Help with specific Convoy models?

I’ve been looking at some of the lights Simon offers. Those I’ve narrowed the field to are the same with regard to orange peel reflectors, 18650 cells, UI, LED choices, and the number of drivers. There are minor cosmetic differences but the greatest difference seems to be in length. From longest to shortest they are: S2 (124mm), S8, S6, S2+, & S3 (115mm). My guess is that the S2 has a deeper reflector for throw and the S3 is shallower for flood. Is this correct?

I’m also curious about the release dates. Does anyone know which model is the most recent?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

The S2 had a deeper reflector

but as discussed before the throw comes from the active diameter of the reflector, most from around 45°

the deeper reflector gets a brighter corona and less spill angle, the trhow of the hotspot keeps the same

I believe the S# lines up with their inception. If you’re looking for the most up to date there are recently upgraded versions of the earlier models too. The S2+ in sand color comes with biscotti firmware (very user customizable). Although I haven’t done it personally I believe Simon from Convoy can be contacted directly to customize certain features (firmware for example) but maybe you should get familiar with the various firmware options before ordering.

Welcome!

I’ve been going on a TIR rampage recently, swapping out the stock TIR on my RJ02 headlamps to something a bit floodier, and swapping S2+ reflectors with various TIRs.

They fit perfectly (20mm TIRs with “shoe” to center them over the LED), and one thing I’m loving about these is that they blend the colors much more nicely than reflectors. No more fried-egg beam with yellow hotspot and blue spill, these TIRs make a perfectly colored hotspot and very similar spill. And if you want 60° or 90° or even 5°, you can swap ’em out to your heart’s content.

For small-diameter tubelights like the S-series, TIRs are perfect.

And I’ve mentioned this before, but with the 4C emitter you can get with the S2+, to me it always looked too warm, and that’s the reason why. The center is overly yellow (light emitted off to the sides and caught by the reflector) while the spill (direct emitted light more normal to the LED’s surface) is too blue. Mixed together in the TIR, the result is a beautiful creamy-white color, a nice very pale “peach” tint.

First, welcome to BLF! :+1:

I can’t help with dates as I’m noob on these things! But for outputs and other things, comparing some Convoy lights, take a look at these threads

I’m only able to talk about the S2+ models, that normally are more floody, except the versions with the LED XPL-HI and Smooth reflectors (SMO) (Desert Tan - Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!) which provide a bit more throw and a smaller and more defined hotspot.

Take a look around here in the forum, there will certainly be some detailed information about those ! :wink: