How To Build a Flashlight With Perfect Modes (picture heavy)

Usually the chips are reflashed without unsoldering them from the driver PCB. For example, on a BLF Q8, remove the two driver screws, tilt the driver out, and the MCU should be exposed. It’s easy to clip onto and reflash without soldering anything.

Great, so if I use a SOP8 Clip + and Ardiono uno in isp mode then I can Upload Firmwares normally ?
This method seems simpler, Correct me if I’m wrong :slight_smile:

The USBasp is simply the same, just with a clip you snap on the chip, if you bend the MCU legs for less wide pads the clip holds without any pressure

it makes not much difference if the chip is soldered or not to flash a MCU with the clip,
while for SOP8 you need a special adapter to flash it like in the video
also flashing Narsil with LVP and Temperature calibrated you need 2-4 flashes in total

Hi Lexel and all,
I am using flashlight for Lightpainting and are active in our local youth club.
Last weekend I have given a Lightpainting workshop for 10-15 year old kids and the kids were happy.
But I realized that the multi mode switches of the cheap flashlights has made it much more difficult to paint nice pictures.
Now I am wondering if I can replace the chip of all three flashlights with another programmable chip or a simple single mode chip.
I am experience in Arduino programming and electronics, because I am a retired electronic engineer.

Any answer will be appreciated. German is my native language and emails/PM are welcome.

best regards
Peter

Welcome to BLF Peter.

Lexel has not been active here for over one year. As far as I know, his drivers can be re-programmed with modified or different firmware but as he isn’t active it might be difficult getting a hold of them. Create a new thread on the modding lights section and ask about driver recommendations, I think you’ll get more replies on what options are currently available.

Thank you Mike C,
Yes, I will follow your advice!
Best regards
Peter