How can I increase the output of my C8?

I spent some time upgrading my C8 yesterday, but I feel like I should still be able to get more output from it. Here’s the current setup:

- New style C8
- 17mm DrJones driver H17F Driver w/ lucidrv2 - 7135 + FET

- ” XP-L HI V3 3A LED on Noctigon 20mm MCPCB “:http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_106&product_id=794

- Tailcap spring bypass

- Arctic alumina thermal compound between MCPCB and body

• Running it on either a VTC6 or 30Q

Since the driver I have has a full FET / DD, I feel like I should be able to get more output from the emitter, but it simply doesn’t seem much brighter than my S2+ (I don’t have an integrating sphere so I can’t actually measure). Can you guys help me out here? I feel like I’m either doing something wrong or I simply don’t know enough to figure out what the output should be.

If you have a DMM set it for current and measure the tail cap current on turbo. That will give you a good indication of the output of light.

Thats for a xpl hi v2 but with losses that should be close out the front.

Hello, not sure if your mod list had an oversight or not, but you didn’t mention a bypass on the driver spring. Make sure to use 22ga or heavier wire also.

I have both a sphere, and a nice lux meter, and would be happy to test the output for you, on both of your lights. However, for what it would cost you in postage, I believe you can buy an inexpensive luxmeter. This is a very valuable tool for this hobby.

Good luck

Would a lux meter this cheap be any good?

The H17F has a higher resistance FET than most FET drivers (~30mOhms compared to ~5-10mOhms) so this will limit your current some, but not a lot. Does your S2+ have a 8x7135 driver? Ideally your C8 could be ~40% brighter than your S2+. This brightness difference won’t look like a big difference to your eye.

You can use your smartphone’s light sensor to take some ceiling bounce measurements of your lights.

Buy a Sofirn C8A or check all of the solder joints and electrical connections for the best possible contact . The brightest the flashlight will be is for the first 30 seconds of run time.

I’ll try this, seems like the most efficient option. How do I measure the tailcap current? Like where do I put the contacts?

http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/Measurement%20UK.html
That link should have what your looking for.

Great, thanks

Besidrs driver side bypass, a anti reflective lens should help roughly 5 percent or so with more light out the front