HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BE ABLE TO STACK 7135 CHIPS?I DID IT :stacked 4 each 7135's

I've had a few talks with light junkie over the phone, and I have to say that he is persistent. I can also tell that his experience has been extremely frustrating. Hopefully the responses here have given you some ideas, and I'm not going to try and rehash everything since I think that there has been plenty of good advice here.

I think that there is some basic soldering skill that is amiss here, but it is hard to tell what. Until that is figured out, I think you're going to continue to have a hard time. It sounds like you have the right equipment: good solder, and a good station.

When I first started, it was beneficial to watch some videos on YouTube about the fundamentals of soldering. Check out a few of these videos:

Being shaky and having poor vision definitely make things more difficult--I can't do good work without good light, especially with these tiny drivers. To help steady myself, I almost always rest my arm or elbow on a solid surface; when my arm is up in the air I have a much harder time stacking chips. That said, some of the best work I've seen on this forum was done by Old-Lumens, who isn't the smoothest or the youngest one here by a long shot.

Everyone has their own way of stacking chips, and there is definitely more than one correct way to do it, but this is what has worked best for me:

1. Bend 7135 legs. Use a square edged tool, like a set of needle nose pliers, to bend the legs down with a flat blade screwdriver. The chip package needs to be supported so it doesn't get broken when you bend the legs. If you look at the underside of the 7135, if you can see any of the black part of the case it isn't supported enough.

I solder all three legs and not the back tab, although for some the back tab is their preference. This may be easier if you have shaky hands because it lessens the chance of bridging between two close pins (if you clip off the middle pin). However, I prefer the front because sometimes the blob creates clearance issues if it gets too big.

2. Pre-tin existing 7135 legs. I've found that this helps speed things up a lot and reduces dealing with "stubborn" legs. I add some flux to the legs, then heat each one until it turns shiny and takes bit of solder.

3. Position 7135. I use the alligator clips on my helping hands to both hold the driver and secure the new chip in place. I don't use any glue, hemostats, or anything like that.

4. Solder 7135 legs.

First, I add a bit of flux to the 7135 legs.

Second, I clean my tip and add a small bit of solder onto the tip.

Third, I start by touching the tip to the pre-tinned bottom leg first, waiting until I see solder starting to take on that leg, then I drag it up onto the the upper 7135 leg, dabbing an extra bit of solder in there once things are melted if needed. The flux will make it flow right up the leg. It shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 seconds for all of this to happen if everything is right. Repeat for the other legs.

A note on heat: At no point when I'm doing this does the driver get too hot for me to touch it. If any joint is taking more than 1-3 seconds to make, something is wrong: not enough flux, not a clean tip, or incorrect tip temperature.

After doing thousands of these I can almost do them without looking now, but that is only because I have lots of positive muscle memory built up. As was mentioned, poor muscle memory can also occur through poor practice--so practice doesn't make perfect if you're practicing bad habits. It is harder to unlearn bad habits than it is to learn good habits in the first place, but it can be done.

I use a dot of arctic silver epoxy to stack the chips before soldering. Be sure not to short it to the side pins with the epoxy. Really makes the job easier and hopefully has a little better thermal path (yes, very little!)

I’ll give the 7 13th a break until next week, RMM you hit one important thing I have never thought of, pretinniting the legs prior to trying to solder and the very first video I watched he’d and tried to emulate was Old Lumens I’m sure I missed some small things and I need to find some old electronic trash parts to practice on.

For the first 1,000 chips or so I didn't pre-tin the existing 7135 legs, but even with flux I would always end up with a few stubborn legs that refused to take solder without holding the iron there for 5-10 seconds, heating up the chips and driver more than necessary. After I started pre-tinning the legs it has been smooth sailing! I will try to make a video for you.

I forgot to mention tip selection: I think that most here prefer a small chisel tip, and while I have tried several I prefer a fatter blunt round tip. I think it is largely a matter of personal preference, but if you try to use a tip with a skinny point you are going to have a harder time due to the smaller thermal transfer ability.

Not sure how fragile they are..never stacked those chips, but what really helped me holding smd resistors is using a clip..an you'll have enough time to practise as it won't move easily.

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/25581-gt-ch51-clip-heat-sink-absorbs-dissipates-heat-during-soldering-desoldering-of-sensitive-parts.html

I use these for soldering wires to boards as well..

I just learned so more new thing from RMM,I am not usinga small chisel tip but a small 5/32” tapered tip and Thanks Chibi, for the link for the heat sink/clamp !RMM where cpuld I get a small chisel tip?

What kind of iron do you have? For infrequent use, some of the inexpensive assorted variety Chinese tips are a good way to go since for around $8 (the cost of a single genuine Hakko tip) you can get an assortment of tips. I use the genuine Hakko tips now since I've settled on a few that I use the most, but I started with the cheaper tips and they are a good value.

also using alot of flux paste (not just what’s in the solder, but extra applied with a toothpick or stem of a cut q-tip) then just touch the leads, the flux draws the solder up

Makes it messy but cleanup is fairly easy with 91% or higher alcohol

Biggest trick is to NOT have the 7135 on top shift around, I used a teeny dab of superglue gel to hold it fast, AFTER I bent legs 1 and 3 down of course

sorry for hijacking your thread OP

Mpja adjustable solder station#15860 from wwwwwwmpja.com

I'm not a good solderererer at all but here's advice for what it's worth . Always flux everything and tin anything and everything that is to be soldered. then re flux everything than dip your tip in fux and re tin your tip with solder and then solder ....

Another thing I occasionally do is to somehow lock down the soldering iron and bring the work to the iron ...in certain situations it works well because you are in better control of the object being soldered .

people don't like dipping their tip in flux because it wears out tips but at the rate I solder it will be a long time before I wear out tips ..plus my friends who solder their butts off do it so I have copied it from pros ....

flux flux flux pre tin and flux , dip in flus tin your tip and go go go

That’s not a bad looking little setup

http://www.mpja.com/Mini-Solder-Station-ZD-99/productinfo/15860%20TL/
Even though it’s not as temperature controlled as some (digital temperature readout…yadda yadda)

absolutely, I use one of those brass tip cleaner tubs from fasttech, punch the tip down in it a few times, comes out clean and shiny…apply a small dab of solder to tip, then solder what I need (after I apply a bit of solder paste to the item being soldered)…biggest thing you can do is ALWAYS keep your tip clean

(some say that it can wear out the tip faster with those brass sponge things, but I haven’t ever worn out the tip yet (but I don’t solder ALL the time either) when I shut down the iron, I make sure I leave a fairly substantial blob on the tip to protect it

The brass tip cleaner is much better for tip life than a wet sponge since it doesn't thermally shock the tip as much and it usually doesn't remove all of the tinned solder from the tip.

I have a small blob of putty in my soldering box for this purpose. A tiny dab is enough to help hold small components. Much less messy and no chance to over-apply and ruin soldering surface.

I to use clay based putty (and remove it once done soldering), actually I use old detailing clay once it’s to dirty to work anymore. I tried super glue once, touched the tip to it and my eyes were on fire. Remember heating superglue is how they do fingerprints, the fumes are very intense.

If the helping hands can hold everything tight and aligned, why mess with super glue/putty/epoxy? It seems like an unnecessary step when you already have a tool that can do the job faster and with less effort. Hold the driver and new 7135 by a single point in the clip. If you don't have helping hands, they are around $5.

Exact model it’s small and only 50 watt max ,I thought it would do the job and I do have helping hands with a magnifying glass , now ever the alligator clips swallow up the 7135s.

Well I’ve learned a lot from this thread so far. :slight_smile:

I too dislike this task but will make a contribution to the mix. I dab a little JB weld on each chip to be stacked and nudge the new chips into place after pressing them down a bit. After it sets I clamp each stack in the vise and bend the legs down and solder with the board vertical and the bent legs horizontal. Then rotate the board to the next stack, bend and solder, and so on. I’m sure one of the suggested methods will work better than others, I tried a few myself. Also, not just elbow support but forearm support will dramatically reduce unwanted hand movement. That and I don’t even try without a magnifying lamp.

I have got quite a few great ideas for different techniques, , I gotta be honest when I I’m watched
Old Lumens you tube video, he made it look sooooo eaasssyy!I figurwd I would have it whooped in less than an hour well now many mangled solder blobs I see its much harder than it looks my hats off to Old Lumens ! Chibi thank you for the link I went to order a pairon of these clamps but there is a 5.00$ handling charge for any order under 10.00$ Dang it I really wanted to give them a try . Any how thank everyone for the great information, I’ll have plenty of time to try over and over during recovery, I am saving this page to use as reference ,this really means more than you all k ow to me!