Help me tweak my website? Come give your input :)

scianiac,

I really like that idea of the under lit stage for the pictures. I will have to experiment with that.

Do I need to be taking the pictures in a lower quality ( to speed up the site) or is it enough to set the jpeg quality in back office?

The under lighting requires a little tweaking but to me seems way more versatile than what is normally used. The key is light balance which is just a matter of bulbs and the diffuser, white garbage bags don’t work as they give a weird tint but that white sheet packing foam might work, I use that over my top lights as a diffuser.

The image quality again kinda depends on the site setup. I generally take a the highest setting the camera has, then edit lighting if needed in gimp, then watermark, then resize to a moderate size then upload. Depending how the site handles pictures, I have an addon that automatically resizes the images so when they are small pictures in a list like thumbnails they are low resolution so the page loads quick, then on the item page they are a little bigger and when you click on them they go full size with a matching resolution. If your site doesn’t do this then just pick something in the middle so page load times won’t be super large. Make the image 100% size on your computer and use that to gauge how big things are, I go for 100% is about 1/4 of the monitor, which is enough to see and take additional images if some detail is needed, could go bigger if you want I just picked that kinda at random. Your images seem to load pretty quick now so you site may have this feature as it is. Again I’m no expert but I don’t think the camera image resolution setting and resizing them later has much effect for our uses.

can you give me a link to your site so I can look at it?

EDIT: Also what is everyones take here about registering for "domain privacy" I sounds like a good idea, but after reading this I'm not so sure.

I would take a look at it but it seems to be down rn, I have a buddy that can hook you up with some cheap pro hosting if intrested pm me.

It should be running now.

I actually just switched from Ipage to inmotionhosting today to see if perhaps that would speed things up a bit.

Thank you for your offer.

It's at asflashlights.com. Not ready at the moment though.

My store is http://www.clandestineairsoft.com/ and if it’s not obvious I sell airsoft parts. Like I said I’m far from an expert and still have a lot of visual improvements to make. Many of the older pictures are crappy so like this is a more recent one.

If I recall the only thing the domain privacy does is hide the register information so it can reduce spam and I wouldn’t use a phone number or email you care about if you don’t use it. Your address will probably be on your shipping labels so it’s not like someone couldn’t find that. Kinda your choice I guess.

Could you guys give it whorl now and see what you think. Is it any faster?

http://asflashlights.com/en/