Hooray! New Solarstorm BC-2 4x18650 battery (2S2P) case for bike lamps

OK Garry, measured the indication leds voltages. I've got another case from Kaidomain and I can compare now.

• 8.4V - 3 status leds
  • 7.45V - 2 status leds
  • 6.95V - 1 status led
  • 6.45V - 1 status led flashing

With KD case I've got bit higher readings

• 8.4V - 3 status leds
  • 7.60V - 2 status leds
  • 7.10V - 1 status led
  • 6.60V - 1 status led flashing

So the difference is constant 0.15V - not that much and probably due to resistors tolerance

Mesaured also overcharge protection (8.47V) and overdischarge cut off with that KD case. I've got 4.60V at virtual no load (0.02A just light connected), but 5.05V at 2.4A load (regulated single XM-L driver).

I've also tested with several dual led lights and all got dimm on low voltage one way or another so overdischarge protection is not essential in this case. You'll noticed low voltage way before protection actualy kicks in.

So we can conclude the battery cases are quite good electricaly speaking, but they do have some variance in voltages at some points. There are special "features" you might want to know dependable on the light you connect to it. Most of those would happen anyway as the voltage of the cells drops.

Would need to test also short protection and overcurrent protection. Actualy I would leave short test as a last thing to do and I don't have any high current drain device prepared right now. Would need to think of something....

Thanks ledoman! Any rough ideas on what battery percentages those voltages correspond to? I know batteries will differ (different voltage curves) but figure average common cells

-Garry

There is somewhere on the BLF the table with those figures. Can't remember where, I just know I've seen it. Try to find it and post it here. It is also dependable on the current and as you told the battery type you are using. Some like Sanyo has higher voltage curve than the others so the percetages may be quite different. Also if you are using protected cells the voltage readings would be lower. So in general: "it depends" .....

Yeah, I remember HKJ posted that chart. If you don't post it, I will later -Garry

Ok, found the chart produced by HKJ here.

So if we go with the Panasonic 3100/3400 your voltages on the first box correspond to approximately:

• 8.4V - 3 status leds - 100%
  • 7.45V - 2 status leds - 50%
  • 6.95V - 1 status led - 14%
  • 6.45V - 1 status led flashing -0%

So not such a bad spread!

-Garry

Yes not bad, except 6,45V is not 0%, there has to be bit less than 10% of juice left. With all 2 leds lights I've tested (4 different) the current along with the voltage at this point drops substantialy so the dimmed light output would prolong run time to safely take you home. 2 led lights I've tested are: clone of Mj880, "KD2", SSX2 (n'th version), Yinding 2nd gen.

Ok, it looks I'll have to write consistent review in the new thread.

Dropped two fully charged unprotected 18650 into the battery case, to charge my handphone via usb. I know the batteries would be almost drained after phone reached close to 100%. I did a quick measurement and discovered one of them dropped below 1V, while the other cell remained at 3.6V. Please use only protected cell just in case.

There was at least one user over at MTBR that also reported odd behavior like this, but I think it was one pair of cells that drained (not below 1v, just normal "low level") while the other pair were above 4.0v (perhaps they were even still fully charged, I can't remember).

By the way, MTBR user "Archie" posted over at MTBR his "fix" for proper working protection in post#142: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/review-new-solarstorm-2s2p-8-4v-water-resistant-4-x-18650-battery-case-bicyc-943638-6.html#post11790110 . "Archie" and others have also posted fixes for the USB circuit parasitic drain issue (see post #92 onward); beware that there are two versions of this case and the circuitry may differ.

-Garry

I did charge my phone a few times before that without problem. Not sure why it happened out of the sudden. Will wait for my new set of batteries to arrive so I can retest again.

Thanks pal, I will go through mtbr thread later.

Hello and greetings from a newbie (my first post here)!

I am happy with my Solarstorm BC-2, but I need to buy something to weatherproof the USB-A female plug. Any ideas what to buy, preferable from Ebay or anonther non-exotic source.

Someone a long time ago found rubber or plastic plugs that plug up open USB ports. I believe it was on Ebay. Oh, and welcome to BLF!

EDIT - Try searching Ebay for "USB dust cover" and see if that helps.

EDIT II - http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Black-Anti-Dust-USB-Silicone-Rubber-Plug-Cover-Stopper-for-Computer-Laptop-PC-/271790084646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f47f39226 .

-Garry

Thank you for information, plugs ordered

Questions about charging…

Currently I charge my 4* protected Panasonic cells inside an i4 Intellicharger.

Ledoman said earlier in this thread that overcharge protection works in BC-2, so now I am considering charging the cells inside the BC-2 (because I am lazy).

What kind of charger I need? Is this one
http://www.dx.com/p/singfire-eu2-85525-eu-plug-power-adapter-dc5-5-x-2-5mm-black-116cm-ac-100-240v-252343#.VQkS0eGfut9
suitable? Ledoman said in this thread that the BC2 has 2.1mm plug, does the DC5.5 x 2.5mm- plug work with it?

Or would I need a Magicshine
http://www.magicshine.co.uk/accessories/complete-eu-charger-mj-6012eu.html
charger, does it have the right size plug? Are there any cheaper copies of this, the original is hard to get shipped to Finland.

If I start charging the cells inside BC-2, should I still charge them in i4 Intellicharger sometimes, maybe like once per 2 weeks or once per month, what do you think, is it beneficial?

Thanks!

EDIT

I found an Ebay seller that doesn’t want ridiculous $15-20 to shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Charger-for-Magicshine-XML-T6-U2-3T6-Bicycle-Bike-light-Headlamp-battery-PACK-/161622310182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a170bd26

under €15 shipping included. Is MJ-6012 charger worth the extra €10 compared with Singfire and is the plug OK (and 8.4V 1.8A specs) to BC-2 box?

You should use any (well, quality) Li-Ion charger 8.4V with 5.5x2.1 DC output plug.

The Magicshine has true current as it says while cheapo chargers don't. This means Magicshine would be faster and it should be more realiable. The only thing I can't see at eBay page is output connector. You shuld check it before the order.

Ocasionaly charging cells in a i4 is advised to balance the cells. Frequency depends on usage. Since panasonics are quality ones I don't think this need to be done very often.

BTW, be aware of self discharging. Important if you leave cells in the case for longer time - ie about month.

Thank you for your answer!

I’ll buy the MJ-6012 charger from Ebay.

I trust it has 5.5x2.1 DC- plug based on these 2 links:

Only the Magicshine MJ-880 lamps family use a different, oval shape, plug. All other Magicshine lamps use round 5.5x2.1 plug.

http://www.action-led-lights.com/products/2-5a-magicshine-charger-for-mj-880

MJ-880 charger has also 5.5x2.1mm connector (metal part), it is just the plastic plug that is oval and it is 2.5A charger to charge 6 cells packs.

Anyway you won't miss with your decision.

So if I understood correctly, I can charge (for example MJ-880) 6-cells battery packs with my brand new MJ-6012- charger, too, but the charging process is going to be slower (1.8A vs 2.5A) than with a MJ-880- charger?

Correct. It is only how plastic part of connector would fit or not. I think the MJ-6012- charger should also fit oval connector at 6 cell Magicshine pack. Unfortunately I don't own any.

Do you guys know any decent and cheap waterproof

1: extension cable

2: y-splitter cable (to connect to 2 lamp heads from 1 battery pack)

for my Solarstorm and Magicshine lamps?

Ebay, Banggood, Fasttech, DX, ….

Or are they all the same, not really waterproof, so I just grab the cheapest ones?

EDIT:

And I need a nylon pouch or something like that for my Solarstorm 4*18650 BC-2 battery pack, any suggestions?

Like you have noticed, I am in the beginning of my LED bike lights career and need all the equipment, I have to start from scratch.

Extension OK, thick, take 2 at least

http://www.dx.com/p/5-4mm-male-to-female-extension-cable-for-sku-29489-30864-100cm-32751

Y - thin not for powerful lights - to many looses. Looses (voltage drop) in the connectors anyway regardles of thin cable

http://www.dx.com/p/5-4mm-male-to-dual-female-adapter-y-cable-for-sku-29489-30864-100cm-32752

Report back if you find and siutable pouch.