Home Depot- 2 x Cree LED flashlights $8.88... Update: Now $8 (Blurry beamshots added!)

The SKU # is visible in the above pic 507 252

Check it out at home depot to make sure you are getting the right torches. Cree emitters for sure..

i know, if they were AA I'd have a bunch, and I bet others would too.

it drives me nuts - AAA are for single cell torches imho. maybe there's an excuse in head lamps, but I've got a 3xAAA headlamp and don't like that much either.

i hacked out the insides of my stanely led spotlight because they put 6xAAA nimh in it - now it has 6xAA nimh and runs foreeeeeever

I thought they were xpe's ...I bought a bunch ...88 Lumens is definately underrated they are doing at least 90.:P they are such throwers they rival the best throwers i have .All thowers just seem brighter than they really are because the hot spot is so bright ..Tints are pretty nice and beams are more of a crap shoot .they have a ton of throw and a fairly deep smooth reflector ..

I paid 2 for ten ...i wonder if home depot will give me a buck on the ones I bought...Or I could take them back and rebuy them ...

The return policy was the clincher ..It was like a dream when the lady said ..."as long as you have your reciept ..bring em back 3 years from now ...we don't care "

I thought these were xpe's i didn't even think about xpc's ...now i want my money back ...oh wait ... that's not a problem :)

that would explain some of the really nice tints on some of them .(xpc emitters are known for sometimes having a neutral almost yellow/amber tint .

Quality control on these is poor so pick a pair with centered emitters or it will be funky . these probably could stand some laquer or some hairspray on the reflector to smooth out the beam .a little bit of orange peel wouldn't hurt .

i have an itp A3 eos ..and I'd say these lights are brighter than an itp.

worst part of these lights is the batteries .. free H.Duty junk .(The lights are much better on eneloops)

plastic lens ,sharp bezel ,hollow pill..(no free lunch ).still hard to beat for the money 5$ lights with real outputs don't exist .. Now at 50cents cheaper is a dang gone good deal ..

** i recommended it(sort of )... and i don't recommend it (it ain't a nitecore)....but ....I did buy a bunch :P

sorry 3 AA's just makes too much sense ..that will never happen for that very reason .

get with the program ... consume and spend

Went back to Home Depot and the price had dropped .88 overnight and they were now $8 per pair. So i said what the hell and bought 2 packs. I am really glad I did, these little guys are really amazing for $4! I couldn't believe how tight the beam was! Its a little mini-thrower IMO. One thing I did notice is that there is a lot of variation in tint and beam pattern between the 4 lights I got. Also some of the emitters were more off center than others, I tried to pick ones that looks pretty decent. I went a little crazy and took some pictures and my first attempt at beamshots. They are a little blurry but you should be able to the idea!

Tailstands fine

Size comparison to my other lights, from left to right: Solarforce L2P NB XML 3.1A, Romisen RV-235 XPG-R5, Home Depot, ITP A3 Eos XPE, Solarforce L2 w/ MPP-1 head

You can see above the wall beamshot from about 3' of the light that I am going to keep.

The image above shows the tint and beam patter variation between the 4 lights I purchased. The one on the far right is even more yellow in person that in looks in the picture. The 2nd from the right has a much less intense hotspot, which you will be able to notice in the outdoor beamshots.

Above is a comparison of the beam pattern to my other lights. From left to right : ITP A3 Eos XP-E (1 x fresh AAA), Home depot (3xfresh AAA), Romisen RV-235 XPG-R5 (2x Fresh AA), Solarforce L2P with nailbender 3.1A XML T6 (freshly charged AW 2600mah 18650), Solarforce L2 with MPP-1 Head (2x fresh CR123)

Above is Control for outdoor beam shots. Basketball hoop is about 30 yards away.

ITP A3 Eos on high above

Romisen RV-235 on high above

Nailbender XML on high above

Home depot light above

Solarforce MPP-1 above

Comparison shot of the 4 Home Depot lights side by side

Another comparison shot of the 4 home depot lights. Notice the 2nd from the right that I mentioned has a much less intense hotspot? Trees are probably 30-40 yards away. I am keeping the light on the left and giving the rest to friends.

I must be at the right place because for some reason this $4 light has me more excited than the rest of my lights that cost a lot more!!

Could this be the world's best $4 flashlight? Sure its made out of pretty thin metal, uses 3 x AAA, comes with HD batteries, but this amount of throw and lumens for $4, including batteries?

can anybody tell what the biggest li-ion battery that will fit is?

All I have is an AW 18650, it would not fit. I tried leaving the tailcap and pill partially unscrewed but it still would not work. You might be able to get an unprotected 18650 to work, but I doubt it. The other problem is there is no spring on the bottom of the pill, and although that makes more room for a larger battery, my 18650 would not make positive contact with the pill.

HD will be my first stop the day after christmas:)

Yeah maybe it will be $4 for a 2-pack by then?

Just stopped at Home Depot and picked mine up - $8.00 marked down from $9.88 I believe. I had to glean through a bunch of multi-led lights before I found them. I'm also impressed for the price. Quality is better than I've seen in cheap local lights. The battery carrier is much much better than the cheapo 9-LED type lights I have (ie. Harbor Freight's). Definitely recommend picking these up if you get a chance. Oh, and yes look for centered emitters.

-Garry

Yes I also noticed that he battery carrier seemed a little sturdier, tighter than other cheap 3XAAA lights I have had.

I stopped by HD on my lunch break and picked up a pack of these lights for $8.00. Across the street from HD is a Habitat for Humanity store and they had Surefire CR123s for $2.00 a pack, so I bought all 5 packs that they had. They also had A bunch of Led Lenser lights for sale. I picked up a LL T7 for $30.00.

All in all it was an expensive lunch but I ended up with 3 new lights and 10 cr123s. Now I just need to find a nice single cr123 light!

I just got this today at Home Depot for $14. Did anyone else notice it? The light is about an inch shorter than the ones in the 2 pack. They're rated for 96 lumens, 2.5hr runtime, and 202m.

Sorry for the crappy pictures.

Damn, I might have to pick these up and do a little modding :) Thanks motodeficient for the awesome pictures!

So after playing around with these lights a bit more, they all seem to be about the same brightness, although the ones in the two pack appear to have a slightly more intense hotspot. However, the shorter lights from the five pack can accommodate xx500 cells. I have a wrapped up 14500 in one of them now. They should easily be able to take 18500, and possibly 22500 according to my tape measure.

The headlamps, I think, are worthless. To me, they aren't bright enough, and there's just too many rings in beam. Low-med-blinky red? wtf?

So I ended up picking up the 3 pack w/ headlamps as pictured above, and I'm really quite impressed. I don't even think I'm going to mod them at all, just give them away to friends. The throw is really quite impressive for a ~$4 light.

My local HD still had the 2 pack for $8. 1 was bright with awesome throw, but the other had a big black hole in the hotspot. I tried cleaning the lens but not sure what else to do.

Still not a bad deal for $8.

Try swapping the reflector/lens assembly to the other light and see what happens. Worst case, its good for spare parts as the plastic lens will eventually get scratched up or the battery carrier will fail, etc.

Picked these up for $6 at my local Home Depot

I bought a bunch of these at $5 a pair at the very end, sometime last February. That hollow pill will accept American pennies at a press fit. I put an XM-L on a 20mm die and pressed in 4 pennies. Works like a charm, could have fit a 5th penny, but heck, it was a budget build.