Hey Guys! I'm Brand New to This Forum and I want a Major Thrower!

That does look like an excellent deal. Trustfire lights are what got me reading about these lights to begin with. I can’t seem to find really good specs on the larger trustfire though, as far as the type of beam it makes. I’ve pretty much settled on the TK75, since I can’t justify spending the amount of money required for the new rc40. The people on this thread really convinced me that a combination of flood & throw is a good thing and I agree. I also really like how the Fenix lights take forever to step down. I think all of this research warrants a little larger purchase like the TK75, unless that larger trustfire comes close. Otherwise, the TK75 is for sure what I’m getting.

I may also invest in some sort of voltage meter to run the 18650 protected sanyos, the 2600s with the xtar charger. That’s sort of what I’ve settled on.

Sounds like a plan jdecker, and the Trustfires would not be able to compete with the TK75. Sounds like you are on your way. Enjoy.

Thanks! I really appreciate everything that everyone here did for me. I thought I had it figured out at the beginning, but all of this help really made a big difference in my decision.

I still genuinely believe you would be happier with a TK70 for the application you have specified. The TK75 has fairly shallow and wide reflectors. Its going to have a lot more flood than throw. Granted, I do not own one to compare to my TK70, so perhaps I am overestimating the flood vs throw of the TK75, but your original intention was to have a long distance search light. I think the TK70 is much better suited to this role. Additionally, it uses NiMH D cells, which are not only a lot safer than lithium ion, you can also get low self discharge ones like the Tenergy Centura batteries. They are 8,000 mAh each (so 32,000 mAh of battery on tap), but you can also just leave them in the flashlight with no worries, no checking voltages, and you will always have the light ready to use, instead of having to plan for it like you would with a lithium ion light. The TK70 is about the same price as the TK75 as well. I think both options are great. I think the TK75 is probably a better all-around more useful flashlight. But for your specifically mentioned application, I wholeheartedly believe the TK70 is the superior choice.

I agree with everthing you have said here, and for all the Reasons you have given, earlier in the Post. But he seems to have his mind made up on Lithium and the TK75 so, as long as he has picked up what to do with the Lithiums he will still be getting a Good Light. It just won’t throw as far. The TK70 is one Hell of a Light. Won’t be selling mine.
Cheers.

My decision is definitely between the TK75 & the TK70. To me, they seem very close. With this video, for example, the TK75 looks better, with how wide that beam is. However, this seems to be too short of distance to judge throw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeTmQRe4iaQ When I look at Feix’s pictures, they have excellent shots of the TK75, this one http://www.fenixlighting.com/Portals/0/Images/Fenix-TK75-Flashlight-Distance.jpg and this one http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uT1ykTvxl-g/UMF0XTpLA4I/AAAAAAAAJd4/3ypBuIh1p5k/s1600/TK75.jpg. It seems to be hard to find a picture TK70 beamshots that compare the actual throw of the TK70 to the TK75, while showing its true capabilities. This one of the TK 70 shines the beam right at the ground so it doesn’t do us much good. http://www.lightjunction.com/images/Fenix/Fenix-TK70_06.jpg This one seems to be about the best for the TK70. http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x478/thailightshop/Fenix-TK70s_Turbo.jpg. I’d like to see this same shot against the TK75. Either light looks amazing and seems to do what I want. I also watched Patriot’s comparison of the RC40 with the TK75 and others http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnrmuWcwzbM. If he had taken his TK70, that would have been a great comparison. Its too bad he doesn’t like his TK70 because of the size. That video, however, compares the TK70 with the SR90, as does this one by goingprepared from goinggear.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzffVli7TMo. They both seem to do very well in comparison. The TK70 is awfully large, and if I’m not mistaken, around twice the weight of the TK75. I suppose that doesn’t matter very much. This shows the difference, which I’m sure you’re all well aware of, given your extensive exprience with the lights. That’s an awfully big light. http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Rickr1/TK70/TK75TK70011.jpg Either way, I’ll be very lucky to have either one of these very nice lights.

I was beating myself up over the same question. TK70 or TK75. I will probably end up buying both eventually but after handling both lights, the TK75 won out easily. Not only does it have more spill, it doesn’t give up that much in throw. At least not where it counts. The outer edges of distance/throw of both lights is so far away, I really can’t usefully see anything anyway. This is where the extra spill of the TK75 comes in handy.

But the biggest reason for my choice is the size and weight difference. TK75 wins hands down here. Add in the fact that I already have plenty of 18650 batteries and chargers and the fact I would have to buy batteries and chargers for the TK70 and my mind is made up. TK75 costs less to boot.

I have found that unless I’m showing off, smaller, easier to carry lights are the ones I reach for and use the most.

Take a look at the Terminator. I think you can pick one up for just over $100. This thing is tiny and it puts out a massive amount of light!

Oh cool you are from Cedar Falls. I am not to far away. Just a little bit east, Dubuque. I have the Tk70 and it is impressive. I prefer the Terminator over it though. For the size it is awesome.

People from Iowa are crazy. ..................................... I live near Spirit Lake/Okoboji.

The TK75 is a very good thrower. It has a perfect mix of flood and throw. I would also add that the UI is my all time favorite. I just wish they came with XM-L2 emitters.

That is the reason I never picked one up. I missed out on the first run. Was thinking they would come out with XM-L2. Figured I would wait for the upgrade.

I’m originally from Dubuque county, over by Sherrill/Balltown area! I’ve gone “East” with my friends many times!

I read that wrong, it looks like you live in Dubuque, IA, not East Dubuque, just over the bridge in Illinois. Its crazy the small world we live in! I totally went to high school in Dubuque! I’m checking out the terminator right now. I’m assuming the black shadow terminator is what we’re talking about.

I’m thinking of holding out on buying a TK75 until they update / upgrade the emitters.
I’ll keep saving until then :smiley:

Yeah. Heading over to the River Queen!! Just kidding. Lol

Many people are mentioning those new emitters. With lights changing as fast as they do, as everything does, that makes me wonder if I should invest in something this expensive. It looks as if me showing interest in emitters may open a can of worms; I hope you guys don’t mind. I see emitters as the main reason for how fast lights change though. The Thrunite Catuapult V3, for example, is awfully impressive for such a small light. That said, I’m wondering if something more budget oriented might be a better idea. I mean, this idea makes me want to start modding a Fenix light, which is crazy! What if I broke it?!! This makes me want to get the the skyray/fandyfire stl thrower and be done. That way, I won’t get the TK75 and get upset when the XM-L2 emitter comes out, get one of those, and get another light a year later that costs this much. If I get the Fandyfire for $37.99 & they make something better, who cares? Also, if I mod it and break it, who cares? I know this may start a whole new twist to this so I hope you guys aren’t too annoyed by this. Thanks lionheart_2281, by the way. This thread has led to a very healthy discussion!

The River Queen! Bahaaaahaaa!!!

After looking & looking, I’m convinced that I’ll have to wait a while longer than my patients to get either of these lights with the new emitter. What do you guys think about getting a Fenix light used? Is that a dumb idea since a reputable light will have good service & warranty? I need to just make this purchase. I could be out having fun with my friends and I’m looking at flashlights; this is nuts!

Just to address the size and weight issue. Yep, the TK70 is a Big Sucker, to some an Advantage to others a Disadvantage. The weight is not a problem for me as it comes with a Shoulder Strap so i’m not having to Carry it in one hand, You just sling it over your Shoulder and just use one hand to point it in the right direction and operate the Switches. Sometimes the shorter High powered lights like my TN’s are more of a Disadvantage, as they are still Heavy to carry for long periods in your hand and mostly are not designed with a Shoulder Stap Option unless you make something up for it. So you are having to lug all that weight in one hand.

The TK70 is the one i usually use for walking the Dogs. My Dogs are only small and i have had problems before with Bigger Strays wanting to make Lunch of them. Until i got the TK70 i used to carry an Alumium Bar and a Torch with me to fend off Strays (which the Police don’t like very much), now i don’t have to. Club and Torch are all in one. Short Torch formats are not much use to fend off Animals etc as you are too close to the bit that Bites. Your initial requirement was for longest Distance throw and to Fend off Animals from attacking your Dogs, hence my firm suggestion of the TK70 (Nimh and not Lithium was just a Bonus).

None of this takes anything away from the TK75 as a light though, i believe it is a Great Light, being Fenix, it will be good Quality. It does have good flood and throw and more output than the TK70. Whichever one you choose you’re going to be very happy with it.

I did see a Beamshot Comparison between the two of them somewhere, i thought it was on the Thrunite Forum. I think it was a Link to a Russian Forum or Group, i tried to find it but no luck. I guess not too many people own both and do Beamshots. I also agree with the fact that Patriot had the chance to put it to bed (TK70 vs TK75 vs RC40) and he didn’t, and i have to wonder why he didn’t and threw in a Nitecore instead.
Cheers