How are flashlight bodies made?

Cnc machined like you can see here

Haha I didn’t know people would actually be interested in paying for an aluminum can with fins xD
Looks like the hardest part would be making the threads on the inside of the cylinder, which would 100% require a cnc lathe rather than manual.
If I do try to make one and it turns out good I’ll definitely make some more and let you guys know :slight_smile:

Does anyone know what aluminum regular flashlights are made out of like the ones from nitecore, fenix, etc…?
6061 or 7075?
Most of them just say aircraft grade aluminum, and wikipedia says that that usually refers to 7075, but 6061 and others are also considered aircraft grade.

I’ll probably make it out of 6061/6063 either way, since 7075 is like $500 for a cylinder large enough for this type of light.
Makes me realize why these lights cost thousands of dollars…

Wow that’s awesome to look at, specially as a Nitecore fanboy.

Kind of interesting shape. Imagine this as a long battery tube, with certain improvements, plus the usual missing parts (head/pill/tailcap). Heat dissipation improvements guaranteed. With some smart designing, even fans could be used.

Cheers ^:)

The PalmStar EDC light from the outdoorsplus.com is described as magnesium alloy 6061, the bike light as aluminum alloy 6061 in the manual. I guess both are the same because magnesium is part of 6061 alloy. 6061 is the most common aluminum alloy, also used for bike frames and other stuff. I guess that was the alloy apple used for the iphone which had the bending problem, later they switched to 7000 series aluminum alloy

Interesting thread, I love big machines.

Take it from a machinist, you’re better off paying $700 for that light. The only way you’ll get something for less is if a buddy seriously hooks you up, or you get something with far lower detail and quality. Shop rates in the US are expensive, and Vancouver is expensive enough that we have one of your expats that moved his business to my city a couple of years ago.

As far as aircraft grade, that’s a meaningless term. All it takes is a single aerospace application for an alloy to make it “aircraft grade”. Anyhow, 6061 is probably what most flashlight bodies are made out of since it’s so common that it’s typically the least expensive. 7075 is very nice, and can actually cost less at the limits when all costs are considered.

Btw, the industry is using lots of extrusions in anything from cheap flashlights to top end AR15’s. Extrusions mean that big battery tube doesn’t require a big core to be machined out, which saves a lot on material and machining costs. If you look closely at the inside of your flashlight battery tubes, I bet you’ll see the signs of extrusion in there.

Here is an idea. instead of shopping for a good looking light to have a “friend” design and build (a VERY VERY BIG favor).

Consider starting with the application. What do you need the light to do?

I bet we can point you quickly in the right direction of (rational) hosts or parts needed to get you started.

There have been some big throwers and zoomies built on the forum, with not a huge amount of equipment needed.

Please don’t take this as intending to be harsh, But… picking out a photo of a way cool light and not being aware of what it takes to make said light with the plan that someone else who (by definition is not making that light currently) to make it, is to my mind an unfair request and thus unreasonable.

You may well have access to professional skilled labor and equipment of machine shops (but at a minimum understand the scope of the task you would be asking of them to complete for less then market rates). Or maybe you have tons of money and want to support you local machinists and other tradesmen, cool.

At the end of the day the plan that will most likely be adopted

1. buy new
  2. buy host and mod
  3. build from scratch with out the expectation of the degree of finished detail the OEM product has
  4. or much like the recently completed build contest make a masterpiece (but understand the skill and effort this path requires)

Just trying to save a bunch of time spent on researching dead ends.

No offense intended

FYI

HellFighter

The HellFighter® WeaponLight packs power and versatility into a tough, compact package that weighs only 10 pounds and measures a mere eight inches in length. It features a blinding 3,000-lumen beam with enough reach to illuminate targets hundreds of yards away and enough surround beam to make it perfect for patrol or search-and-rescue operations.

Built to withstand intense recoil and combat conditions, the HellFighter’s water-resistant body is constructed from high-strength aerospace aluminum with a Mil-Spec Type III hard anodizing finish. A 5mm multi-coated Pyrex® window protects its lamp assembly, and the window itself is protected from dust, mud, and heavy particle impact by either a swing-open amber filter for cutting through smoke or dust, a swing-open infrared for use with night vision devices (NVDs), or a swing-open opaque cover.

The HellFighter’s rugged high-intensity discharge (HID) lamp is powered by one or two military BA-5590 batteries or from a 12-volt auto battery, and is virtually immune to failure from recoil, vibration, or impact since it has no filament to break or burn out.

The HellFighter is activated via its body-mounted pushbutton switch, or by remote pressure pad switches, or by a remote grip switch for the M2HB machine gun. All cable/switch assemblies are sold separately.

The Hellfighter is available with a variety of mounts that allow you to attach it to:

M2HB .50 caliber machine gun, with or without ballistic shield
M134 or similar Minigun
M240-variant machine guns
M249 machine gun
Mk19 grenade launcher
AAV7A1 ôAmTrack” light mounting stud
virtually any vehicle or vessel with available flat surface

All mounts incorporate a T-rail system that allows you to quickly attach and detach the HellFighter from the mount.

The HellFighter can also be configured for used as a handheld searchlight, powered either by a battery pack or by a vehicle accessory (cigarette lighter) socket. All mounting systems are sold separately.

NOTE: The HellFighter comes outfitted with a lockable hard-shell case and your choice of swing-open opaque cover, amber filter, or infrared filter. Mounting systems, switching, and cables are sold separately. Complete systems may also be ordered. Call (800) 828-8809 for more information.

Available Models:

HF1A – HellFighter with IR Filter
HF1B – HellFighter with Amber Filter
HF1C – HellFighter with Opaque Filter

And just for grins the specs on paper are laughable

Output 3000 lumens
Length 8.0 inches
Bezel Diameter 4.1 inches
Weight w/Batteries 10.0 pounds

Anyone else find themselves watching videos of machines machines things for the last 2 hours?

This is very cool way to start your journey if not: Incredible machinist trick: Cube in a cube - YouTube

I like watching machines such as cnc mills, 3D printers, lately i also like laser cutters. The little ones for engraving wood are so cheap nowadays. Im just thinking what i can do with it all the time.

Laser cutters are fun to play with. Watching them is fun but it makes your eyes hurt after awhile.

3D printers are lots of fun to watch with smaller items that you can watch come into being before your eyes.

Here is the company I work for as a Builder and Mechanical Service Tech.
Official title - Manufacturing/ Installation/Service Tech.

http://www.mag-ias.com/web/en/index.php

Just came home Thursday, spent 5 months at Cummins Diesel, Walesboro, Indiana.

Thanks :slight_smile: I know what lights Surefire makes, I just wanted to use that one as an example of the “can” style light I want to build.

Thanks, you’re right, my university has the tools but I would need a lot of metalwork experience to be able to use the tools myself so I would be relying on someone else to do most of the work for me.
The only ones I would be able to use myself are regular lathes, the CNC ones are in a special lab and you need an instructor to be there.
I think I’ve found a good retail option for about $250 US that I might go for instead.

Thanks, I would design the light myself, but I would definitely need someone to help me with a CNC lathe so I’m just looking for retail options now instead.
AFAIK there are no plain hosts with this style of “can” light with a handle, so the only options are to buy one of these lights or build your own.
I have built flashlights out of PVC, so I’m not a complete noob, but I wanted this one to be full aluminum and have a more military look to it.

Haha yeah I was admiring how precise and beautiful those machines could shape the aluminum :slight_smile:

absolutely.
a good head with a solid shelf will be machined from a solid chunk.ones with a tiny ledge are also likely starting from an extrusion.
its all about reducing the steps required to get to finished part.this is why all the cheapie lights have the tiny ledge for the emitter plate to rest on.
no need to machine a solid bar to make a tube.
this comes from being in many shops fixing cnc controls and owning a bridgeport with an mx3 system on it.

:person_facepalming: Only on BLF…
:smiley: :beer:

Sometimes, yes. I can watch those video’s for a whole day. Just awesome to see how a chunk of metal is being processed to form a product.

Yep, and why the driver/mcpcb section on large diameter lights are either necked down or not very long with a separate reflector section, although that can also be a trick to allow less expensive stock. As much as I’d love to make a head starting from 5x5x5 stock, the stock alone would cost more than most of my lights.

Nice work. I’m looking at trying to break into that field. It seems like it’d be much more interesting than most machining jobs, and the salary potential is much higher as well. Sales engineer would be awesome too, but that’s going to take several years to get to where I know enough to get certified.

It would cost about $25. Dont think that your lights are less expensive.

It’s about 3x more in the US from McMaster. FYI, I’m using inches. $25 looks about right for their shortest length of 5cm^3.

I have calculated cost for $5/kg (yes, weight was calculated for dimensions in inches). In fact is it even cheaper.
Retail companies can set any prices. Usually, Im not ready to pay for material (solid rod) more than 2-3 times more that material’s exchange price.