Host with good throw and heat dissipation?

Hello everyone. A bit of introduction…

I’m new here, but have been collecting flashlights for 6 years. I’m a very active member on cpf. Never been a fan of DYI, always bought expensive “good brand” lights.

2 weeks ago I came across the convoy S2 host on FT and it caught my attention more than usual. Ended up building a Triple Noctigon XPG, QLITE 4A driven, 3up optics, copper spacer and UCL from MTN. This thing is crazy!!! At 1M it puts out 3,250 lux, while the sportac triple P60 drop was only 2,600. After this I ordered another Convoy S6 host to build a RGBW light.

So, I’m officially into this inexpensive mod thing. I want to build a heavily driven (3-5A+ XML-2) light that has good dissipation, medium to good throw, something that can be actually used outdoors and have real runtime. If it produces 50kcd or more I’m happy.

There is also the option of dedoming the maxtoch X2. The numbers looks sweet, but I would like to be able to build something on my own.

Saw the XINTD X3, is it a good host?

Thanks!!

The XinTD X3 is a nice tourch with a large reflector and good design that allows many different battery types to be used. Although I admit, I’ve never seen it as a host before.

Something like the X3 or maybe a C8 would seem to fit the bill, although there really is no shortage of torches to choose from these days. Addressing a couple of your points more directly:

Heavily driven This means different things to different people. But you may want to decide how you want to drive a light, then look at available drivers. Personally if you are using an XP-G2 or XM-L2 then I’d say “heavily” driven is 3-5amps.

Heat dissipation well the key things here are; material, mass and surface area. So assuming you are going for an aluminim light and not a stainless steel one, material should be fine. It’s then a trade off in physical size & weight vs mass & surface area. Your intended use should really decide this. Small lights can be made to have huge output and lots of heat, but if you only use them in that mode for 30 sec to a min at a time, it’s no probs. The issue comes when you need to leave it on for 20+ mins at that output level. Basically a small host is just not going to cut it. The flip side is, how pocket friendly and portable do you want the light to be?

One thing, you’ll be wanting a Direct Thermal Path for the LED. So make sure the LED star is a Noctigon or SinkPad II.

Throw This is dictated by LED size vs reflector size and total reflector size. E.g. if you put an XM-L2 and XP-G2 in the same size reflector, the XP-G2 will throw further because it has a higher surface brightness and in terms of ratio is much smaller vs the reflector. The downside is, a smaller hot spot, less bright spill beam, lower lumen output and often a wider contrast between hotspot and spill beam. This is why the old XR-E still makes a great thrower today, so long as you don’t mind the pencil beam.

Along side this, simply making the reflector larger in diameter will also increase throw. Hence why a C8 out throws a tube light, even with the same emitter and driver. Reflector depth won’t really affect the throw, this affects the size of the spill beam and the intensity of the spill beam.

If throw is important you may want to look at de-doming an LED. This can significantly increase lux readings. But of course there can be downsides.

And lastly the other option is to use some kind of TIR or aspheric lens instead of a conventional reflector. High lux readings in a compact size can often be achieved, but can end up with the torch being less useful.

Runtime Well this is going to be affected by your other decisions. But basically there are two angles to look at this. It’s easy to get long runtime by just using a high mAh power source. But you may not be able to get the high output and lux by simply doing this.

Meaning, 1x18650 will typically give you 2600-3100mAh. And can support fairly high amp draw. But the longer you use the light, the less able the cells will be able to deliver the amps. So it’s likely to fall out of regulation and max output pretty soon. So if you will be happy with a long runtime on a lower output, then a single 18650 will work fine. But if you are wanting to sustain max output for longer, then you’ll need to look for other options.

1x26650 will be a step up from an 18650, more amps. So should hold regulation longer and with longer over all runtimes. But you may still find if you are driving it hard enough, that a single li-ion of any type just won’t keep up with the voltage demand. That said, there many lights that use 2, 3 or 4 18650’s in parallel to good affect, but this is because it spreads the demand over all the batteries, so they don’t suffer the voltage sag the same as a single cell light.

Or you need to look at running in series. This config means you will not suffer with a voltage drop as easily, as two cells will always be providing more than enough voltage. My hunch is, that li-ion in series is likely to produce the best regulation at heavy amp draws.

Of course, multi cell lights then mean larger and longer lights. So it’s always a trade off. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the detailed reply, I like the fact that the X3 doesn’t use a pill like the C8, I found my convoy S2 triple xpg doesn’t dissipate heat to the body very well, despite being able to quickly transfer it to the copper spacer.

I was planning to go with these:

-XINDT X3 for about $30… I found this host on aliexpress, same company that sells the convoy host
-XM-L2 1A noctigon 20mm
-QLite 4.5A, 90s turbo timer, OFF memory
-KK 4200mah 26650, Does the X3 fit KK 26700?

Also, I had plans for a MTG2 build. But haven’t found any good host for 2x18650. I’m not a fan of 2x18350 setup, that would be more like a show off piece, not actually useful.

As far as I’ve heard the X3 will only fit unprotected 26650’s. So a 26700 won’t fit without any modifications.

The X3 is a very nice light, with your choice of host it’s like Chickendrumstick said, it really depends on how compact you want it to be.

Another option would be an Eagle Eye X6. It’s slightly smaller than a C8 but it has an excellent thermal design allowing it to dissipate heat much better than lights similar to its size. With a dedomed xml2 at 5+ amps you could achieve over 80kcd.

Here’s a review.

Review: Eagle Eye X6 (1x XM-L2, 1x 18650)

Afraid I don’t know about the X3 and 26700’s. The only one I had I bought for my brother. I did try it with my King Kong INR 26650’s and they fitted no probs.

That said, if I was going for a high draw light, I’d personally use some IMR cells. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Efest-IMR-26650-3500mAh-Flat-Top-3-7V-Li-MN-64A-Rechargeable-battery-High-Drain-/121396261537?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&var=&hash=item1c43c7f2a1

A modded X6 is a great and compact candidate, but the runtime will not be great, on a 2900mAh cell (the 3400mAh battery is not very good for 5A for a considerable time, with 2900mAh I refer to a PF) expect no more than half an hour of serious light. Also, the X6 will struggle to run continuously at high current despite the great finning.

Thanks everyone again for your replies.

I’ve decided to make a Convoy M2 new version for a non-flashaholic friend, so nothing fancy for this build

-XM-L2 CW
-QLite 3.04A with 120s timer
-Also considering the 2.8A nanjg from FT

-

And for my own, XINTD X3

-Noctigon XM-L2 1A Dedome
-BLF20DD 8)
-IMR 26650

I would probably get a Maxtoch 2X and dedome for a real thrower.

Those are both rock solid lights, good luck with the assembly :-)

Hhmm - just got in a Courui big head from kaidomain, but same light is available from GearBest at rock bottom special of $30. It's a pretty nice quality light and has outstanding runtime and pretty good throw stock. Modded of course, it would do quite well. For better runtime, you'd have to step up to a bigger light. Here's my post on this thread from yesterday https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/29088:

Just got my first Courui in today, ordered from KD before I found out about the GearBest deal. Been going through the threads, and can't find any stock output #'s on it, even throw -- weird. So, this is what I got:

On 3 fresh LG HE2's: 2.6A tail (one cell), lumens: 734 @start, 734 @30 secs, throw: 75 kcd (taken at 5 m)

I'm quite impressed by this light stock - not what was implied in the threads. Maybe they changed things? I didn't do anything but apply Nyogel on the threads, and broke the o-ring at the head joint. Plus the e-switch stock driver isn't that bad either - with 2 simple hi-lo modes, and strobe available via long hold. Mine came with a big aluminum 25.8 mm MCPCB that fills the recessed shelf. I would not call the LED centering piece as overly high at 1.80 mm. Maybe they changed it to a lower profile one?

Also amazed of not one little droppage in output in the first 30 secs. There is some intermittent flicker, seen in the lightbox and during throw tests, plus noticed it testing. Not sure of the contact of cells to the driver or what. I'll probably first try dome wire upgrades and simple resistor mod first - maybe a big 31.5mm MaxToch MCPCB...