD2010 on steroids.

ok really glad i decided to vomit out my first post as all the posts from you guys have already started to sway me. Now I’m looking at the Convoy C8 xpg2 dedomed, X3 and Courui D01. Think the 2010 is DOA, and wondering if the x3 is worth it over the C8. More interested now in the C8 as an edc and the D01 for my pee shooter if its better than the Y3 stock vs stock?

While we’re talking max throw, we might as well throw the uniqufire 1405 and 1504 into the mix :wink:

I think the usual BLF advice is “Don’t try to choose. Buy them all.”

This thread has a pic of a HD2010 and D01 side by side. I guess it doesn't look more "aggressive". Just beefier, but the side switch, bigger reflector, and additional battery capacity put it in another league.

Got to admit that Uniquefire 1504 looks really nice. Small but with huge reflector. One battery. and $25 with a group buy. Do you have this light? Whats the quality like? How does it compare to the D01 or Y3?

It’s brand new. I think only 3 people have the 1504, but there are plenty of people that have the 1405, so just read some reviews of the 1405 and the 1504 will be the same, just with a smaller battery tube.

edit: I have one on order.

really like the look of it, the 1405’s good quality?

One cell does not rattle in the D01 as it has bays for each cell and spring pressure takes care of the rest. Comparing the lights side by side, the Y3 is better quality. The biggest difference being the anodized threads and integrated pill. The D01 makes up for it with a much larger head and fairly shallow reflector with provides nice wide spill to help you watch your step as you move about, and slightly better stock performance.

Didn't have things conspiring with me when I got home. No fully charged cells or time to charge them. Tornado watches in effect. With 2S cells at about 3.9v/each in the Y3, I measured throw at about 52kcd. With 3P cells at about 4v, I measured 57kcd. The Y3 should have the upper hand due to having about 7.8volt being bucked down to an XM-L2. So in my stock lights, the D01 is the winner in throw.

Sorry for the shoddy beam shots. A storm was approaching with tons of electrical activity. Had to retake several shots due to lightening flashes. To be honest, I did it all in minutes and was pretty nervous. Yes, I should not have been outside. This may be a pretty good indication that I'm a flashaholic.

The below are Y3 shots. Mouse over to see D01 beam shot.

Only part of the DO1 beam hit the tree. If it had hit the tree like the Y3 shot, it would be brighter in a similar manner to the driveway shot below.

To me it's six one way, a half dozen the other. I think the D01 wins from a stock perspective due to less risky parallel cells, cooler overall look, bigger head for more throw and heat sink potential, wider spill (overall beam diameter), and better measured throw.

awesome, thanks for taking those shots. Both look quite impressive but think i can definitely tell the D01 is brighter in the second photo, at least the hot spot anyway. Makes it hard as Y3 is better made as you say, and only needs one battery to get the most out of it, whereas D01 not quite as good quality and needs 3 batteries to use it properly, but seems to be a much better option for future mods particularly a mt-g2.

Do you have the extension for the Y3? and that how you run in it with 2 batteries (2s)? Does that get better performance? Would 3 batteries improve its performance?

“The Y3 should have the upper hand due to having about 7.8volt being bucked down to an XM-L2” Do you mean the D01? the D01 runs in parallel and the Y3 in series I’m guessing? so higher voltage = more power? is the driver under driven in the D01?

ok so been doing some more research and changed my mind yet again. Now I’m thinking get a Convoy C8 xml2 u3 tide me over for a while. Cant order a dedomed xpg2 and not game to try myself. Also seen some beam shots of an xpg2 vs an xml2 u3 and the u3 was much brighter had more spill and a nice tint, though the tint was nice on the xpg2 and nice then xml u2. For the big daddy i think i have ruled out all three of my original picks for various reasons. But think the yezl might be a bit of a let down and heard read some issues with driving and regulation. The D01 seems to have a lot of similar issues, but looks to be great as mod torch. And the X3, man just wish it had a bigger head. Cant seem to think of a reason to get it over a Convoy C8. So with that in mind I’m now tossing up Maxtoch M12, Sniper 24/2x or maybe even an olight sr51. All seem to be fantastic quality with good leds, head size and obviously very well reviewed on here. Does anyone know the difference between the 2X and Sniper? What is the performance difference between the 4 lights? Would a dedomed M12 be the way to go? does that still have plenty of spill?

boofarino wrote:

awesome, thanks for taking those shots. Both look quite impressive but think i can definitely tell the D01 is brighter in the second photo, at least the hot spot anyway. Makes it hard as Y3 is better made as you say, and only needs one battery to get the most out of it, whereas D01 not quite as good quality and needs 3 batteries to use it properly, but seems to be a much better option for future mods particularly a mt-g2.

Do you have the extension for the Y3? and that how you run in it with 2 batteries (2s)? Does that get better performance? Would 3 batteries improve its performance?

“The Y3 should have the upper hand due to having about 7.8volt being bucked down to an XM-L2” Do you mean the D01? the D01 runs in parallel and the Y3 in series I’m guessing? so higher voltage = more power? is the driver under driven in the D01?

No prob. I was curious too after you asked. I was in quite a rush last night. Looking at the beam shots I posted, they are a good bit darker then in reality. Both are pretty good at lighting up an area with even just the spill, which isn't really visible in the pictures. A setting must have changed in the camera and I'm not good at taking beam shots.

I meant the Y3 should have had the advantage because all cells were not fully charged, but since the Y3 only needs about 3+ volts for the emitter, it should have been performing at it's top potential last night. The D01 would not have been running at it's top potential. FYI, the Y3 will not lightly run strong on 1S cell. Buck drivers need some voltage overhead to run properly (in regulation).

Regarding your post directly above this one. Your asking about lights I have no experience with. Hopefully someone that knows them will chime in one them.

Why not get all three? :D

owning all of these lights, you can’t go wrong with an x3 or a y3. But i really like my Y3.

Been researching the Y3 and buck drivers since your post. which led me to the Maxtochs. I think I’m really close to pulling the trigger on the Maxtoch 2X xml2 u2. Quick someone talk me out of it. I know its a lot more expensive than the others, but I’m really not looking to mod at this stage and want a nice quality light that will b very versatile. Feel like I’m making too many compromises with the others, please correct me if I’m wrong. Still looking at getting the Convoy C8 xml2 u3 from iOS. Do you think the 2x is worth it over the Y3? Really think I’m gonna have to get a soldering iron after this though. This site is not good for my wallet.

Do you reach for the Y3 more often over your X3? how come?

I did the BLF thing and have them all.
In my opinion, for throw: Y3 >X3>HD2010>C8

But I prefer the XinTD C8 for everyday use. You can get your choice of tint from intl-outdoor .
The Y3 is a great thrower.

Don’t forget the Warsun CT9T - it’s a great light too :wink:

ill check it out thanks