how hard can a dedomed XP-G2 on a Noctigon drived

Hi all

i was wondering how hard i can drive a dedomed XP-G2 on a Noctigon for a thrower build ?

According to the crash test that was posted it can be driven as hard as an XM-L2 although I personally don’t drive them over 5amps. You could probably go 6amps if you really wanted to.

From a single cell? Or cells in parallel. As hard as you can.

From a buck driver. I would say 5A. I have fried an XP-G2 at 5,3A after some use, but that might have been the drivers fault..

Djozz have tested them at much higher current. But output does not get that much higher than what you pushing beyond 5A.

Personally I prefer XM-L2 for a thrower with a well sized reflector. The throw difference is not that much when the XM-L2 is driven harder. And the XM-L2 is much easier to push harder. And you get considerably more light. The XM-L2 is way more efficient at "extreme currents", almost twice the light output compared to XP-G2.

In (small) aspheric lights, dedomed XP-G2 is superior to XM-L2. Also, in smaller lights you may not have the surface area to get rid of the heat a hard driven XM-L2 generates. So XP-G2 can be preferable..

thank you 18sixfifty and RaceR86, i have tryed this driver yesterday with 2 cells is series it gives about 4.7A it drives XM-L2 very good but when i used it with XP-G2 it fried right away .

so RaceR86 if i will use a big reflector you mean that using XM-L2 drived at 6 A is better than XP-G2 drived at 4 A in throw build ?

That TR-3T6 is know for easily killing single emitters.

A bit more info here.

Yes, Id much rather take an XM-L2 @ 6A vs XP-G2 at 4A.

Id even taken an XM-L2 @ 5A over and XP-G2 at 5A. But Im no fan of "pencil beams", and I prefer some decent output..

I had XP-G2 at more than 5A in this beamshot comparison (STL-V6 with copper pill). I was not impressed. I was much more happy after I changed to XM-L2.

These days, I prefer XM-L2s as seen in my latest beamshot comparison of throwers..

That driver is fine with XM-L2 but it seems to have surges although I have had no problem running it at all.

I agree that with most bigger lights XP-G2 is not the way to go, But there are some big lights that are fantastic with the XP-G2 as well. It really depends on the light and how it is able to focus the Beam and really how far away you are need the light to throw.

Good luck with your build.

I prefer XP G2 S2 dedomed @ 5A and a big reflector.

Great Output and less spill.

This constellation makes a real thrower.

But this is a question of taste…