How do i get into building flashlights

Greetings,
Flashlight fanatic here.
I saw a video of someone with a triple emitter Convoy S2+ on youtube and I thought it was cool.
I have previous experience building guitar amplifier pedals, and I would like to build a few hot rodded flashlights.
Is there a source anyone can point me to as far as information, or a highly detailed build thread?
I am open to throwers or EDC - I just want to build something that isn’t currently available on the market.

> triple emitter Convoy S2+

Welcome to the forum

maybe try the search in this thread for inspiration:

What did you Mod Today

and here is a link that google found when searching

Convoy triple

Greetings ‘rothnroll’, Welcome to BLF :sunglasses:
Here is a link to our flashlight modding area. There are many different builds and modifications here. Enjoy :wink:
https://budgetlightforum.com/forum/otherled/mods

Also in the OL contest threads you can find very detailed builds
https://budgetlightforum.com/forum/misc/giveaways

Thank you, is there a build that anyone would suggest starting with?

depends on your interests
here is one of my aaa mods to high cri w TiR

some mods are simple LED swaps
some involve driver swaps
some people like 18650 batteries
some like aaa
a few people have access to a lathe, and make their own hosts
others shop convoy, for inexpensive options…
some like single LED lights
some like multi LED lights

if you want to experience a High output Triple available for cheap, you could buy this used FW3a. as a benchmark

Get an S2+. Get several of them. Hit up some suppliers for LED “stars” (16mm rounds, actually), and drivers, and such, and go crazy. They’re one of the easiest lights to mod, and you have incredible versatility, and you end up with a great EDC light.

Plus, you can use shorty tubes, 20mm TIR lenses drop right in to replace the reflector, etc.

Avoid lights with sideclickies at all costs, as they’re custom-fit drivers with satellite boards for the switch, etc.

Is there a build thred for an S2+? Sounds cool.

yes
I googled
build thread convoy S2+

and got a lot of hits, both websites and videos
try it and see what catches your eye

Have fun!

There’s really not much to them. You can make them more complicated, but a basic build is simple. All you need is the host, LED, and driver. It’s just 2 solder joints on the LED’s star. The driver comes with wires already soldered onto it. You can get everything expect the tools and thermal paste if you buy them from Convoy’s aliexpress store.

I started on C8F’s (triple led host from Sofirn). I thought they would be easy, BUT realized sometimes the host isn’t “perfect” (as WAS the case with my first host here). If you know your way around a soldering iron and multi-meter you should be fine though. S2 is a great first mod- lots of ways to go there. But maybe you’d prefer a light already built? This way you can study it prior to “modding” it.

I actually started modding lights I owned first. I sliced some domes, replaced some drivers and emitters, and generally took what I needed here at BLF. Anyway… once you pick a light, you’ll then be able to search out posts on that particular host and usually get the “tricks” you need researching any particular light. But definitely, start with something well known (again- like the S2 or C8).

Good luck… and remember you can always ASK here when you get stuck (and you might) :smiley:

My first flashlight mod was the FW3A and the Lume1 driver with auxiliary RGB leds. Since then I’ve done 2 Lume1 drivers, reflowed my lumintop tool AA to the Osram W1 led and repaired a few broken S2’s with bad drivers.
Do your research before you start. It’s not all that hard. Get a decent soldering station with all the necessary supplies and some good magnifying glasses. Watch some YouTube videos. Tons of info here on this forum.
Warning! It’s addicting. Once you start you will not be able to stop.

the triple s2 mod is a great little starter mod and it will make you feel great doing one of them

+1 on that! The right tools make all the difference. For basic stuff like soldering led wires, get a temperature controlled soldering station with at least 60 watts and one that you can easily swap tips. Use quality 60/40 or 63/37 leaded flux core solder also ( no lead free) of .031 diameter. You’ll be glad you did.