Hi everyone! (Into and request help with a project)

Welcome to BLF!

Convoy C8 LED Flashlight Bulbs - U6 3A BLACK

That will get you started and you can change the driver to something more powerful later.
I think a User interface programmed in, called Crescendo will suit your needs. Search it.

You can get this pre-built powerful driver with the Crescendo UI already installed.
FET + 7135 Driver - 17mm - MTN-17DDm + 7135 Driver - 17mm - MTN-17DDm

Double tap goes right to turbo mode.
first click to ON will go to low and ramp up to turbo, quick tap along the way will stop at the brightness selected. Double tap will reverse ramp.

I agree, this does look like a very good option!

Welcome to BLF Firelight! Here’s another Convoy light you might want to consider: Convoy BD04 zoomable flashlight.

Another good option. I’m not sure what they mean by zoomable, perhaps it relates to the switch mode only as the specs say it is not zoomable? I like the magnetic charger, that’s a convenient feature.

A two-switch light might fit the bill. Tailcap switch for on/off, and side-switch to select modes. Most have reverse-clicky tailswitches, though, so it’s not momentary on (need a forward-clicky).

To me, though, a “tactical” light is 1-mode, full-tilt, and momentary-on so you can do a flash’n’dash silently.

I’ve heard of some lights that have a twistable collar for brightness control, but don’t recall which. And the DV-S9 diving-light has a magnetic slider just like a wall-mounted dimmer-switch. It’s one of my faves, in fact. The slider is the on/off.

Keep in mind the XP-L HI emitter in that C8 is going to be on the thin side for beam, made the throw pretty far.
Larger wider spot can be had with a different emitter but will not throw as far but still considered to be good. XM-L2 version.
Reflector options too to mix in. OP type has pebble grain and will spread or smooth out the spot to outer spill somewhat.
SMO type is completely polished smooth, made to throw concentrated defined spot further.

Exactly, the ‘flash n dash’ is an important feature that is hard to integrate with single-button mode selection. I too - love the magnetic dimmer style, it’s quick and intuitive.

The dimming feature is important to me for providing enough light for notebook entries without blinding me or lighting me up like a Christmas tree. I carry my flashlight clipped to my vest on my shoulder pointing down. This is convenient for writing in the notebook as well as for quick access. In other words, variable brightness is a helpful feature to cover all my nighttime tasks.

The DV-S9 can go down to moonlight levels if you tweak the slider carefully. Takes a bit of practice, but is doable.

Me, I’d keep a separate small light like a Jet-II (16340 twisty, no memory, always starts on moonlight, which I like) for things like that. Also, a lot of AAA lights similarly can be left on moonlight. It takes determination to change modes on a twisty. :smiley:

Too many people think they have to have every feature they could possibly “need” in one and only one light. Me, I say use the right tool for the job.

A while back, I got a few Glaree AAA lights for… was it 5bux a pop? Something like that. Quite handy as better’n-nothing lights. Also can be kept in moonlight mode to preserve night-vision, etc., unless you need brighter modes and retwist the light as needed to the mode you want.

But I like the DV-S9 because if I want it on just a nudge, I get middlin’ light. If I want it full-tilt, I peg the slider. Etc. Not very precise, but infinitely adjustable. Brighter, dimmer, whatever you want, is just a nudge of the slider away.

Thanks for stopping by, Firelight!

Yeah , not much out there in Ramping drivers …
Used to be some ramping drop ins and flashlights that would have come close to your requirements . ( Maybe 5 years ago now )
If you can find a Solarforce Skyline 1 or 2 ? ( Re emitter with XP-L ) Might scratch Ur itch .

Hi Lightbringer. Perhaps I am asking too much, and for that reason I have a dedicated aaa light as you suggest. Well it hasn’t arrived yet but I’ve ordered a UltraTac K18 (I’ll be running a 10440 in that light).

The DV-S9 is new to me, haven’t seen one of those yet; but a similar light that has taken my interest is the Sunwayman V11R The Sunwayman V11R Rotary Flashlight: The Full Nick Shabazz Review - YouTube

Again, me personally, but I stay away from “special” cells like the 10440. I’d rather just drop in an AAA eneloop and be done with it. Charges with my LKs no problem.

Hell, I was pist that the Jet-II took only a 16340 and not 18350… Still, once I got over my religious objection to stocking Too Many Types Of Cells, I broke down and finally got a 16340 so I could actually use the bugger (after I bought it :person_facepalming: ).

Now that I got the 16340, I like the Jet-II quite a bit. Rarely use it, as my EDC is what I grab for first, but I do like it quite a lot. :smiley:

My go-to light for around the house (not carry… yet) is a warm-white Sofirn SF31? SF32? Damn, can’t remember the exact model. Has a nice nice nice moonlight mode, and warm-white is quite nice at night. Better color rendition. All I know is that when I heard it wasn’t coming out to market as a regularly-stocked item, but were still being sold ’til existing stock was depleted, I went and got 4 more. :smiley: Not the brightest light out there, but the color and mode-spacing and a whole other bunch of features makes it a great all-around light to use 24/7.

(Just checked my orders, SF31s.)

The SP10B is a nice little light, too. Real firefly mode, not even moonlight. If you need to preserve your night-vision absolutely, this is the light to get. If it came out in warm-white, I’d kiss ’em on the mouth…

Click on my “review” above, nice little (okay, not so little) light.

Don’t have any Sunwaymen (Sunwaymans? whatever…). Nothing against ’em, just don’t have any. Looks quite utilitarian, and nice… ’til I saw the price. :smiley:

Think that’s one of those that I heard uses the rotating collar to set the intensity.

In researching many different lights, I stumbled upon the IMALENT DM21T, which may be of interest to you.

Thanks for the review on the DV S9 Lightbringer. That could be an option for me.

If you want to get a sense of what I’m looking for then imagine a BLG A6 1600Lm with a Push/Pull focus head and the magnetic ring intensity adjustment of the Sunwaymen V11R. (With just a standard momentary-on clicky at the back, No modes).

Or even a Convoy C8 (mode group 12) with just the intensity ring from the V11R would be enough to spin my wheels.

Thanks Hubertgoldtop for suggesting the IMALENT DM21T

I like this light; I like it a lot! This light is a real contender and if no better light is suggested then I’m sure the IMALENT DM21T will do the trick just fine. I really like the features and having the built-in charger and supplied battery is a nice bonus. Not a huge thrower but good enough for what I’ll be asking of it in most jobs. This light is head-and-shoulders above my Streamlight multi-ops aaa.

Any suggestions for where I might source a belt clip?

You are welcome Firelight.

I’ve spent many hours looking at the technical aspects of the available lights on the market today. When I read your post, I remembered this particular light which seems to be engineered for your application.

Yes, the throw is rated at just shy of the 300m you had in mind, (268m per Amazon.com). I want to add that I did read some reviews mentioning that the potentiometer wheel feels less than robust due to the fact that it’s made of plastic. Unfortunately, I don’t own this light myself, and can’t speak to it’s quality for field use. Other than than those minor drawbacks, I think this light looks like what you want.

I’m not sure where to source belt clip shown on the Gearbest website.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself regarding this manufacturer can shed some light regarding the holster. Also, if you browse the deals postings on BLF you may be able to secure a coupon code.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

It’s a zoomable flashlight, meaning you can change the focus of the beam from wide to narrow. Here’s a video I found on it (zooming function at 2:05):

Thanks NeutralFan, that clears that up.

Re the belt clip, I notice some reviews mentioning the clip as an optional extra.

Also, the DM21T is definitely the right light as opposed to the DM21 which has a capacitive type tail button. A button like that would cause all kinds of grief for me. The DM21T clicky is the way to go.

Additionally, I don’t understand the logic behind carrying a bulky plastic belt clip/Charger that runs off a spare 18650. Why not just carry a spare 18650 and a regular belt clip; and save on bulk, energy efficiency and cost. Not a biggy because you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. But a strange move by Imalent if you ask me.

Imalent DM21T (warm light) $18.99 at Gearbest, coupon code BLACKFRIDAY47

Couldn’t find the belt clip but hey, I’m sure I can scavenge one from somewhere.