Help with choosing 26650 cells for use in HD2010

I have one of these coming: http://www.oveready.com/custom-flashlights/or-defense-light-18650/26650/prod_268.html It will be my first 26650 (also uses 18650’s) powered light so this thread is right on time. I already have a charger that will handle it. Now I need to look at all the other 26650 threads and do some studying before I buy a few of them. I forget who said batteries are not a good area to cut corners. I agree.

Does anyone know what voltage the over discharge protection circuit kicks in at for the trust fires from manafont? Couldn’t find it in the test.

Another senspammer!

If Benckie doesn't chime in, try a PM. His was a very extensive test.

I may be blind but I’ve searched most of the forum and the googles and I can’t find anywhere, do protected 26650’s fit the HD2010? Could it be that everyone are using IMR’s that do not “need” protection…?

I’m wary of buying any batteries labeled *Fire, altough I guess the piracy is lower on non-18650-sized cells. It seems in general the 26650-scene is underdeveloped compared to 18650/700, and maybe there is no advantage to 26650’s aside from runtime, after all they’re still 3.7V.

The Keygos orange ones are protected and fit fine in mine.

Sweet, altough I’m not sure I like the Keygoses with the IMR/Li-Ion confusion and seemingly low capacity (I think somone measured ~3900 mah), not far from a Xtar 3100’s. But they’re protected and fit so that’s great, and they’re cheap as well… Tempting.

If only they made the wrapper black. As a man I’m inclined to buy anything as long as it’s black or silver. Orange is not so manly (sorry Netherlands). :wink:

I bought the King Kongs, if you look at the description they say “2.75v cutoff”
I assume that means they have some kind of low-voltage protection. Am I wrong to assume that?

Kingkong INR26650E
Capacity: 4000mAh-4200mAh
Full charge: 4.2V
Nominal voltage: 3.7V

*Cut-off: 2.75V

Weight: 89g

As far as i know they do not have low voltage protection, but i assume that is the voltage you should stop using them at.

I also thought these batteries had protection but I was wrong. The King Kongs that have the raised top + terminal appears to be protection but its only there to convert a flat top battery.

The statement “2.75v Cutoff” then makes no sense at all.

I only use flat topped INR Kongs

>>>>>>The King Kongs that have the raised top + terminal appears to be
>>>>>>protection but its only there to convert a flat top battery.

That’s why I try to find Moli (made in canada) 26650s. $5.99. Free shipping. (Don’t get the 3.0-volt batts. They make some of those.)

I have some keygos supposedly protected 26650s that I bought at some huge price, and the Moli cells last longer and stronger for me anyway. I wish there was some other way to buy them instead of ebay. But I have bought like 10 from this seller and they have been killer. Not used. No weld points on the cell tops-bottoms

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLI-IMR-26650C-26650-3-7V-Li-ion-Lithium-Rechargeable-Battery-New-ML0001-/130715091525?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item1e6f3a0245#ht_3690wt_1164

Obviously real and not fake. No Chinese factory makes a batt that looks like this quality-wise. It could survive a direct nuclear hit from the looks of it.

I have one that I charged four weeks ago at 4.15 volts —— and 30 days later without use it’s at 4.12 volts. Now that’s a good battery!

Moli basically does nothing but make li-ion batts.

And they have been doing li-ion since the beginning. I just ripped open an ANCIENT compaq lappy power pack this a.m. to pull the cells and they were Moli. Couldn’t use them because they were the old square batts that compaq used before 18650s became the standard. I think I remember reading that most of the Moli 26650s now are used in tool power packs.

OBVIOUSLY, it’s probably NOT a good idea to use these unprotected cells in a 2-cell light

Hope this helps.

P.S. I don’t work for Moli or the seller. ;) And this is ebay, afterall. I got great batts from this seller but there’s always a chance that anyone else will get Moli batt cases filled with sand. ;)

2800mAh doesn’t inspire my 26650 confidence

>>>>2800mAh doesn’t inspire my 26650 confidence

Yeah, I thought the same thing until I tried ’em. They last longer and are brighter than my million-buck keygos 4800 mah 26650s.

I just pulled some old 2200 mah 18650 panasonics from a lap power pack. Can’t tell the difference between those and brand spanking new 2800 mah. You got me. It’s a mystery.

Of course the 2800 panasonics could have been stored next to a furnace for three years somewhere in China. :wink:

rufes1,
The first batteries I ordered were the King Kong’s 26650’s and that’s what I used in my HD2010 and in the Cyclone C88 and then I read on the TrustFire 26650’s so I ordered a couple of them and when I put one in the HD2010 and it came alive…. I was really impressed!!!

Hi everyone. I am new to this whole flashlight world and want to make sure I’m doing things correctly. I’m thinking of buying the Ultrafire HD2010 and some 26650 batteries. I’ve been reading the forums and have learned that when it comes to battery safety LiFePO4>LiMn>LiCoO2. When it comes to protected batteries are protected LiCo batteries safe?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I know of the dangers of Lithium batteries and want to take the best precautions.

There aren’t as many risks when using only one cell. The risks are much less when using a protected cell. LiFePO4 has lower voltage, and it’d be a shame to use that type of battery in a direct driven light like the HD2010. A vendor here just started selling protected 26650 IMR batteries. On paper, those look like the best all around battery for the HD2010.

Thanks leaftye. There’s so much I need to learn.
I just found the vendor post. Do you happen to know what type of Li-ion the King Kongs are? And which ones fit the HD2010, the raised tops or flat tops?

I’m not sure about the King Kong, but if it is IMR, it’d only have 200 mah more than the other protected IMR he’s offering.

I have raised tops, but I don’t think it matters since the HD2010 has springs on both ends of the battery tube, and at least one of them can be stretched out. I believe some people are using flat tops. Personally, I’d rather have raised tops as it allows the battery less room to move around and possibly break connection.