How Did You Find This Forum?

From New and Addicted - #16 by Suncoaster
“I came here after checking out EDC (everyday-carry.com) and updating my EDC gear… now my paypal has had a pounding thanks to you guys… but I had a pleasant learning curve as well, so thanks.”

In 2010 I bought my first real flashlight. And I had some questions about it and I wanted answers.
So after some .oogling I ended up in the other forum (Marketplace).
It took me a while before I could ask my questions in a way that did not make me look like a complete idiot.
But I was wrong, apparently. I received a lot of opinions and no real answers.
Nevertheless I stayed there, mostly lurking. Till one moment I read that the other forum was not the only forum.
I thought: let’s see, can’t be worse. That’s when I stepped from a cold drip into a warm shower. So to speak.
But I stayed in the other forum, as a reminder.

Looking at the other posts it seems that the other forum has been one of the greatest incentives to join BLF.
Closely followed by the BLF GT :wink:

After wasting money on crappy *Fire 18650 and 16340 batteries and horrible blue tinted lights from dx, tinydeal, and amazon, I started looking for reviews and the all-knowing sage, Google, led me here.

Now I spend more, but waste less.

Circa 2010, I was already modding flashlights, some of my old 3D Mags. I had discovered DX as a seller, and had bought a few lights from there: a C3, Romisen RC-G2, TK-703, SK-68, and my favorite, the Ultrafire 501b with XR-E R2 (which I still have and use).

I read a lot on the DX forums flashlight section to learn about modding, and from there ended up linking back to a very young BLF on the old .CZ.CC site. I didn’t lurk very long, joining in early 2011. Always loved the activity of this forum, no posting and then waiting a week to get a single response like on other forums I’ve joined.

Also, posts remain remarkably cohesive here. We get to enjoy good grammar, good spelling, and mostly clean language. Obviously, there is a lot of collected intelligence and education here that other forums don’t get to enjoy.

I was looking for info on the “Shadowhawk Military Grade Tac Light”. Found a link to a thread here that was titled something like: “Don’t buy the shadowhawk its a scam.” Luckily saved some money that day, but have spent a boat load since.

I found this place after searching for info on a Rey Light I got from Massdrop. People were friendly and helpful. I stuck around and lurked for awhile. I saw the Q8 project and got excited. A forum that custom/crowd designs it’s own lights from circuits and programming to cans? How cool is that!?

Started out on CPF in the budget section and the incandescent section . I wanted to boost the output of my Maglites .

When BLF came online I lurked for a while , then joined .

Over seven years ago .

My , how the flashlight world has changed since then .

Hear that pelican roar!

To answer this question I had to go back in time.

As it requires a lot of focus and physical strength my head is hurting and everything is a little bit blurry. :smiley:
CHAPTER 1
My first real flashlight

I remember getting my first ‘power’ flashlight. It had a tir lens and, if I remember correctly, a XR-E or XR-C type led. Funny thing is, that flashlight was the first (and still is the first :person_facepalming: ) flashlight I have dedomed.
It also had a integrated battery that was chargeable trough the 12v outlet in a car.
I always had the urge to disassemble everything and this light couldn’t escape it. So after screwing the bezel off and removing the lens I noticed a small led in the center of a mcpcb. I gently touched it and played with it, I honestly liked it.
But back on topic, I was just about to perform my first mod. As I couldn’t resist I touched the led again and suddenly something came loose, I just had dedomed the led! Unfortunately the led didn’t survive…
So, I needed another light. I was immediately ‘addicted’ after looking the above light in his ‘eye’ when on. You could say I had seen the light. :innocent:

That was when I started to look for flashlights. (don’t confuse flashlights with fleshlights…!! trust me)
As with most people the journey started on DX, they had so many nice lights for a affordable price.
CHAPTER 2
My first acquaintance with the crazy world of flashaholics

It was wednesday evening 06-18-2012 (18th of June), I had just created an account on CPF.
After looking around on DX and searching the world wide web for information on flashlights I came across CPF.
There was so much information floating around with a lot of people that had more lights than hair on there heads. After creating my account I made a first post in a thread where everyone could show there lights.
That time I had started to look for information to make my first light, that I accidentally had killed by dedoming it, shine again.
And I did, I bought a led and a driver. Oke, it wasn’t really a driver, just a simple single component named AMC7135.
But I didn’t stop there. There where already some things on there way to my door from DX.
Some weeks later a charger and 2 18650’s arrived. The 18650’s had the famous blue wrapper on them with ‘ultrafire’ on them. As we all know nowadays, they are crap.
The second order I ordered from DX came in the morning on 08-02-2012 (second of august). It was the first flashlight I had ordered from china, the ultrafire WF-501B.
CHAPTER 3
My second acquaintance with the crazy world of flashaholics and the modding saga continues

After reading a lot of info on the p60 style drop-in’s, especially together with the cheap chinees ultrafire WF-501B host, I planned to mod it.
A well known issue was the lack of heat transfer, I decided to improve it by making a sleeve out of aluminium. After making a nice 3d design on the PC I gave it to someone in school that was able to make it.
When searching around on the ultrafire WF-501B I came across the well beloved BLF. I couldn’t believe it, a forum specially for budget lights. So I made quickly an account and started to read all the info that was available. That was the evening of 12-14-2012. (almost a member for 5 years)
In the meantime I got another flashlight, a C8 style light.
That C8 made me make my first post here on BLF. Unfortunately after 1.5 month I stopped visiting BLF for 2 years (sorry…) while I still visited CPF.
In those 2 years I bought my EDC light, an eagletac D25LC2. I carried it everyday back then.
Luckily, 2 years later, I needed a new light. And by that moment everything went in a downward spiral…
Not only did I purchase a Convoy C8 and parts to mod it, but started to learn the dark truth about flashlights and modding flashlights.
Now a couple of years later I have way too many, but still not enough, flashlights. :stuck_out_tongue:

Simple…. Surefire D26/D36 mods for my AR rifles and handgun lights. That is when I found Randy Brogden on E-Bay, when he started PFlexPro who I contacted, and did a couple projects together over a winter, and boy was it fun!!! :+1:

Who also turned me onto both Richard (RMM) and BLF.

So Randy is to blame! :laughing:

When i was a kid, i already loved flashlights, when we went to camping stores, i was always in the knives and flashlights section :wink:

It all started when i switched to another job 5 years ago, i was talking with my new colleague and at one time we were talking about flashlights, i mentioned my Mag3D which i was very proud of and he told me maglites were the bomb 10 years ago, but heavily aged right now.

Also, i was not familiar with ‘China shipping’ and other colleagues showed me DX, and later Banggood, a whole new world opened up for me! All those nice gadgets, flashlights and prices!
So, i started searching on the internet, first bought a mag conversion, later an sk68, and then i was Happy!

Until at some point the SK68 became dull, i bought a convoy c8 (Lucky me, it was Just a gamble, which turned out a very good gamble) Since China shipping takes some time, during the waiting until it arrived, i started searching reviews for convoy, found BLF!

Now, the Mag is collecting dust on a shelf, and i don’t even knowwhere the SK68 is.

I was very happy to find blf, now i know it is not strange to have a flashlight addiction! The pictures of some members collections made me see that i was just a rookie
Come here almost every day since i subscribed, really love it. It is nice to see the evolution, it all goes so fast and i’m learning everyday

I was looking to buy a new kitchen…. :sunglasses:

I was looking for modding from the beginning. I found CPF and read a couple threads, then forgot about it. When I started searching again several months later, I was actually surprised to learn I had already joined CPF! :person_facepalming:

I read some more threads there, but I wasn’t really finding what I was looking for. So I did some more searching until I found BLF. I’ve been here ever since! But, even after all these years, I’m still a newb at modding. Maybe one day in the future, I’ll be almost as good as one of the greats of today. :stuck_out_tongue:

i was searching for a good and cheap AA battery flashlight and here i am :person_facepalming:

I forget, i think the high powered xray flashlight i tested fried my memory circuits.

after a 48+ hour blackout, I went looking for lanterns/flashlights so that we wouldn’t have to
use candles again. It’s a bit creepy walking around at night w/ a candle and seeing the reflections
from the mirrors and don’t recognize my own face :slight_smile:

I used my million candlepower flashlight to shine into the distance, and at the end of the beam, there it was: the budget light forum :slight_smile:

Lol :smiley:

Kitchens Sale
HALF PRICE + EXTRA 20% OFF *

A few years ago I made a trade on Bladeforums for some flashlights (Two Fenix and a 4Sevens) and was impressed with them over my Maglight and Mini Maglight.

I did some searching for more info on the lights I received and was led to CPF. I learned a bit over there and ended up with a couple Zebralights (which I love) and that started me on lithium ion 18650 lights.

Since I couldn’t afford to spend the same amount of money on more lights as I did on the Zebralights, I found some links to BLF, probably because of the BLF A6. I bought one (actually an Astrolux version) and wanted to find more lights that were performers but not so dang expensive.

I don’t have a large collection of lights, but being a member here has made my purchases MUCH more cost-friendly and quite powerful. This is a fantastic site with lots to share. I really like it here.