How do you test and compare different flashlights?

I’ve seen lots of beamshots and thrower pr0n, but how do you objectively compare flashlights against each other?

For instance, I have a light that uses a single AA and a light that uses 3 AAA. Both seem to be “bright”, and both seem to have a similar throw distance, but I don’t have any way to really compare them to each other.

Or how would I be able to compare my AA flashlight against someone else s AA flashlight on the sight?

Beamshots at a set distance? Reading 1 inch tall type?

Can digital cameras read foot candles?? I know I used my 35MM camera for that before.

Having a lux meter to measure lux @ 1 meter as well as an integrated sphere to measure lumens is the best way possible, IMO.

I found a Mastech brand on Amazon for $10 + 5 S&h that had decent reviews. I wonder if this would be sufficient?
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Meter-LX1010B-Luxmeter-display/dp/B000JWUT6O/ref=pd_cp_p_1

No budget way to do it with a digital camera?

Well, I now use my thingy: Any interest in a LED/Battery analyzer device? It measures just anything that one would want to know about a light and a few things you don’t want to know. I wee-wee down my leg every time I use it… it’s that cool 8)

I don’t know…

Seems complicated…

probably has buttons and stuff.

Flashlights are like women. You can’t be objective.

I would get one good for more than 50,000 lux. 100k would be the minimum Iwould get. My Mastech goes to 200k and was around $25 on Amazon.

"... I don’t know…

Seems complicated…

probably has buttons and stuff ..."

No buttons, just stuff… OK, it does have a reset button…

Just a computer program. :D

Noob question.

If I need a lux meter, why does everyone clamor for beamshots?

A lux meter is the only way to compare all of your lights. Beamshots just give a general idea of the beam profile and throw ability. I for one prefer a reliable lux reading to a beamshot.

We are visual creatures… seeing a light head to head with another one in real life scenarios does way more for us then just seeing a number…I love triples and my tn30 does around 40k lux…compare it to my x9 that does around the same lux and it’s night and day because of the added spill light…

‘Cause we like lookin’ at photon pron…

Absolutely the best flashlight statement of a lifetime. I got to put that in my sig as a quote.

Lol, thanks Justin.
You (and others here) taught me that.

Nothing complex about it. Foy holds up two lights, declares one superior.

End of conversation.

narcissistFoy

foys statement is exactly correct .. People want numbers to say that one is somehow better than the other ,,That's just silly ..it's hugely subjective ..like a knife does it feel right , is it balanced ..does it speak to you ..??? If these things are off then no matter what it's output there is a better light out there for you .

I start with the knowledge I already have aquired and balance that out against ..Price , function ,and in some respects asthetics ..

Feel ,tint ,pwm , user interface , functionality ,price ,style etc .

End of the day you may be a AA guy and I may be a tint snob and a knurling nut..We may never meet in the middle .

I always say if you see that someone on BLF has a tendancy to wards the kind of lights you generally like ...keep an eye on them and buy what they buy ,or ask them what they think .Conversely ,I know the guys on BLF who like lights I really don't .I avoid their suggestions ..I can name names :P

Foy is onto something ..

Buy it and play with it,love it or hate it..it's up to you

I prefer quantitative measurements over qualitative. But of course qualitative is necessary too.
I want numbers and pictures.

But the best way is just to try it out and play with it. First hand experience is better than reading numbers or looking at pictures on a screen.