High power, compact, zoomable flashlight recommendation below $100

That’s because none of those brands make zoomies.
IPX4 is enough to use the flashlight in rain with no issue.
There is no reason why you would need to stick your flashlight in front of a hose, or drop it in a pool.
If you want to do that then don’t buy a zoomie.

Have you ever see a rain in tropical countries, even some ipx6 rated lights have struggle surviving through it

Yeah, I’m sure it was p7.2. I don’t really know what you mean when you say that the p7.2 doesn’t use rechargeable batteries? I most definitely had eneloops in mine. One other thing I really disliked was the tail button. It felt very toyish.

I live in a city, not a jungle. I mostly use the flashlight indoors, and I don’t go hiking outside at night when it rains.
Maybe your use case is different.
But you’re right, in super heavy rain, night swimming, boating, etc… I would recommend an IPX8 flashlight, which would not be a zoomie.
For regular use in non-extreme condition and occasional rain, IPX-4 is fine.

Well it uses the AAA size, not 18650, 14500, etc.
I guess you can put rechargeable nimhs in it, but from my experience with AA/AAA flashlights you get more output when using non-rechargeable batteries.
Never used eneloops though, so maybe it’s different.

I will admit the tail button doesn’t feel the best, but the one on my P5r.2 works fine for me.
This is probably due to the “depress half way” method of changing modes.

Lasers have great throw, but they have serious drawbacks that may make them considerably worse than a zoomie

• The monchromatic coherent beam from a laser doesn’t illuminate well. A laser can throw a tight spot, but it won’t give you as clear a picture of what’s in that spot. Certainly not nearly as good as the white light from a flashlight.
  • Lasers have serious safety issues. You can blind someone, or yourself, with a powerful laser. You’re much less likely to do that with a flashlight.
  • Versatility - a zoomie can go from a spot for distance viewing to a flood for up close. Lasers aren’t good for either.
  • Legal issues - it may be illegal to own or use a powerful laser outdoors in your area. In contrast, flashlights are always legal.
  • Beam width - a laser beam can be very narrow… perhaps too narrow. The much wider spot from an aspheric zoomie compared to a laser illumiunates a more useful area in the distance.

Bottom line is a laser is not a flashlight. There are certain things lasers do well, but they aren’t the same as what flashlights do well. If you want a light to illuminate the treeline off in the distance, a zoom flashlight is an excellent choice, while a laser would be awful.

There aren’t all that many good zoomies available. For what the original poster is seeking maybe the Sunwayman T25C or Fenix FD40.

However, after looking far and wide at compact zoomies, I’ve pretty much concluded that if you want the most powerful possible zoomie, you’re going to have to mod one yourself. Swap in an XPL HI and your choice of FET driver and you should easily get 1200 lumens out-the-front in flood mode, plus much greater throw in spot mode than a comparable sized reflector light.

Quite clearly you don’t like like zoomies, but as the OP does want a zoomy, then maybe stop bagging zoomies.

Yes, ledlensers are over priced, and some some models are somewhat simplistic (though some people like simplicity). However, they are extremely well built, have a 7 year warranty, good dealer and distribution network, and have the best zoom optics on the market - even light when at flood, and less loss of light when zoomed due to TIR optics. They may not be popular with flashaholics, but there is a reason why they are so popular with the general public. The new outdoors series has bumped the lumens, which is long awaited.

Wohoo. Thank you. I REALLY like the Fenix FD41 (successor to the FD40). Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

That is now my “favourite” and if nothing better comes up I will get one next week. :slight_smile:

The FD41 is still a fenix zoomie, which has a “regular” mode and “super wide” mode as I explained with the FD30.

It does not make a concentrated beam with no flood like a standard zoomie does:

If you’re fine with that then sure.
The FD flashlights are like a regular reflector flashlight but with an extra wide angle mode.

I saw some zoomie haters here… I will tell that I am in this hobby almost from beginning and zoomies are no 1 to me.
Why?

- Aspeherical flashlight of same size will always out throw same size reflector flashlight(greater cd/lux performance in same size). Greater lux/cd performece can bring greater adjustable hotspot(which imho is the most important part of the beam)

- They are a lot stealthier. You can light between 2 object without anyone notice you.

- Pocket-able size

- Hotspot flood to throw versatile beam pattern

• Hotspot type of the beam. You see further in the night with this type of flashlights. How? Put same kcd value reflector and zoomie side by side and compare :

When you turn on reflector LED light, your night vision is killed by spill light that is reflecting from nearby objects & environment. Your pupil of the eye narrows and you see less. The brighter the environment is, the narrower is the pupil of the eye, so there’s a reduction in light that hits the fundus. Aspherical type of beam has sharp borders, so there is better contrast between illuminated area and dark area. The enhanced contrast lets you to perceive objects/persons/things better.

Quality zoomies are waterproof!!! Although you could find the one that ain’t of course but even they are good cause you are not going to dive with it anyway.

Enderman you are incorrect about the Fenix FD41.

Only the Fenix FD30 uses the two-reflector system. It is the only one with a “regular” mode (using both inner and outer reflector) and “super-wide” mode (using the just the inner reflector).

In contrast, both the Fenix FD40 and FD41 use LED Lenser style TIR optics.

I agree that the FD41 is probably the best choice for an unmodded light for the original poster.

Look at the beamshots of the FD40 and FD41.
When “focused” they look like a regular reflector flashlight with a hotspot and spill.
When unfocused they have a really wide flood.

You cannot make a no-spill concentrated beam like a regular zoomie.

If OP is fine with this then sure, he can get the FD41.

I had a P5r.2 …. thought it was so bad I returned it as not fit for purpose …… lensers run times are so misleading! I’ve had / tried quite few Led Lensers and I’d never buy another!!!

Whilst initially I was blown away by how bright such a small light was and the throw … the P5r.2 drops off approx 60% of it’s initial lumens after a short period of time so in effect you only get a short burst and if you keep switching the torch off and back on again to maintain the higher output the battery life drops off to like 40 minutes.

I bought a Coast HP5R instead which was much more realistic run times …. the HP7R is meant to be very good as well although I’ve not tried one.

Whilst my torch addiction started with Zoomies I quite quickly “grew out of them” … they’re brilliant for specific uses such as say shooting but apart from that everything else with them seems to be a compromise …. I now find a thrower torch has more all round usability especially if you choose something slightly in between like a SC600w Mk III HI.

Bit of an afterthought but if I hadn’t of lost my love for zoomies the next on the hit list was a Convoy BD 04.

That sounds like you got a defective one or something, or maybe an old revision?
Or maybe you damaged the battery by leaving it on the charger too long.
Mine lasts for hours on max, with no step down.

Coast and led lenser are basically the same thing in my book. They both use the best optics.

That sounds like you got a defective one or something, or maybe an old revision?
Or maybe you damaged the battery by leaving it on the charger too long.
Mine lasts for hours on max, with no step down.

Coast and led lenser are basically the same thing in my book. They both use the best optics.
[/quote]

I don’t think so … I’ve seen charts on how their lights step down and it performed exactly as per other people’s findings … their P7 and TT aren’t much better and their M1 was a complete jokel!!

Their M5 is the only half decent one I found but even that the head was so wobbly I sent it to them to have a look at and they came back with …. they’re all like that!!! … Scary that the level of quality was deemed as acceptable!!!

I have a Ledlenser P7 from 2009 its meh nothing special and nothing i would recommend to any one. I dont hate zoomies but i do prefer reflector or optics lights. I do have a Cometa and its okay i guess nothing special but it does throw okay. Zoomies are okay as all rounder and perfect at nothing. The P7 battery holder broke quick and the button started playing up. Its not bright at 200 lumens max for a few seconds and like 180 on highest mode i think and it uses batteries like crazy. I am not sure if it was good when i bought it like good output?

The Ledlenser P7 i have had issues with moisture even if not directly wet it could gather moisture inside and break. A tool shop guy was telling me how many returns he had. Also not good for rough work if your going to bump and drop it.

Go with the Brinyte 158B or Jaxman Z1. The problem is, zoomies are defective in design. They limit output by the very nature of the case, but the Brinyte offers the best bang for the buck, IMO.

I don’t think you know what the word defective means.
Also, I don’t think you know the difference between an aspheric zoomie and a TIR zoomie.
You might want to research that before making false claims.

I’m a total newb, so please tell me if I’m way off base, but I picked up an Anker LC90 zoomie for $24 and am pretty impressed. Comes with a 3350mah 18650, is USB rechargeable, and is nearly as bright as my SC600 III. Not quite pocketable though, and the modes aren’t spaced very well IMO.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Got a few more in the mail… I’ll try to post some pics soon.