How do tou take apart maglites?

I did a search of this forum and couldn’t find a how to for taking apart maglites. This applies to D cell and mini mags. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vestureofblood made a video recently but basically you remove the switch button cover, put the switch in the on position, and use a #8 torx wrench to unscrew the set screw that holds the switch module in place after which it slips out the tail of the tube. Link to video thread

Well, you put the switch in the ON position first, then pinch the rubber cover to remove it. :wink:

It takes some 3 full revolutions of the set screw to clear everything so it will slide out.

I couldn’t find a thin enough T8 to fit inside so I ground off the shaft until it would fit through the switch. Be prepared for something like that. :wink:

Also, be prepared to remove the coil spring in the base of the switch assembly, it looks relatively small but it goes into the base about a 1/4” and is LONG… lot of resistance right there!

For the 2D, it is as rufusbduck and dbcustom say - only thing i can add is, if you don’t have torx, you can also carefully do with 5/64 hex key. you have to poke slowly with the wrench till you find the screw groove. then slowly and deliberately rotate counter clockwise to unloosen.

for the AA mini led, you can search youtube for how to take apart maglite mini - basically after unscrewing the head, push the led block from the top using a dampening layer like an elastic exercise band so as not to crush the led. push hard till the entire led assembly drops down into the battery compartment. i was just successfully doing it this morning. it will feel like you are not doing it right till it finally happens - and then you realize you are in maglite heaven.

There are tons of videos on YouTube for Maglites. It's also one of the things that are looked at as a waste of time to many, because there are so many different lights in the world, all needing different tear down methods.

See, it's kind of like this, if you have a good amount of common sense about tools and taking things in general apart, then you don't really need the information, since just looking it over allows you to figure it out yourself easily, but if you struggle with simple tear down ability, like taking a flashlight, or headlight, or some other object apart, then people don't waste a lot of time on making videos on things like that. I am not saying that is right, but it about how it is on a lot of simple stuff.

Justin’s right.

When I took down my first MagLite 2D, I knew nothing about that set screw inside the switch. I removed the lock ring above it and took the switch out from the top, only to realize how backwards I had gone about it. Taking that ring out Was Not Easy! Which should have told me something…

I love this forum!! As you can see I am a recently admitted flashlight addict. And to ask a question and get quick detailed answers from legends of the likes of rufusbduck, dbcustom and old Lumens is very encouraging. I appreciate your help as well radioshaq Thanks guys!! :+1: :smiley:

A few months from now, with the addiction becoming an obsession, you’ll be cursing us for not advising you to turn and run…

The older D cell lights use a 5/64” hex for the ground screw in the switch housing. Newer ones, a skinny shaft T8.