Hi From New Zealand.....& Courui D01 questions

Hey guys/gals/automatons & others,

Long time reader, First time poster here after a few tid bits of information and help.

I have a Courui on its way from GB and want to make a decent thrower out of it. My Modding capabilities are only very basic, driver and emitter swaps and that sort of thing. I’m planning on either a Xml2 or Xpg2 on a Maxtoch 31.5mm Mcpcb, resistor mod (would be my first resistor mod) and spring bypasses. This is Stage 1.

Stage 2 will be more of a long term project as i learn more and better my skills. As i’d also need a decent heat sink and would want a better driver / UI. However, to save on shipping from the States I’d like to buy all relevant items i could (drivers/leds) from Mtn Electronics asap, as i have an outstanding order with them that i could add things too.

So the questions,
Which e-switch driver is recommended for either an Xpg2 or Xml2? and can the same driver run either led?

Does anyone know where i may find a heatsink for this badboy? I’ve been contacting a few guys that made them in the past to no avail.

I also have 4 x MTN-17DDm w/A6 Firmware ordered already for some EDC pocketburners :stuck_out_tongue: is it possible to piggyback this onto the stock driver? Like i say, not going to jump straight into stage 2 modding til im confident i won’t kill the light in the process.

Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

If you have not seen this thread, it might be of help:

There are plenty of mod threads at the bottom of my op in that old thread.

Yeah thanks for consolidating all of the threads. I’ve spent the better part of my Friday reading through these builds. particularly liked Cula’s thread Courui D01 mod - my way (picture heavy)
That really is a work of art :slight_smile:

:beer:

Couldn't seem to find in Cula's build where he or she put the driver in. Assuming it was piggybacked onto the bare stock driver. I think the 17mm would work in the same regard, although i ordered mine with the BLF A6 firmware so im not sure if it will run an e-switch?

Editted* the BLF A6 firmware cant run an e-switch. Boo :(

It is a simple piggyback job with 22mm FET driver from MTN electronics, there is more than enough space inside. You don't have to be creative with this, Your choice should be either FET driver or LD-2.

Sweet thanks, I’m asking Richard a few questions about running the 17mm FET + 7135 Driver for the low moonlight i have grown fond of.
Just gotta say, that build of yours was awesome. Got me very keen to tinker with this light! So thanks for that

Best of luck with Your built, it is a great thrower for sure. If You have any questions regarding the build process don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to BLF!

Biggest thing to watch out for with the Courui is the bottom of the reflector shorting on the LED wires.

Thanks very much Cula, once i get hands on we will see what i need help with :slight_smile: Cheers.

Cheers FmC.
Yeah it sounds like an easy-ish light in general to tinker with, except for that “bastard” reflector. I was thinking the Old Lumens copper tabs for - + on the Mcpcb and Kapton tape would help abit with keeping the wires low profile. And some delicate sanding down of underside of the reflector. Would be my first light i’d have focus in. but I’m Always up for some trial and error learning :slight_smile:

Subscribed, I love Courui’s :wink:
I haven’t really modded mine much only done the recommended stuff and bridged the R200 resistor as I blew (shorted wires) it on the back of the reflector, someone said that basically makes it direct drive, but I’m no expert.
As for the heatsink, well I got a solid 3mm copper square off ebay (eBay item number:300997220405 ), scribed a circle on it the same size as the emitter disc, cut it out (roughly) with a hacksaw and finished it off with files and finally glass paper. Then I polished and polished one side until like a mirror. Oh, and drilled 2 holes for the wires. Mine could take a lot more heat, as it seems to produce none at the moment.
I was so hoping for a BLF Courui, but it doesn’t seem to be taking off sadly - mainly due to quality/price issues. Personally, just because it’s ‘budget’ light forum, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t pay more to have my perfect light, and you simply are not going to get a modded monster thrower for $20- $30 like some want- one persons ‘budget’ is different to anothers - I’m not rich but I’d go to $60 max.
Tbh the Maxtoch GB is of little interest to me, I have a dedomed STL-V6 (which is on par with the Maxtoch) and the Courui slays it dead in the water - but horses for courses and all that :slight_smile: . My courui throws a good 1/3 further than the STL-V6, and it isn’t even dedomed! However mounting it on a rifle would be a no go I’d imagine.
What I’d love is the new CREE XP-L HI V3 2B LED @ say 5+ amps, but again I understand electronics so little I’d be worried to even try! As it goes I can’t even find that led for sale in stock anywhere!