Help Simon preparing PCT

Hello,

I have been reading for a while but it's the first time I write a post. Sincerely sorry it's a long one!

A Polish youtuber named Simon is heading for the Pacific Crest Trail. He just started reviewing some of the gear he considers taking, flashlight being an important element. He's not a flashaholic and neither am I, but I share my view in the comments of his videos. In hindsight, it would be smarter to ask you guys for opinions and make sure nothing I've told him was wrong (or dangerous, or both)

He reviewed a Thrunite TC10 which he quickly realised is too large, but was confused about the common issue of 18650 vs 2x lithium 123, which Thrunite discourages. One of the commenters said it's because the capacity is lower, but the power remains the same. I searched the forums and the answer I came up with translates to

"In general, 18650 works and if you know the safety rules of charging, carrying those cells, it's ok. If there's a short circuit, overcharge or over-discharge nasty things can happen so I'd recommend reading a short post on budgetlightforum searching 'Lithium-ion battery safety 101'. [insert prev. commenter] is wrong. In case of two cr123, one needs to find out how they work. Batteries in the video are lithium 3V, 1500mAh according to manufacturer. Inside the torch they give 2x3V=6V of voltage at the same 1500mAh capacity. 6V will give more power to the emitter than the usual 4.2V. It will be brighter and use up the battery more quickly, but not every flashlight is built to the higher voltage. Searching the torch gives 'Working Voltage: 3V-5V' so at 6V it will illuminate, although in principle it's damaging it. Setting the higher voltage aside, capacity of two cr123 is ±1500mAh, while a 18650 has ±3000mAh, so at a lower voltage of ±4V it's going to work ~3 times as long. You can bring cr123's as a backup, the lithium ones are especially good for that as they don't leak like the alkalines do, but it's better to use 18650."

I also recommended him to look for a tube flashlight like the Convoy S2+ for less bulk, with just 3*7135 which will be more battery efficent. I wonder, is it really a good choice for such a trail? Maybe an AA light would be better than 18650?

I'll send him the link to this thread, he may want stick around and learn more.

Here's the video (this one is in English) for those interested, although you may find little new information in it.

Welcome to BLF
Yes to read the li ion safety thread is a very good idea :wink:

For a long distance (many nights) along the trail I think AA’s lights are the way to go. AA batteries can be purchased just about anywhere in the US.
Take a look at the Skilhunt H15 AA powered headlamp, there is (was) a group buy going on.

An alternative is the Fenix HL50 which puns on one AA or one CR123.
There are many AA light to chose.

I am envious for your friend to hike the PCT

A Li-ion rechargeable will need to be recharged obviously, which the hiker needs to bring a charger (extra weight, or light with built in charger) and then have power source to recharge, recharging takes hours which would mean a stop over somewhere during the hike (extra time).
The downside with AA’s is that carrying batteries do add weight.

On the John Muir a Trail I used a 10440 light(modded solitaire) and carried a very small solar charger that hung outside the pack during the day recharging the cell. Worked like a charm. It’s going to be buggy this year.

As a pretty avid backpacker. I prefer a good AA light with an energizer lithium battery. They perform great in the cold.

I look for a light with a super low moonlight mode for night time reading, and bathroom.

I like the thrunite t10 and thorfire tg06 for backpacking.

Both have good runtimes on low, 200+ lumen on high. Pair them up with an energizer lithium aa and your golden.

I have to second the TG06, or other AA light like the Skilhunt H15. A S2+ with a 3X7135 driver would give long run times, but is too big in my opinion for holding in your mouth for long times and too heavy to clip to a hat brim…

The ability to go hands free with the smaller lights, or clip to the hat, can make a huge difference in the event of having an injury like a broken finger… Or even mundane tasks like cooking safely…

The lithium AA primary batteries are worth the cost for carry, they have the ability to work in the cold and have more capacity than alkaline…

A 9 volt Paklite or one of its clones is great for camping.
Extreme runtimes, durable and 9v. batteries are easy to find.

Paklite

I totally agree with using AA Lithium primary cells.

My camera uses them.
My GPS uses them.
My HAM and GMRS radios use them.
My headlamp and flashlights use them.

When it comes to backpacking I only want to carry one type of battery that fits everything
In an emergency a can rob cells from less important equipment to keep critical equipment running. AA cells are available in every store. Recharging 18650’s on the trail is a big problem. I always carry a back-up light that can easily run all night if I need to. Long run times are critical to preserve battery life.
I have hiked many times on the Pacific Crest Trail. He will be rewarded with a life time of memories.
Hope this helps.