How do you organise your batteries?

Just an update, as I gave into my eneloop fangirl and bought some of these neat cases from Ebay:

I don’t know what cheaper cases are like from DX and 7dayshop but these eneloop cases are quite hard to open and are made of a thick transparent plastic. They fit 4 AA or 5 AAA but the 5th AAA rattles a lot so I won’t use that space. There is no seal so I doubt they are waterproof.

I found the same cases on Amazon here, very cute, and useful! Don't have a ton of batteries, so I have 1 each for AA / AAA rechargeable and primaries, and I keep spent to-be-charged cells in a drawer.

I wrote number on my eneloops using permanent marker. It help me recognize which battery I was using.

PowerPax is a nice battery organizer and pretty cheap.

I have a few of these battery holders from tmart.

They hold 16 batteries each (both AA and AAA fit). Each of the 4 packs come apart from each other. So you can recombine in different sizes. They’re also available in different colors, which allow for sorting. For example, I have various “sets” AA Eneloop, AAA Eneloop, AA LiIon, AAA LiIon, AA, etc. The strange thing is the clear ones are more expensive than the transparent blue…

Can’t beat them for the price.

I came across these PowerEx MH-BH8AA 8-cell cases and thought I’d share:

Hmm… Nice, but, $5 minimum order, and $6.02 shipping for me (east coast U.S.).

Oh wow! >.< They are cheaper on Ebay then.

I storage all my batts charged in this plastic box, check the pic

And I just receive four of this tube for storage two 18650, great for outdoor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300771227965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I use a mix of methods, depending on which cells it is. My LSD NiMH’s are mostly from Thomas Distributing and they send the powerex cases when I order from them. I have 2 of the 8x and 14 of the 4x cases. In photography I have 4 flash units. Each set of cells are labeled as belonging to a specific flash unit and kept in 4x cases. When they come out of the flash they go into the case in 2 up 2 down configuration the way they’re in the flash so I know they need charging. This is usually done the day after, many times a wedding is a 14 hour day so while I’m downloading the files into the computer I charge cells. This is done with a Maha 8 bay charger for the AAA and AA’s and I just got another that will do AAA, AA, C, and D cells in any mix up to 8 cells. So I can now charge 16 cells at a time, with soft charge and refresh features as well.

My Li-ions are pretty much all in lights, with a few bare spares. These are always charged after use and the spares are kept charged as well. Don’t have any 2x Li-ion lights, all single cell (oops, I do have 2 Mag lights that are 2D and take 2x 32650’s, again though these are kept in the light and kept charged.)

Wish there were an electrically sensitive tape with digital readout to put on a battery tube that would show voltage so I’d know just how much that light has pulled and when to charge :slight_smile:

I’m pretty good at keeping the Li-ion’s topped off before they hit 3.7V but have occaisionally had one at 2.65V or so!

This is a great idea, Transparent shrink wrap, and what it's good for.

Clear heat shrink tubing for 18650’s! Make labels and put them on the cell and you know all the specifics that pertain to your style of organization!

Just bought 12guage shotshell holder from cabelas, local to me and works great.

I came across these Power Pax holders and thought I’d post them as they are a little unusual:

I use those for my AA and AAA. They are great and I love the glow in the dark ones.

How firm are the retention tabs/notches on these? Would cells stay inside with a good shaking and knocking about?

Hmmm, now just why would you be giving your possibly explosive cells a good shaking and knocking about? :~

That would be telling! :bigsmile: Seriously though, are they really that volatile? (This actually makes me wonder how those LED hula hoops are powered).

I have orange color of these powerpax holders. Very good and compact.
They do not shake in the holder.
Also use 4xAA cases from DX.

Li-ions can be that volatile. If the case get’s dented it seriously affects the chemistry inside. NiMH are not anywhere near as bad but the possibility is still there to some extent. The case you show is open on the sides, top and bottom. Shaking may not be much of a problem, but knocking about of any batteries is not a great idea.

And yes, I was playing devil’s advocate with your word choices! :slight_smile:

I do depend on my cells though, so the “knocking about” part is prohibited in my battery care 101 guidebook. :wink:

I’d like a more protected, possibly waterproof, storage box for that many cells. I mentioned that my NiMH’s reside in PowerEx cases, they themselves reside in padded Pelican cases with my flash gear. Not much knocking about going on in there, I hope!

I don’t have any Li-ion cells, but I will bear that in mind with the spare camera batteries!