How many photos do you like to see in a typical flashlight review on BLF?

Good to know what you want to see in flashlight reviews. I will use this thread as a reference for my future reviews.

Maybe I should use less fotos in my reviews… :smiley:

As it turns out, everyone likes something different.

Some like as many photos as possible, for instance.

48 photos/gifs/videos in my latest review. Slightly more than the suggestions above!

Not including videos and full size image links it weighs in at 23MB. If you’re on a slow or metered connection then it may be an issue but my thinking is that with a written review you can always scroll past any bits you’re not interested in.

Thank you RC for opening this interesting thread and thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments. I have just subscribed this thread to improve my future reviews, too. :-D

Some thoughts...

• The quantity of pictures depends on the complexity of the light and what is being shown on the pictures. A series of 30 pictures showing the flashlight in multiple angles is probably a bit too much for my taste. But if there‘s a lot to present (e.g. beamshots with multiple emitters using different colors like Wurkkos WK30) the number of pictures may vary.
  • If a complex UI is only described in written text by the manufacturer I admire those who can translate this into a nice, fancy chart/graph for easier comprehension.
  • Those who have the right tools (clamp meter, high-res calipers, luxmeter, lumen-tube, etc.) will certainly have much more to report by corresponding pictures. A great reference is maukka for sure with tons of valuable in-depth information from his high tech sphere.
  • I really like the ability to post multiple pictures side by side on BLF, like some sort of thumbnails. CRX for instance uses this technique when he presents some of his new one-of-a-kind creations. Clicking on the picture will give the interested member the chance to open up the picture in full size.

IMHO, most important in a review is not the amount of pictures but a good, balanced and differentiated observation of the pros and cons. What good is a review if there‘s nothing but superficial advertising which always repeats itself no matter what flashlight is being reviewed? I really like the video reviews of Flashoholics from UK for he always points out what could be improved as well as his great taste for background music. :-)

Let’s not forget run time graphs.
These don’t need to be fancy.
I used to do them using a iPhone video and a Lux meter.
I would just pick time/Lux off the video and chart them.
Kind of a royal pain in the butt. Getting logging software was like a breath of fresh air.
All the Best,
Jeff