Hooray! New Solarstorm BC-2 4x18650 battery (2S2P) case for bike lamps

Nice to hear it's usable to you. Since it has been designed for bicycle lights, power bank is "side effect". If you would prefer it otherwise you should buy some dedicated power bank like Xiaomi.

Will, you can probably take it apart easy enough to change out the wires to what you want.
I’m thinking the same thing to put just the short light connector in there and loose the USB.

I also have no problem pulling the cells for charging.
I like my cells so they will go into the XTAR just to maximize the life expectancy of the cells.

Bit late to the party. Before I go into reading 2 hours worth of posts, is this a good case to get for bike lights? Any better?

If you’re going to use the product as is, thus without any modifications mentioned in this thread, you should be ok if you…

1. Always charge the batteries outside of the case in a proper external charger, preferably a 4-bay.
  2. Not leave the batteries inside the case for prolonged periods if not in use. Thus take them out and store in a cool place when not in use.

Should you require any of the above, thus would like to repeatedly charge the batteries inside the case, or, leave the batteries for prolonged periods inside the case without using it, you might have to look into fixing the following issues, as mentioned earlier in this thread:

1. Parasitic drain issue
  2. Cross connection between battery pairs issue

Otherwise, I’ve used this case for some time now, in its standard form, with the precautions mentioned above, without any issues. It works fine.

Edit: Hope it helps!

Hi Shrick. This is most excellent. I assume using a VC2 charger would not be advisable as it charges only 2 cells at a time…

MK, 2 or 4 bay charger doesn't matter as long as you use quality cells. You can use usual 8.4V charger and from time to time VC2 in order to balance the cells. No need to charge them outside the case each time. Of course if you use bad/old/variable cells, this is recomended but otherwise with quality cells I would do it only after 5 - 10 cycles. If you have DMM you can easily check the voltage variance and act acordingly.

This battery case is not perferct but acceptable for lights on the low power side. I mean up to 15W or so. For more powered lights the resistance is to high (springs, PCM, cabling) and to much loses resulting in noticeably voltage drop.

There is another thread about this case: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31065 and similar one over at MTBR. Recomended reading (again ;) )

Thanks for the review ledoman!

How funny I am back again reading this thread :stuck_out_tongue:
This case looks good but is there something better now!!??

Unfortunately not that I would know. If you find anything, post it here.

2x18650 Fenix case?

Its out of stock at GB…

Bumping this thread….The solarstorm pack is currently at $6.39 now at GB on promo! I might finally get one….lol

You have to be extra cautious with this case (earlier gen). I left a pair of 25R in it over a few day without using, and one pc of 18650 got drained down to 0.4V !!!

Ah I thought it was the more recent version. Thanks for informing me.

I am not referring to that particular product ID from GearBest. I bought mine back in 2014 (gen 1 or 2). Just keep an eye when you are using it. Use protected 18650 just to be safe.

There have been many reports over at MTBR of 1 pair of cells draining but the other pair not draining (either at all or at least not evenly with the first pair). Be sure to keep an eye on your cells used in these cases!

-Garry

This is $6.39 on GearBest right now. Promo ends in 6 days. I just ordered 2.

http://www.gearbest.com/diy-parts-and-tools/pp_119294.html

Folks - is there something similar on the market for 4x26650 instead? The only thing I can find is 4x26650 battery pack with hard built-in noname 26650 cells. But no any case that can allow me to put & use mine own 26650 cells. Any tips & recommendations are highly appreciated, cheers!

I didn't know 6 cell version was out since Jan.

I recently received a” 2 x 26650 case”:https://www.ebay.com/i/273007284923?chn=ps, which I have yet to fully test. I expect it to be as bad as the Solarstorm 4x18650 case.

-Garry