How Can a NOVICE Test or Check to Make Sure the 18650 Cells Are Good and Performing as Needed?

Hey all,

I have a few lights and a few more on the way and most of them use the 18650 cell. About 6 months ago a member here who is reputable helped me get some good 18650 cells. That was probably 3 regular and 1 protected. Then a few weeks later I bought some from another member that I was told was a trustworthy guy and that his word is good. I bought 6 of them, I think. So I have a few in my lights and a few sitting around in a baggie without a charge until they are needed.

As I am getting ready to buy a couple more lights, better lights that I have now and they too are going to use the 18650 cells. The difference this time is that the lights I am getting now are higher power throwers and then a new Convoy S2. I’ll likely buy a couple more cells, good ones, to make sure I am using the right cells to get the most out of the new lights I have coming.

I’d like to know how I can check and verify that my cells are good and that they are able to perform as they should. Do I need to get a volt meter or some other testing gear? I’d like to know the output of these cells. If I have a light that needs a certain level of power from the cells to perform at it’s peak, I want to get cells that will fulfill the requirements and be able to know, rather than just trust what a package says or a listing on a website, or what someone that sells them to me says. You know what I mean? I don’t know a whole lot about these cells and the inner workings of these lights. I just know the basics.

Can you tell me what I need to do to make sure these cells are what I need?

Also, if you don’t mind, can you tell me if there are members here that are selling good, quality 18650 cells that I could pick up a few for these new lights if I need them?

Thank you for the help.

Nalajr

Hi!

i would defiately buy a DMM (digital Volt Meter) if i use unprotected cells!

in my opinion a cheapo is good enough i got me this from Fasttech
to measure good Amperage you have to use bigger wires (i took banana plugs and 15 cm of 4mm² wire)

to “test” a cell i use a light which draws 8 Amps on 1S3P cells and measure only wit 1 cell - most of the cheap get me 3-5 A, better pulls went up to 8A

hth
Matin

The simplest way to check batteries is to test them. How well do they function? How much light do you get and for how long?

Advanced users could use multimeters laboratory equipment and hobby chargers to do tests. Some of them publish the results here. By reading their tests you should be able to figure out what batteries to buy.

But there are fakes and batteries can be damaged by mistake. Then it is good to be able to test the batteries yourself. If you know what you are doing a good multimeter could be used for this. Lately there has come some good and easy to use analyzing chargers. There are some described and reviewed here, and even with coupon codes for reduced prices. They automatically charge and discharge a battery and measure the capacity of the battery as it does so. However the discharge current being tested is usually low, so for very high power lights that may not be enough. Then a good multimeter can help.

To me it seems that you should check out the reviews of batteries here and only buy the ones that are recommended. Also get an analyzing charger so you can test the batteries and verify that they are not fakes and that you haven't damaged them by mistake.

It is very easy to be fooled when you buy batteries, especially what seems to be cheap batteries. But if you don't want to be fooled, just stay with well known battery brands and models from reputable suppliers and check to make sure they have received good reviews here. They will not be the cheapest, but fake batteries that are unusable or even dangerous are just money you throw away...

I myself prefer high capacity Panasonic NCR batteries for most uses and high output Samsung INR batteries for very high performance flashlights where more power is needed. I mostly use unprotected batteries, but if I give or recommend flashlights to someone with limited experience of li-ion batteries, I always recommend or give away protected Panasonic NCR batteries.

And

Are the people I trust and purchase from. Both owners are true flashaholics and specs they post about cells are trustworthy.

If you want a DMM, Cerealkiller sells a modified one from harbor freight for $10ish.

Wrt highest output cells, the 25R are the ones I’d go for. For high capacity, good cells, I buy Panasonic 3200mAh cells.

A simple roof bounce comparison with another bright light can determine weather a cell can supply your desired current. It takes practice to see subtle differences and is more fun than accurate. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will make sure to stay away from this seller and his torches :slight_smile:

This thread is not even about torches. I certainly can’t trust someone who has no idea what thread they are posting in.

Hi Nalajr, check out the laptop pull battery sale from 18sixfifty, those are laptop pulls but he voltage-checks them before sale, and even have the solder blob option (so battery fits flat-driver lights). Really cheap and yet much better than those ebayFires batteries.

P.S: And avoid all suggestions from spammer lightboy. :slight_smile:

Another easy way may be buy charger with test battery feature. e.g.
Opus BT-C 3100 software update —> need bigger power supply (6A - 10A) if want to test 3 - 4 batteries at same time.
Opus BT-C 3100 v2
Liitokala Lii-260

Gearbest have coupon code for Opus charger.
For software update version, coupon code GB3100 USD 36
For 2.1 version, coupon code OP3100 USD 42

Can find Liitokala in Aliexpress, around USD 19 - USD 20.