How do these solarforce lanterns work?

I am thinking about getting one of these:
these

But because of the broken English and lack of different pictures, I don’t under stand how you can hang it upside down unless it is all screwed together. Does anyone know how these work and maybe have some better/more pictures?

Thanks!

Looks like the lantern screws onto the head where a bezel would normally go…

Screw off the flashlight bezel, screw on the lantern. The stand is held on by a plastic set screw.

Yep.
This new model screws down to where bezel ring is used to be.
Pro: No need to take head off ( = drop-in won´t get dirt / drop )
Con: Basically, if too tight, you will need a tool to open bezel. With Head, easier to do by hand.
Con: First diffuser sits farther away from emitter than in older model = eats a bit more power than the older model… (makes the beam that gets to the lantern narrower, walls absorb some light.)

Budget solution:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/portable-beam-soft-diffuser-for-flashlights-318mm-inner-diameter-p-4439

There is another fairly current thread going for almost exactly this topic - and includes the sub topics of SF lantern head vs diffuser and the pros and cons. I will see if I can find it.

By, the way, I find them very useful. My .02 :money_mouth_face:

If you have SF lights, buy at least one, you won’t regret. Useful for so many different things.

(Where is that other thread…?)

I got a few from Lighthound in TX. Same price as SF sales in HK and shipping was free over $75. Service is great, highly recommend them, have it on your table in just a few days rather than weeks. I have bought much from SF sales too, but sometimes can’t wait that long.

I have 4 or 5 of their lights, so I probably will buy one and then make a “kit” of all the stuff I need if the power goes out!
Thanks for the idea about looking at light hound. I have ordered some stuff from them before and i came very quickly. BUT, please find that other thread…I am looking forward to it, and my search turned up nothing!

Here are 2 recent threads on lanterns. I bought 2 of the Solarforce lanterns recently and they do no better than a $5 lantern I bought from T-Mart. The drop-in I used was an XP-G R5 so maybe an XM-L will do better.
link
link

Thanks for finding those for us (me).

There certainly is not much ‘tech’ or innovation in lantern design at this point. Whole big field for someone to step up and do better - I believe that one reason is that the users are not demanding like the real flashaholics are. You buy it, it sits on a shelf for months, maybe years, waiting for a power outage, picnic, campout…

I think my Black Diamond products are the best designed, but there is nothing budget about them. And their best lantern, you’d need 3-4 of them to approximate the output of a single mantle gas coleman.

I ‘frosted’ one of my SF lanterns, with the XML it does a nice® job. For what it is. Since I am already carrying a bunch of SF products on my campouts (mostly backpack or kayak), that is why it works out best for me…I don’t duplicate batteries, drag extra lanterns around.

We ‘go dark’ relatively quick, so if we were car camping, it wouldn’t be my hot set up, got my 12v’s for that.

(I am laughing, just below the box is an big advt for “OLDE Brooklyn Lantern”! who has tried one?!)

My mom actually has an Olde Brooklyn Lantern, can compare it to the Solarforce lantern if you want. They seem to be about equal on output.

What are you trying to do, start a border war…?! :wink: