How do you organise your batteries?

I use shotgun shell holders to organize all of my 18650s. After affixing a small piece of foam to the inside lid, they are snug and rattle-free.

Dual belts and an angry magicfire? J)

If the cells are in parallel there IS a circuit. Current will flow from the higher voltage cells into the lower voltage ones until all cells are at the same voltage. If you have a bad or self-depleting cell, it will take the others down with it.

Hi,

I’m glad you said that, because I was beginning to doubt my sanity :)!

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I’m relatively new, and haven’t worked (or thought) much about batteries, so I’m curious: I think what you said is correct for Nimh batteries, but what about if there were 4 Li-Ion batteries. Would the problem be worst than just causing the battery voltage levelling (like blow up)? What about Alkaline or Lithium primaries?

P.P.S. Plus, wouldn’t the problem(s) be more than just voltage levelling, i.e., basically you’re putting the voltage difference across a 0 ohm impedance, which would give “infinite” current?

I store my Eneloops in the flat plastic cases that hold 4 batteries each. I do not store any discharged cells. I charge them right away and put them away. I keep them as sets of four and don't ever mix them. I do not bother with dates though. Eneloops don't self discharge very fast, so I never worry about that. I usually get the cases with the batteries, when a seller is offering cases free, with the batteries. Otherwise, I get them from ebay.

Any other odd size NiMHs, I store in plastic boxes like you can find in Wal-Mart, in the sewing section, or the fishing section.

[quote=ohaya]

Open up any laptop pack and you will find the cells wired together in parallel groups of two or three cells. Those groups are then wired in series. The cells internal resistance is not 0, so infinite current does not flow and (along with the cell chemistry) limits the max current that can flow.

When paralleling cells you absolutely do need to check their voltages first and make sure that they are well matched. If not, a lot of current will flow and possibly damage the cells.

I store my batteries in the cases it comes with. Before I store them, I would charge them.

I tried to only order batteries that comes with cases. For example, from FastTech

Been trying to look for 4x18650 cases but only appears to have 2x18650/4x16340 cases.

I have not labelled my batteries as of now, but I foresee I would in future.

I just simply store the batteries in my lights. If they appear to be getting weak, or I know they’ve been used a lot, or its been several months - I then pull them out and charge them. That way I don’t get batteries mixed up and I always have any of my lights ready and waiting for work or play.
It does get hard keeping them stocked up on batteries. But all except the last couple lights I own have their own cells. I guess that might eventually have to end the longer I stay in this hobby.

Yup! Or fully charged +ve faces right while those needing recharging has the +ve end pointing left if your case is oriented left to right.

Hi,

I hear you about the 4x18650 cases. I put in a request at FastTech, but maybe if a bunch of us do that (open a suggestion ticket), they might actually go ahead and do that.

I wonder though… has anyone actually seen/found a 4x18650 case? I did some googling and couldn’t find anything.

Later,
Jim

Yes, no one produces them. I’m sad :frowning: I had a thread asking about it, but there’s very low response.

So let’s get a bunch of guys here to open suggestion tickets at FT?

Funny thing is that there’re 4xAA boxes all over the place, but no 4x18650 ones…

Jim

As I wrote above, this is what I’m using…

Four batteries sit nicely in it, and no possibility of shorts or damage.
Dimensions are 3” tall and 2” dia.

I saw that. Problem is my wife is a “clean-aholic” (vs. “flash-aholic”), and she cleaned out all of our old prescription medicine containers (and does that every so often, regardless of protestations).

Jim

:bigsmile:

Hi,

I just ordered this:

it’s meant for 12 gauge shotgun shells, but I saw a post somewhere else that mentioned that they just about fit 18650 batteries. I’ll post back when they get here, which should be later this week.

Later,
Jim

Hi,

That shotgun shell box I linked above just arrived from Amazon, and it looks like it’ll work pretty well for 18560 batteries!

It’ll hold 25 x 18650s, plus there’s a small open/un-partitioned area on the side.

Jim

DOnt ship to uk ,(uk link below)

http://www.midwayuk.com/Plano-Shotgun-Shell-Box-12-Gauge-3-1/2-25-Round-Plastic-Green
But out of stock.
In stock here

Forget iit +£5.99 p+p

Just an update, as I gave into my eneloop fangirl and bought some of these neat cases from Ebay:

I don’t know what cheaper cases are like from DX and 7dayshop but these eneloop cases are quite hard to open and are made of a thick transparent plastic. They fit 4 AA or 5 AAA but the 5th AAA rattles a lot so I won’t use that space. There is no seal so I doubt they are waterproof.