Hey Guys! I'm Brand New to This Forum and I want a Major Thrower!

JD, you only live once! Enjoy them while you can and be happy. Just strategise a bit and budget for a variety that will last enough for some decent laughs. Anyway, new emitters are bound to be pricier like Toph said. So if you ain’t aching to keep up with the Joneses, be comforted with the fact that they do get cheaper with time.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your light becoming obsolete because of the new upgrades coming out. All the lights you are looking at are great lights and will probably be more light than you are ever going to likely need in real life. If it were me and i was worried about newer upgrades coming out later, I would probably buy a more useful, less expensive light to get me by until new throw upgrades became available and affordable. Probably the Black Shadow Terminator. I think this light has more useful light and more than enough useful throw than the vast majority of us here will admit we will ever need. If you want to go small and less expensive, the Nitecore EA4 is alot of light. Small enough to carry in a coat pocket in cold weather and easy to carry in the small belt holster that comes with the light.

Hey guys, the fandyfire stl-v6 that I ordered for my dad arrived. I got him that, two Sanyo protected cells, and an xtar smart charger. I charged the cells, one is at 4.14 volts, & the other is at 4.15, which seems about right. I put them in the light in the correct direction, via the instructions. I left the plastic on the cells, as the contacts are exposed on both sides and it appears to be meant to remain on the cells. I put them in the light and got nothing when I turned it on. Do you guys think the light is a DOA or could I be doing something wrong? It seems to be DOA, but I wanted to ask before I exchange it with fasttech. Thanks.

So you put both batteries in the light? Both positive ends facing towards the emitter/lens? Everything is tightened?

http://flashlightwiki.com/Troubleshooting

jdecker,
I just received the same FF stl-v6 last week (mod’ed, from a different source). Borrowed a couple of 18650s from my son, slid them in, positive end toward emitter, and it works like a champ. If your cells are, without question good and working (tested in another light or, with meter) then I would contact fasttech unless you want to start fixing a brand new light.
My Noob 2cents.

Marty

Yep, they’re facing the correct way, the voltage reads good, and everything’s tightened. I better just send it back.

Hi jdecker, sorry to hear about your Torch not working, not a great start to the Hobby. I have the same Torch and it works fine, but sometimes you can get a Torch which seems to be a Battery Snob. Which is to say that it only likes a certain Type or even Brand of Battery. Sometimes it is to do with the length of the Battery, too short, no contact, too long and it sometimes wont work either. Sometimes i have put a particular Brand of Protected Battery in and the Torch wont work but another Brand will. Maybe it does not like the particular protection Circuit in that Battery for some reason. Not really sure why.

The best battery that i have found so far that works in just about everything, has been the Panasonics from Fasttech in either the 3100 or 3400mah Protected. But i still keep a couple of Trustfire Flames (Protected), Trustfire and Laptop (unprotected Batteries) handy just in case i need to try a different Battery in a Torch that is being difficult. I have a Keygos Zoomer that for some reason only wants to work with a pair of Crappy old Ultrafires that i got with a cheap Ebay Torch Package, Go Figure.

If you can, try some different Batteries in it first, and try to have a couple of different types Handy as Spares. I have about 70 Torches running Lithium Batteries, but only about 3 Problem Children when it comes to Batteries.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers
Chris

Did you run a wire across the tail to make sure it isn't the switch .?

No, how exactly do I check the switch?

take a paper clip or piece of wire and put one end on the battery negative, and the other end on the bare metal on the threads of the battery tube. it the light lights up, its a bad switch

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/13465

you could use a multimeter on amps setting also if you have one. kill two birds with one stone

Oh wow! Thanks guys! Its totally just the switch. Man, that really is a good light! Maybe fasttech can just send me a switch.

Do you really need a major thrower for this? Owls have HUGE eyes and are VERY reflective. You would probably be able to see potential pooch threats with a floodier light…no? I think you could accomplish this with a much less costly alternative. I am a teacher also and I wouldn’t pay for anything more than a SRK.

there is a review about thrunite TN31,

Open up the tail cap and clean reassemble or simply tighten and it will probably be fine .usually just ripping it open bending a few tabs or claening it ..scratching your head and re-assembly and Voila it's fixed ..

contact issues make up the vast majority of flashlight problems ...happens all the time . you really can't be a flashaholic and be sending back tailcaps :P

troubleshooting 101

go read the wiki link I posted above .

Flashlight wiki is written by one of BLForums most beloved members Brted. and there is lots of useful info on the site

the link is also over on the left in :Related sites

<<===Flashlightwiki.com /// troubleshooting

Boaz,

Thanks! I looked on youtube on how to take it apart using this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY61pMF_DbY&noredirect=1 and saw where the basic contacts were after getting the one I bought apart. The spring came off because it wasn’t soldered all the way. I resoldered it all the way around, made sure everything fit properly, and it works. I guess I just need to learn a few things like this at first.

kronological,

I don’t need anything over the top, but I something over the top. I figure that I better do this while I can, since I don’t have a wife yet. The light you suggested looks like its more than adequate for what I actually need, so thanks!

Oh and thanks, fullfine. That’s definitely one of the lights I was looking at

I know the ThruNite TN31 XM-L2 and TN31 is promotion in their ebay store,