Help please - Need a few new flash lights

I’m looking for some assistance from the members, please recommend a light for my needs. Even better if you can tell me where you would buy it from.

I have a house full of these old 3 AAA cell, 9 led el-cheapo lights. I want to get rid of them and replace them with four or five 18650 based lights. I already have an awesome light, discussed here. I’m not looking for a light this bright or big. I want something to light up the pantry or a closet, you know, places where I used the 9 led cheap lights before.

What I’m looking for:

- 18650 battery size

- a single on/off mode (or a double mode of bright & dim). I really have no use for any flashing modes.

- wide beam emitter lens if possible

- the smaller the better, but not critical. Maybe 4-5” max length

- I’m thinking XML-T6 or better LED, they seem so common, is this the sweet spot for an LED? I’m open to hearing about other LED’s to consider.

- Zoom/No Zoom - I don’t think I care if the light has this feature or not.

• $5-8 per light

What I’m - not - looking for:

- A super bright light, I already have one.

- be nice if it came with a battery, but not required At this price point, it’s probably not a great battery anyway.

• anything big.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions and discussion!

David

If you’re open to other battery options an SK68 clone is perfect to have a bunch of around the house. They use AA or sometimes 14500, perfect for some eneloops. Not as bright as your C8, but still brighter than any other cheap light. It’s a zoomie so its great for different situations, it’s very durable, and under $5. There’s a reason why they’re so popular.

I’d like to stick to 18650 as I have a bunch of batteries already. I broke into an old laptop battery pack.

How are the latest batch of zeusray from dealmetic ? I use mine around the house and love it, but it does have sos,blinky but it starts on high and has beautiful flood, and right in your price range :slight_smile:

Edit to add… Just looked and its on back order still.

I agree there are lots of decent zoomies in that price range. I’m having trouble finding some wthout blinkies though.

Those Zuesray lights look good, but they are on back order now. Bummer.

I could spend more, maybe up to $10-12 per light if needed.

post #788

Thank you, these are nice, but I don’t have a ready supply of 14500’s like I do the 18650’s.

Some Early candidates:

http://www.tmart.com/SS-A100-CREE-XM-T6-8W-950LM-3-Mode-Focus-Flashlight-Black_p136633.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SecurityIng-1000-Lumen-Zoomable-Mini-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Zoom-1000lm-3-Modes-18650/1958029618.html

One of the things I like about my TangsFire C8 8W XM-L2 U3 1300LM is that after about 7 seconds, turning on the light is always the brightest mode, regardless of where it was 7 seconds ago.
I don’t see a way while shopping, to tell which lights do this. My UltraFire XML-U2 doesn’t do that, you have to cycle through to get back to bright.

Any ideas?

SK98 if no one has suggested one.

Tmart US Direct. It ships out of New Jersey.

3W 500 Lumens Adjustable Zoom Focus LED Flashlight Torch
Cree XM-L T6 1000LM 5 Modes White Light Waterproof Flashlight Black
TrustFire Z5 8W 1600LM Aviation Aluminum Flashlight Black
CREE LED XM-L T6 1200LM 5 Modes LED Flashlight Electric Torch Hollow Pill
UltraFire WF-502B CREE XM-L T6 1000LM 5 Mode LED Flashlight Torch Black
CREE Q5 7W 180LMZoomable LED Flashlight Torch (1*18650 / 3*AAA)
3W 500 Lumens CREE Q3 Zoom LED Flashlight Torch + 18650 Battery + Charger
MRV SE-T6 CREE XM-LT6 8W 1000 Lumen 5 Mode LED Flashlight Torch Black
Beam Tech F-09 CREE Q5 5W 180LM Flashlight Electric Torch
UltraFire AF-33 10W 1200LM 200m Range Aviation Aluminum Alloy Flashlight Torch
S-R5 370 Lumen 5 Mode LED Flashlight Torch (1*18650)
Beam Tech F-09 CREE Q5 180LM 5 Modes 5W Flashlight Electric Torch
C9 Q5 5W 350LM 5 Modes LED Flashlight Torch Black
T94-5 CREE XM-L T6 400LM 5 Mode Focus Flashlight Torch (1*18650)
UltraFire AF-03 5W 550LM 150m Range Aviation Aluminum Alloy Flashlight Torch Brown

Banggood US Direct. Ships straight outta Compton.

UltraFire CREE XM-L T6 12W 1600Lm 5Modes Zoomable LED Flashlight
CREE Q5 300LM Adjustable Focus Zoomable Mini LED Flashlight

Thanks for the replies to my thread. I decided to buy one each of the items in my early candidates list (post #10). I’ll review all when they arrive. Whichever one I like best, I’ll probably just buy a few more of them.

For indoors, maybe you should think again about a zoomy used mostly in flood mode. Reflector lights have spill but the hot spot is irritating up close.

a 2 cent piece of diffuser material takes a massive lux beast into a indoor pussycat in seconds .

I understand peoples attraction to flood to throw lights but they have real flaws to them too . just buy an indoor light like a s2 convoy ....just wet your finger ,rub it on a bar of soap take some diffuser material and stick it right onto the lens ..the heat will dry it in seconds and you're good to go .....flood . Also a lot wider and smoother flood than a zoomie.

around the house i use a Convoy S-2 5c tint 2100

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1195013

i have both of the above and suggest both over a zoomie or almost any other cheaper light ..

you may pay 5$ more for them but you get a driver that gets rid of the silly strobe and sos ..and the nasty PWM that comes on cheap lights drivers ...and like you said you hated .... it gets rid of next mode nonsense ...it stays in the mode you were using last time you used the light .....and you get to pick the emitter of your choice .....altogether a hard budget light to beat .

buy both

My S2 came with an OP reflector so it’s already mostly flood. I like the big, well-diffused spot to spill that you can’t get with a zoomie.

There are quite a lot of choices at $5-8 price range but these lights are normally poor in build quality.

I’d like to advice you to increase your budget and look at Convoy line of flashlights. People are more easily satisfied with good quality products in general.

Welcome to BLF. :slight_smile:

I’m sure the second one will be the highest quality, but I thought you didn’t want any strobe mode?

I didn’t, but I was having trouble finding that, and so I made this post to the forum. Unfortunately, it wasn’t until after my order that I hear about the Convoy lights with a link to blink less lights.

The Sk clone should serve you well but it is hard to beat the quality per dollar with the Convoy, especially when you are buying with a quantity discount and 8% on top of that.

This light at a qty of 3 or more is 12.92 less 8% BLF discount code

3 of these on top of what you already have ordered you should be good to go. :)