How likeable is the XPL HI 4000K (5D) tint?

5D should be very rosy. If you get it and it’s still too green, you can always sandwich a lee 804 between the lens and optic.

Thanks for all your input. My only high CRI light is the Sofirn SP36 with LH351D 5000K emitters and that one is a disappointment. While the CRI is definitely there, overall tint is pretty green.

true!
duv is what we call Tint… the sun has green tint of duv 0.0032… the LH351d is farther away from the BBL, and is indeed greener

focus on the number in the green oval (smaller number, closer to 0, is better):
5000k LH351d:

by comparison, the SST-20 is less green, it has a lower duv than the LH351d
and the SST-20 also has more Red output, and a tighter throwier hotspot than the 351d:
SST-20 4000k 95 CRI:

maybe give High CRI another chance, with a smaller, less green tinted LED :slight_smile:

This is interesting, thanks for the graphs. Is there any real disadvantage with SST20 4000K 95CRI? Why are they so frequently referred to as poor man’s XPL HIs?

My opinion is CRI isn’t everything. CRI-Babies are like audiophiles and spit at the mention of anything under the metrics but I think a pleasant tint for everyday use is just fine for most us. I get we are in a flashlight forum but, ultimately, it is whatever works best for you.

I have over 100 lights…from very crude utilitarian ones to large custom ones and maybe 60% are high CRI including a few custom 219B sw45k’s and E21s in Zebras. The truth of the matter is I use my stock zebra sc64w Hi and LT1 the most of the time. My PL47 and Wurkkos FC11 gets a lot of usage around the house as well. You can graph peep all day and talk about the BBL being the “One Line to Rule Them All” but I find it amusing to be honest. High CRI is great but I wouldn’t let it be your only decision maker.

Also, my D4V2 XPL HI 4000K is great…don’t listen to the haters. The SST20 is a great every light emitter but just isn’t that special to me. The XPL is more efficient, throws farther, stays cooler, and is brighter than the SST20 to boot.

less lumens, more CRI

here is an xp-l hi
I call that R9 Red CRI bar pathetic, it looks like a limp lingam :smiling_imp:

(pic is a link to original info from maukka)

it is true the sst has greener tint than the xp-l hi, but not greener than sunlight.
Both are greener than the incandescent BBL.

it is 2020, friends dont let friends settle for Low CRI :disappointed:

time to look beyond lumens and tint
it is time to also consider Candela, and Color

4000K 5D is a great outdoor LED, its efficient, bright and looks nice. I have SST and Nichia 4000k lights, and while the CRI is impressive, they lack the ‘punch’ outdoors that makes me leave them inside or use when I’m feeling artistic instead of ready to blast stuff! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I have plenty of 5D lights and none of them are yellow. Not sure what batch of 5D Hank got this time around (maybe 5D1 or 5D4?) but the ones in my KR4 Ti look straight up PINK. It’s like a 219B without the high CRI. It’s almost too pink during the day but at nighttime I actually prefer it over my SST-20 and LH351D 4000k lights. it’s one of the few low CRI emitters I enjoy using because the tint is so good.

That’s it! My three 5D lights (KR1, RRT01, Jetbeam-II MK) all win the beauty contest against the SST-20, allthough it’s a nice LED. Have my SST-20/4000K from kaidomain (target: Fitorch P25). Lovely light, but in direct comparison the Cree looks much more rosy.

But yes, a colorful scene is best enjoyed with a HCRI LED. It’s just that this is not the only use case.

Dunno the light, but behind a TIR lens it should look quite nice. A and D are below the BBL (ie, rosier) while B and C would be above (ie, greener).

While I didn’t like the stock 4C that’s the come-with LED with a bunch of older S2+es, way way way too fried-eggy, behind a TIR lens where the colors are all nicely mixed, even the 4C is quite nice. And quite natural, more like sunlight. I often describe is as nice warm sunlight.

So if you like rosier, the 5D should be warmer and still rosier. Can’t say how it’d look in a reflector light (likely a bit of a fried-egg beam: warmer yellower hotspot and cooler bluer spill), but behind a TIR it should be awesome.

Awesome!

These XPL-Hi do run a little warmer in the color temperature range compared to others at 5000k. I have several 5000k lights and this one is way warmer. I’d almost call it a 4500k light. The XPL-Hi I have in my S2 and EDC 18 all are this way. Not sure if their 4000k is the same. But I find the 5000k very pleasant. One if my favorite. Not sure what tint it is though.

I never understood high CRI. I don’t care what the true color of something is at night, its light time. 4500K and lower reminds me of flashlights of yesteryear, dull and annoying. But to each is there own and you know what they say about opinions. :smiley:

Yep, “I’m right, you’re wrong!”. :laughing:

Your eyes and brain can/will adjust to different color temps and tints, but nothing can make up for the more limited spectrum of light. I can put minus green filters on any light, there is no mod that will improve color rendition.

The issue is when shining them at anything that is/was alive. Reminds me exactly of how older florescent lighting leaves furniture and skin looking yellow/green and dead, hell the actual spectral composition is similar to that IIRC. Dark blues and purples look really odd too and sometimes are hard to distinguish (low R9 and R12 being the reason).

80CRI XHP50 3500K? (top) vs Nichia 144A 4500K 9050 (bottom):

On a white wall, to the human eye, the XHP 50 is noticeably rosier, but once shined at anything with red tones to it the difference isn’t so clear, even to my phone’s camera sensor.

Try running thru a forrest with a low cri light VS a hi cri. Guess which one got you a swollen ankle.

LOL, that makes no sense. An object is an object weather a stump rock branch or hole no matter what the color is. Like I said, opinions. Maybe try a higher lumen flashlight next time :smiley:

We distinguish objects based on movement, contrast and color. If they’re static and you lose some of that color perception, that leaves only one left…

SCIENCE :+1:

Hunting a white wall is the only scenario that I can think about when low cri led might look better then hi cri lef. In real usage hi cri led will give more pleasant light even if it have more green in tint.