help me with my first mod, makita flashlight!

hi all, since i found this site a couple of years ago ive always wanted to mod my makita 14.4 flashlight, (because of work, many batteries/chargers and lights in daily use.) i haven’t mod’d before but i have a few makita bodies to play with if it doesn’t go to plan.

ill apologize up front if it seems like I’m asking for you to do all the hard work but a lot of u know what is around and avaliable and i don’t. I have been looking tonight but haven’t found much.

I cant afford mtg so i’ll go with XML (or multi xml :heart_eyes: ) on copper, screwed down to 8mm thick aluminum plate from work with thermal paste.
id like the high to be overdriven for short term WOW use only (haven’t got much heat sinking in a plastic torch) with medium or low getting the most use.

The only driver i know of is the 3-18v multi emitter one that’s on here occasionally, i think that pushes 3 leds at 2 amp each is that correct?

ill need a new reflector since this one is for incan and cant get it to focus with an xml, and the current size is 76mm wide and 35mm deep, i can go a bit deeper (5-10mm) if needed, so what is out there at this size for cheap??actually it doesn’t even have to be this wide, i can just use a fill in disk of some sort.(no rules with this bulid)

or better still a multi led light?, in the same space i could fit 3 reflectors. p60 are too small and c8 is too big to fit 3 in the same circumference, so what reflectors are in between?? EDIT: 3 x 30mm looks like they will fit.

and how many amps can a 14v nicad or nimh put out??

thanks.

thanks all, looking forward to the advise and the build!!

I like the 3T6 driver a lot, it’s cheap and nicely regulated(4-13V) It pushes in stock form nice4.5A through the LEDs.
I have modded a floodlight with 2Xml2 on one noctigon star with this driver and it worked nice.

But I am not sure how much voltage you have fully loaded?

Please post a picture of your host.

DeadLed,

You’re the latest in a long line of flashaholics that want to mod a work/tool light to LED. It has been done. The biggest drawback is adequate heatsinking, then finding a decent reflector. One of the simplest mods I’ve seen was just a thick alum disk [think 10 mm thick] w/ 3 emitters w/ optics. The 3T6 driver mentioned will work but it will need heatsinking as well [attach to the back of the alum. disk]. And a good Li-ion 14.4V pack should take 5+A load easily. If you can get a LiPo pack it can handle 25-30A.

I've had a similar idea for a while now but after happening upon this thread on CPF I'm starting to lean towards something simpler.

All the cheaper 18V drivers are crap (exhibit A; exhibit B; exhibit C) and a decent one costs half the price of a ready-made drop-in.

Doing the heatsinking is going to be tough as it is without having to build the reflector and driver/led board from scratch.

[EDIT] Alright, this driver seems okay.

Harbor Freight drill light mod: The Suckyest Flashlight on Planet Earth (or Uranus) - Harbor Freight 18V Drill Light