High drain vs. High capacity?

The datasheet you sent is for Samsung 50E which is a different cell.

Yes, I'm sorry. Well, find it yourself, it's not difficult ...

Capacity ≥ 2,940mAh @ after 250cycles(60% of the standard capacity)

- Charge : 6A, 4.20V, CCCV 100mA cut-off

• Discharge: 25A , 2.5V cut-off

② Capacity ≥ 2,940mAh @ after 100cycles(60% of the standard capacity)

- Charge : 6A, 4.20V, CCCV 100mA cut-off

• Discharge: 45A, 2.5V cut-off
    (80℃ cut-off, re-discharge release < 50℃)

This is from the manufacturer datasheet, pretty much as stated in the review I sent previously.

If you are gonna have just one battery, it would be hard to beat the Panasonic GA’s. Like many, this was my first battery. This will work in most lights with the exception of the big gun lights.

I just ordered the Lishen LR2170SD (Sofirn 5000mAh) because I ordered other stuff with it so it is eligible for free shipping.

I will probably buy more cells down the line along with new flashlights from nkon.nl but it will cost me 30$ in shipping, so I need to make quite a big order to justify the expensive shipping costs.

Thanks everyone for the help!

You’d have to find out what the maximum current is that the driver provides to the SFT40.
My guess is 7 Amperes but could be 6.

I don’t think that is 100% correct.

Take these two batteries at 3amp (not really Turbo these days). The high drain battery performs much better.

It’s only when the battery is mostly flat that the higher capacity has any advantage, but it won’t be putting out the full brightness either. It’ll just be dim for longer…

Even at 1 amp draw the higher capacity has very little total advantage. It’s really sub 1 amp draw rates that you’ll see meaningful longer runtimes.

It depends on the light and the batteries, but it can make a huge difference in terms of outputs. Also how long you can sustain high outputs can be markedly different.

When is the last time you charged a cell 250 times ?

It’s not about that but the much smaller capacity, at 100 cycles the 4000mAh is roughly 3000mAh, that’s 40% less runtime compared to 5000mAh cell.

Yes. It will, but only when you operate with those charge and discharge currents that are shown in your link. That is: never...

I wouldn't run my Mateminco PD90S (SFH55 LED with FET driver) on turbo with anything other than a high drain cell. I run mine on either 30T or P42A. Using a low drain cell would significantly reduce the output.

Doing tailcap readings, a 30T gives about 3A more than the P42A. The difference would be much, much bigger if I used a low drain cell, like an NCR21700 (5Ah, 15A).