High Efficiency BLF Switching Driver? - Request for Desired Features

My statement above was pretty general, like for most leds. Maybe the 219b is an outlier. The A6 driver is FET+1, so Med level is definitely using the FET. If you are a person who wants to build a light that keeps the green away you would probably want it to have a FET only (or FET+1 if you want very low moonlight levels) and then match it up with the right led, probably not a 219b. I wish I knew more about the subject, but I only know a few things. Lol

That is really strange, what driver was being used? Sure it didn’t have a second channel? My testing and commercial lighting practices says the tint should remain very close when PWM’ing and everything else being equal.

Except for super low PWM levels where the FET might not be turning on all the way or in setups that use very slow FET’s or purposely slow the FET down. The tint should be quite close to turbo tint when PWM’ing the FET and all else being equal.

The PWM pulse will actually be feeding the LED the same current as turbo, but only for a fraction of a millisecond.

He was using BLF A6 FET+1 so, as you say, multi channel. Also driving a 219B as a single LED w/ FET is hardly a good case study since cooling is inadequate.

I looked at the reports I posted, and yea I see the 7135 is still running for Med. but not for turbo. Probably not a relevant example then. As far as cooling, there was no heat build up during the 1 second it took to collect the data.

Hi….as far as I might be concerned, 3A in a light that size is somewhat needless excess, yet I’m unquestionably not the electric lamp nerd that would get the most happiness out of this driver.

The Anduril firmware would likewise be needless excess for me (in the wake of watching a survey of the FW3C), however I do like the sloping capacity. I fabricated a dimmer for my undercabinet lights that works that way (tap for on/off, hold for incline) when I assembled my kitchen numerous years prior.

order pcb

Thanks to the comments, suggestions and feedback from all in this thread! This discussion has help shaped the Lume1 and Lume X1 switching drivers running on Anduril.

Lume 1 - https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/60947

Lume X1 - https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/65319

Hey LO, is the new Fireflies driver an exclusive to them, or will you posting details about it here?

The Fireflies driver was designed to their specific requests / functional requirements, so it doesn't quite represent what I would design for myself or my own flashlight. I believe it is up to Fireflies' prerogative to post details about it so please feel free to reach out to them if you have questions. Since I designed it, and because the driver is part of a production flashlight, I think it's best for me to refrain from commenting about its performance or express my personal opinions to avoid biased. I see that some people have started writing some reviews about it and comparison with other drivers in terms of performance and efficiency, such as here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/64022/349, and I'll be interested to hear feedback and comments. I should be able to answer general questions about it too. :)

Understood! While I like the Lume1 with it’s 3A + FET setup, I’m with you in what you’ve mentioned before that you prefer more control than just an unregulated FET channel. If I were to come up with my “ideal” driver, it would be an adjustable current buck (likely topping out around 5 or 6 amps) with good output resolution. None of this FET+1, multi-channel, depends on the LEDs and their quantity non-sense. I like the Lume X1, but there are plenty of nice 3V emitters that I wouldn’t mind running on their own, no boost required. I’m probably in the minority around here. But it seems like with all these FET drivers, we’ve got like 15 seconds of blazing brightness, followed by 2 hours of 20% output because the host is thermally soaked and can’t cool down. I’m a bit tired of that. [/rant]

I fully agree, and the E12R for example would have been better with a boost driver.

Regarding 3V single LED flashlights it’s too bad there aren’t more powerful buck-boost converter (integrated switches) than the TPS63020

My ideal driver would probably be a 6A buck/boost with anduril and good moonlight modes. Share the oshpark builds and component lists (a digikey or mouser cart or list of links is even better) in a few key sizes and I’d be set for years.

Problem is, I imagine it’s tough to fit all that, plus flashing vias, in 17mm…

At this point I’d settle for some open-sourced linear drivers that do moonlight well, yet depart from 7135s. Bonus points if it can be easily adapted to other voltages (looks longingly at my SP70).

Note: I still like the boost capability because I still want turbo if my battery is low, and I’d also like to be able to pump some amps through LH351D.

In 17mm, yes… but honestly it seems like we’ve largely moved away from 17mm drivers aside from Convoy S2+ / C8 stuff. Most lights I see these days are 20mm+. And flashing pads will hopefully be getting more compact - the AVR 1-Series only needs 3 pins and is easy to fit on most drivers. Linear isn’t too difficult with off-the-shelf things like a 7138 or an op-amp controlled FET. But you get above 3 amps or so with a linear driver and you can be talking some serious heat being burned off / wasted.

I like buck+FET and buck-boost+FET. I care a lot about power-to-weight and power-to-size and unregulated is still a top option here. Fully regulated buck or boost needs huge inductors to get serious power and this takes a lot of space. Though at larger driver sizes I guess that could be reasonably fixed by using a larger number of smaller inductors.

I don’t think I need more than 6A turbo on anything. Sure triples and quads can pull a lot more with a FET but I’m over it. 6A with a triple should still be getting up there in lumens, far beyond sustainable. And with stuff like a single SST40 it will be over 2000 lumens.

I thought this as well when I swapped my EDC to SST-20’s last year but ever since I keep finding myself looking for a higher modes. It still produces around ~1600 lumens on a fresh charge but I took for granted how nice it is to have ~3000+ on tap on my old setup. Even on low batteries I could get ~1500 lumens, part of why I always think my batteries are low now.

Every time I use it I think I should switch back but keep hoping a new LED will be released that I can try instead.

Anyone know of something newer/better then the SST-20 or XP-G3?

I’m planning to try the Luxeon HL2X, would love if someone tested it :wink:

I love to hear of some first hand experience with those. Let us know.

I’ve been too busy to say anything other than that the 3080 looks great in a pebbled TIR.

Interesting, have a feeling they might be too floody but willing to give them a try.

Is there a source for them, particularly the 90cri variants?

I ordered from Mouser. The 4000K/90CRI variant is available in multiples of 1, but not stocked - I’m expecting a ten week wait or so lol