Help pick a light for an elderly neighbor

I didn’t mean the gas de doming only took 10 minutes ….

I de dome emitters in lights by adding a little gas to a 2 shot shot glass. then add paper towel and make a small ball of the paper towel to act like a wick …and i just set the emitter on top of the ball . next morning i knock of the emitter clean it up with some alcohol and let it air dry … done it to about a half dozen #3 zoomies …there is nothing to lose and the improvement is pretty dramatic …. the flood is as big or bigger than any other Flood to throw light I’ve ever seen. A good NW xpg2 doesn’t hurt these lights at all either

Appreciate the details, Boaz. Will try it myself asap. I ruined a latticebright from an sk68 clone by dunking it in petrol overnight. The bond wires came right off by themselves, and I’ve been hesitant to dedome cheapies ever since.

I replaced the incan bulbs in a pair of Granny’s 2D plastic Duracell brand flashlights with the Dorcy LED replacement bulb and she loved them. They will run for days on lightly used batteries.

I think it needs to be simple, and vote for the Hugsby xp1. I have given a lot of them, and am not aware of any failures.
Jerry

One thought — older people (and babies) have easily disrupted sleep patterns, and the blue emission spike in LEDs is the signal that interrupts sleep.
Using an amber emitter (or just a piece of yellow plastic film, like Rosco theatrical filter gel) can block that narrow band — roughly in the 400-500nm range.
Little old incandescent bulbs emit virtually nothing in that band.

Rather than go back to low-brightness incandescent, you can filter the LED, or now finally even buy lights that specifically don’t interrupt sleep.

I gave some of those (and over-the-eyeglasses light yellow safety glasses) to one of my neighbors who was just about to be given heavy duty sleeping pills and a CPAP machine.
She says it’s helped a lot to change the evening lights, and has held off the $$$ medical intervention.

These are really effective, and premade:

http://www.mrbeams.com/stick-anywhere-amber-led-night-light-mb720a
They are very bright, using rechargeable NiMH C cells (or using AA-to-C adapters). Yeah, it’s appalling from my cheap side to spend $15 apiece, but well worth it for the nighttime safety.

You can find the same thing much cheaper with the usual blue-white emitter, and cover that with an amber/yellow filter fairly easily.

I’ve had no luck zero nada finding any lights from China using amber 590nm LED emitters in motion sensor nightlights
(possibly because they don’t translate “amber” — and “yellow” means “warm white” which has a blue spike)

I see, so it’s my blue LED night lights that are keeping me awake at night and not my thoughts of Jessica Alba, good to know.

Hmmm, you too??? :wink:
I don’t have a blue LED night light either. :slight_smile:

haha.

But lest anyone coming along not understand, here’s the spectrum — the spike is the blue light part of the white LED spectrum.
LEDs are fluorescent lights, remember — a blue/UV source underneath a phosphor that absorbs some of the energy and re-emits photons in the warmer part of the visible range

No offense, I know you guys know this.

Please don’t post pictures of what you’re dreaming about that keeps you awake. Family friendly site here.

It’s funny, I have all kinds of lights around, but I find that I grab a cheap little SK68 off my nightstand the most. I swapped in a 3W warm white emitter about five years ago. (you know, the type that have ceramic bases and big electrical tabs). The light doesn’t go full flood or zoom. The reason I reach for it most is that its shape makes it easy to hold and turn on/off. Also, the tint if very nice in the house in the middle of the night (like hank says above). It’s also small enough to stick in a shirt pocket and has a pocket clip that prevents it from rolling around. Translated: It’s where I want it to be when I need it.

I keep thinking I should update the emitter, but I can’t because the darn light does it’s job well as it is.

I change them to Luxeon Rebel ambers, or the newer PC Ambers from Luxeonstar.com (square boards, so these need a copper disk inserted to cover the hole in the pill) or else XP-E2 amber or PC ambers (which come on 16mm round copper boards from MtnElectronics, so fit well enough into the ledge in the pill).