How many Noctigon Meteor M43's do you own?

The reason I really like doing business with Richard is his honesty.

Important notice: The lights now shipping have machining marks and finishes that show more imperfections than the earlier lights did. Please do not order if you are expecting a 100% perfect finish on the light! The performance is still excellent, and the finish still acceptable, but I have noticed an overall decrease in anodizing and machining finish quality when compared to the earlier lights

I know many people wouldn’t care about this as it doesn’t effect performance, but this is a $200 light. A bad paint job on a new car wouldn’t effect performance either, and I certainly wouldn’t buy that car. Bummer, I really wanted one of these lights.

Which is why I want another now… An imperfect finish is fine, and means I will use it more. My Gray one was too pretty to use for a while…

I like the Wabi Sabi of an imperfectly finished M43…

I hear ya. I’m pretty anal about things like this. I could probably deal with the finish and get it Cerakoted, but defects in machining would drive me nuts !!

Now I worry what’s waiting for me when I unbox. Received a white one from Hank last week, but had no chance to open it yet… :-/

Can these [Noctigon Meteor M43] be found in the larger markets and shops in China? Some of my acquaintances travel extensively on their global sourcing/buying business trips. Wondering what it would run with the current duties and exchange rates?

How does it compare to an SRK (or clone)?

I don’t have an SRK, but I do own a Meteor. From what I’ve read:

• The Meteor is smaller. It’s considerably shorter and more compact.
  • The Meteor is MUCH better built. It uses premium components top to bottom, including a direct copper star, a full shelf, a custom driver with battery indicator, HAIII anodizing, etc. Basically, the Meteor is a premium light, at least as well built as other premium brands like Jetbeam, Nitecore, Fenix, etc. In contrast even the non-clone SRK is a cheap budget light.
  • Your choice of emitters. XPG2, dedomed XPG2, Nichia 219B high-CRI, XPL HI. Compare to most current-model SRK clones which use Latticebright knockoffs of CREE emitters.
  • Meteor’s output in lumens and throw is MUCH higher than any SRK or clone. My model uses dedomed XPG2s. Out-the-front output is around 6,000 lumens with nearly 100,000 lux throw.

As Benjamin Franklin has been quoted, “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

To the point:
A disposable flashlight costing less than decent batteries to power it, and more in return shipping charges than it is worth, from a clearing house advertising any inflated lumen output they’re told?

Understandably, you may not be able to come up with the ‘scratch’ for a Meteor….or you could decide it falls short of your needs, or aesthetic preferences.
To be fair, you might even get lucky after reading the entertaining evaluations of ‘stock’ SRK clones, and seeing the photographs of burned up components.
! !
Or…
…on the other hand, there is an exclusive state of the art ‘labor of love project’ available from respected, responsive, and knowledgeable suppliers of flashlights and components?

Yes, you can always TRY talking to somebody you acquire a ‘stock’ SRK/clone from.
On the other hand, if you’re lucky enough to be where you can purchase direct from RMM…you can discuss things with a person who actually cares, has a conscience, and offers other hard to find items with good cost-value relationships.

At first glance, the majority of third world citizens, and government agents, would be more impressed by the size and design of SRKs, Black Shadows, their clones, and most other Lumen Monsters. The Meteors have a distinct advantage in this regard when traveling. This year, while entering the concourse area for an interstate flight within Brazil, carrying a shoulder bag filled with a dozen lithium batteries, various cables, two very large battery banks, four power hubs, five EDC lights, two Meteors, their chargers, and a plenitude of electronic confusion, I was forced to step aside after the X-ray inspection, instructed to completely empty the contents of my carry-on.
They didn’t even ask me to remove the Meteors from their protective cases. Thinking they were lenses, I was presumed to be a professional photographer, and quickly liberated.

• O:)

Plus you can program the light to all lower levels and make it “less” impressive to those that may want to take them… “yes sir, it runs a long time”…

Just don’t press AND hold the button, taking it to turbo…

Well folks, for the action to give SB a Meteor, you owners are asked for advice, what is the best choice?

219C, 80+ CRI, almost no tint shift across levels…

It’s finally unboxed, perfectly working, got the two tone ano on the tube but I couldn’t care less. XPL Hi v2 5000k very nice tint for my eyes and surprisingly good cri (at least for my liking) too. Happy easter :slight_smile:

Imgur

I wish I had one but don’t. If I did, it would feel like I had cheated.
I enjoy taking things apart too much to buy a light that doesn’t need anything to be done to it. Hence I have purchased some shelf-less SRKs and made them into something actually useful and impressive. I know, I know, the SRK is bigger, not as nice build quality, whatever, but so rewarding when you’re done with the project; as applies to any extensive modification.

[quote=The Miller]

Wholeheartedly recommend the 219C option as well. I wasn’t crazy about the emitter before the M43, but it changed my mind.

One. M43vn XP-L pdtc. But that could become two, if I can find someone who can boost this timeless classic item to 12,000 lumens.

I own one of the second run Stone White ones…. forgot what tint/emitter I have, lol.

With the renewed interest in this timeless classic due to the recent Discount Buy, it would appear that some of the numbers posted in this topic could bear being bumped up a bit.

Oh, and a modified version suddenly is being offered in 11,000 lumens, with an alternative driver, in XPL dedomed, too.

If I were informed that supplies of this item would soon permanently dry up, I would grab a few more. But, maybe the much beloved Meteor will be produced forever.

+1 meteor here. Out for delivery today.

Any more info about this new modified version?

richbuff, you are obviously speaking about a direct-drive V54 modified light.