Help me decide on a thrower, please

Good Evening Everyone,

I have decided to purchase a thrower for my collection. I am looking for something with a pretty tight beam but some usable spill. For instance, I don’t want anything as tight as a Jacob A60. That being said, I have a few lights in mind but I was hoping the experts here could give me some guidance. Let me also ad that I am not overly concerned about battery type but I am leaning towards 18650 and preferably mutiple cells but single cell is not out of the question. So, my top two at the moment are the Yezl Y3 and the Thrunite TN31. Now, I understand these lights are on different levels in quality and performance, but let me explain myself. I am trying to figure out if the price difference is worth the performance difference. I am not against modding. In fact, I plan to mod whatever light I get but I don’t want to get crazy with it. I was thinking along the lines of resistor mod and de-doming but nothing much beyond that. if I get the Yezl i would also buy the extension tube so i can run 2x 18650. I would also change the LED on the Yezl if it would make a huge difference. I also like the UI On the Yezl with the side switch config. The size is nice too. Let me add that I want to reach out several hundred yards. This is more of a novelty/recreational llight as well and that is why I am not overly concerned about superb quality but I will pay for the Thrunite if you guys think this is a no-brainer. A couple others I briefly looked at were the SS ZY-T08 and the XinTD C8 V4. However, I have pretty much written those off and am waiting to be convinced on either the Yezl or the Thrunite. The Thrunite is the absolute top of my budget, so please keep that in mind as well. I look forward to hearing you comments. Thanks!

What was your line of thinking for writing off the ZY-T08 and the XinTD C8?

Have you looked at the MaxTochs? SN6X-2S is a beast.

See similar thread here:

I would also recommend looking at the max toch they have the copper mcpcb.

Ow and nice lurking skills joined in 2012 with 1 post.

Tn31 with resistor mod. I recommend doing all the springs and cleaning/polishing the carrier too.

Its a quality beast.

Pilotdog68, I had to narrow it down some how and I just like the looks and some of the features better on the Yezl.

Yes, some very impressive lurking skills, thanks for noticing, haha. I will take a look at the maxtoch.Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Bushwhacked and others for your input. I have decided on the Thrunite since I have a $40 giftcard to Amazon and it can be had for $90 there. So, it is only $50 out of pocket for a quality light. Now, for some follow up questions. I am a fan of NW lights but it is my understanding that de-doming will warm up the beam tint. If I start with a nw and de dome will it be too warm or should I not de dome and just do resistor mod along with springs and carrier cleaning/polish? Of course, the other option would be CW and de dome to keep it from being too warm. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Do you guys think that the TN31 can out throw the MaxToch SN6X-2S / 2X? I’ve been reading some incredible reviews on the MaxToch 2X (360kcd+) with what I would consider intermediate modding skills.