How do you keep lint and small debris from falling into your reflector surface???

Probably everyone that has ever modded a flashlight runs into these problems at one point or another, either you don’t care, learn to live with it or maybe try and fix it (Or make it worse!) what do you do?

1. How do you keep small floating lint or debris from falling into your reflector when you are modding a flashlight? Any tips or tricks?

2. How do you remove them once they have landed on your reflector? Any tips or tricks?

3. How do the manufacturers do it when they are assembling hundreds at a time?

Thanks in advance for your replies! :slight_smile: :beer:

AlexGT

1. Wash your hands, and wear gloves. Do it in a dust free area. Do not move the flashlight when doing the mod. Keep pets out of the area.
Clean the area with a vaccuum cleaner, and wait for the dust to settle. Try to do the mod moving as little as possible.
DO NOT TOUCH THE REFLECTOR.

2. Use a blower from the reflector opening, or a can of sprayed air. Blower is better since it’s reusable.

3. Same tactics as number 1, but they are doing it in a clean room, hopefully. Not as extreme as semi conductor manufacturing, but way better than most homes.

I’ve learned to accept it since it doesn’t really seem to affect things when using the light.

I have a German Shepherd so dust and hair is a fact of life. After coming to the conclusion a portable clean room was not in the cards, I quickly learned to wrap lenses in tape and remove and reinstall reflectors inside bags. For a really filthy reflector I’ll give it a bath in distilled water. I don’t touch them with anything.

Bob_McBob mentioned that he disassembles Zebralights inside a new, clean reclosable plastic bag.

He leaves the lens and reflector inside the bag while modding, then reassembles the light inside the bag when finished.

Seems like a great idea.

EDIT: It seems Bob heard me typing and beat me to describing his method. :partying_face:

I put painter’s tape over the openings Unfortunately you can’t do this if you have to mod the LED aperture or grind the base down. I just rinse mine with distilled water and let it drip dry.

Me as well. Maybe I should fire up the laminar flow hood. When a HEPA filter isn’t enough I went next level with a ultra-low particulate air (ULPA) filter. Ironically, its been collecting dust. Notice the air isolation mounts to reduce vibrations. Actually, never hooked up the yellow meter to test the pressure differential to determine when to change the filters.

The few times I disassembled my lights, I just blew on the reflector or ran a clean microfiber cloth over the inner surface. Doesn’t get rid of ALL of the lint and dust, but keeps them to a minimum that doesn’t bother me.

I use something like this kit: