How low ? How often? How come?

I have/had a Yellow Photon Freedom. I found the the mag clip when I moved. I am sure it is somewhere with the neck holder on it.

Thanks for reminding me of that light.

Is it useful as a locator? Do you use it that way?

In pitch black? Yes. I can see it with my night adapted vision, not easily, but I can notice it.

Otherwise, it’s not useful. Any light pollution in the area, either inside or outside, will make it almost useless.

0.5 lumen / 5 nights a week / SSDI subtle sock drawer illumination

–0.08 lumen for middle of the night movements around the house. Thrunite Ti5. (Alternate is 0.1 from Thrunite Archer 1A v3).
–0.5 lumen from D4 for anything before bedtime when I don’t have dark adapted eyes.

Some combination of these at least several times per day.

As Lightbringer said intensity seems to matter. I perceive the 0.08 as about half of the 0.1 rating. The ratings may not be accurate. However, it also has a hotspot twice the size of the brighter light and that seems to be a big factor.

I have been playing again with the lows. I have a M2 with a low I can almost stare down the barrel. A triple that I can’t tell is on until my eyes adjust. And a Lexel TA driver with Narsil that bleeds when off that I have to cup my hand over with adjusted eyes to even tell its on. Last night I slept with it pointed directly at me .

It worked great as a locator. My Anduril D4 at its lowest is about right for bathroom ninja stuff, but my lemens box doesn’t measure its output.

fun times… lol
I did the same with my RRT-01, pictured on left… much lower low than the HDS Rotary minimum of 0.08 on right

Hey Jon, I was wondering when you were gonna stop by. If I remember your a low light ninja :slight_smile:

My Skilhunt H03 is crazy low. Its not intended as the light is off. I like it as a locator. Totally useless unless your looking at it from about 2 feet.

3 x little “moonlight?” no-name torches. $3.50 AUD del, for the 3.
Red. Blue.Silver. One tail sw doa??. Shrug.
Magic. Size of a Camel. Just hide it as you walk past the bosses bedroom.
One my side of my bed… Otherwise AO1 on one.
She has bedroom light on when she goes.

Sub-lumen or a super dim ‘moon light’ is a completely wasted mode for me to.

How low do you go teacher? If its 50 lumens let us know :slight_smile:

Oh, somewhere in the 3 lumen range can be useful to me at times. Otherwise, around 10 is just fine on the low end for me.

If 0.1 lumens seems low it sure doesn’t feel like it when I’m shining it on my sleeping kids for a nightly check in. I’m concerned about it waking them up. It’s enough to ceiling bounce instead.

So i tried my night vision last night, comparing lowest modes of the Astrolux A01 (first batch = Manker), Manker E02 and Skilhunt H03.
Of those 3 the A01 has the lowest low.
I was surprised to find that i could actually navigate the darkness with it.
So my eyes are not as worn down as i thought.
But, i definitely see a lot better with the Skilhunt or the E02.
No idea what lumen numbers go with these lights, but none the less, i’d rather have something like 30 lumens or a bit more.

I like that monicker, thanks…

I note there are 3 of us RRT-01 Ninjas in this thread… we rule! LOL

some people have no need for sublumen levels… some of us find them extremely useful… different strokes…

the beauty of the RRT-01 is that it reaches the lowest lows of any light I own, while still being able to produce double the lumens of my HDS

Ive been in Flashlight Nirvana since my RRT-01 got a High CRI LED

Happy dimming!:slight_smile:

The lowest lows suit me very well. Surprisingly the Q8 Narsil is a good one, you can adjust it yourself precisely to a very low level indeed.

It would last many years at such levels, but you’d have to cover that annoying switch LED with some tape, a black boot or just rip the wire or LEDS off. As for having permanent “Aux. LEDs” never-mind even more switch LEDs, even with blinking, I cannot imagine anything worse. Horrendous.

If you like to take night walks in dark-sky areas, appreciate things in the sky when conditions are clear, but also need something to avoid tripping over things, or to check your watch, write notes etc.

When just touching a smartphone or using a tablet or laptop will wipe out your dark adaptation instantly. Pencil and paper still have their uses, and can be used in total darkness. If you can remember how to write clearly in a straight line, take notes etc. (is that still taught and tested in schools, along with vocabulary, spelling and grammar, or is that just left to e.g. Microsoft to correct ?)

Summary: the lowest lows are of the greatest interest to me. If a torch can’t get down there, then I’m not interested.

Here is a little test: write a post-card to a loved one, blindfold. Stick on a stamp (blind, not difficult) and post it without looking. Then ask the recipient what they thought of it, assuming that the Post Office managed to decipher the address (ours are still very good at that, particularly at Christmas, it’s not all automatic pre-sorted bar-coded business post). And it should be posted through their front door within 24 hours.

Red light used to be used because human rods don’t much respond to it and it was difficult to turn lights down to really low levels, but now that we can drive LEDs to micro levels, it’s no longer needed, actually undesirable.

By the way, full moonlight on a totally clear night can be 1 lux. That’s 1 lumen per square metre. And that is very bright. And a lot of power. If you can’t walk about easily in that, you probably have eyesight problems.

Those who are night-blind might also be suffering from vitamin A deficiency. Maybe eat raw carrots. (That’s a joke by the way, British propaganda in WWII, to conceal the real reason why our night fighter pilots were intercepting the enemy so efficiently, i.e. our secret RADAR. Not just a diet of raw carrots.)

CRI is of no relevance at these levels in scotopic vision. Human rods are tuned to respond to 498 nM (green/blue). Warm tint high CRI LEDs may seem nice whilst the cones are still working but are really not ideal.

Other animal eyes may be different. But I doubt it.

Rhodopsin is what it is, and a rod cell can even be triggered by one photon. It does not get any better than that. Look after your eyes, and learn to appreciate what they can do naturally, before you get obsessed with the big-numbers games that continue to go on here.

Start small, and decide what works for you is my advice.

And if you like creeping around quietly in the dark in the real outside world, not just going for a pee, then be thankful that options are still available.

I like to use my D4 on turbo & also blf gt on high so I can see the bathroom door clearly.

Around 10lm from a DQG spy worn on a neckchain.
Downward pointing handsfree illumination. Perfect.

Thanks for the information TomTom

NEV do you sleep in a welding helmet ?

CRX. A floody 10 lumens works for me.

Lol, no don’t be silly ,I live in a very big mansion .