How to drill holes in pill (for securing star)?

The typical screws from desktop computers look like giant monsters compared to the typical laptop screws. Many of the smallest sizes in the kit I linked will be too small for pill screws, just to give you an idea of scale (but they're useful for other things too). I wouldn't have recommended laptop screws, twice, if they were the same size as big fat desktop screws.

Hi comfy,

As I mentioned, I have a bunch of screws from BOTH PCs and laptops that I’ve collected when I decommissioned them.

Most of the laptops that I salvaged them from were older, so the screws I have were larger than what would come out of one nowadays? I don’t know, but I did check through what I had, and all of them were relatively large compared to the one from the C8 pill I mentioned.

I actually think that I have some 2.5” USB drive enclosures with tiny screws, but I didn’t want to take those, because those drives are currently still in use.

Also, re. the Ebay link, I appreciated that, but was hoping for a U.S. source, as I’ve been trying to complete a build that has been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now, so I’m a bit impatient :)…

Again I appreciated the suggestions!

Thanks,
Jim

some of the ones I took out of drives if what you get doesn’t work out for you Jim. Just give me a holler and I’ll drop ya some. :wink:

Thanks for the offer. I want to wait for the ones I ordered from the place that was suggested.

If they’re good, I’m thinking of posting a thread to see if anyone else here is interested in some of them (probably free - how much can it cost to ship a couple of them tiny screws, right :)?), because I should have 400 of different sizes :), and I definitely can’t use 400.

Thanks again,
Jim

You’re gonna have to go mod crazy to use all those tiny screws! :slight_smile: FrankenLights, with overkill on the nuts and bolts. lol

Remember how MRsDNF uses those little cap head ones to put in the switch end for anti-roll mechanisms, lots of ways to use em. I’ve even seem em soldered into a driver for the battery connection point. (yes, I removed those in favor of pure copper)

Good Luck!

Hi,

I received the screws today, 400 of them, in 4 different sizes, including 2-56 and M2, and I have to say that all of them are huge when compared to the tiny black screws that FT ships with their C8 pills, so I’m still puzzled about exactly what size those are, so I asked on a ticket if they could tell me the size.

I’ll try to post pics comparing them vs. the ones that I got, but they are definitely smaller than 2-56 or M2.

The laptop screws all measure between .075"-.078".

Comfychair is that a actual screw out of a C8 pill and does it measure 2mm. Sounds like ohaya may have something different.
A M2 screw is 2mm in diameter or .078”. Ohaya said that all the screws (including the M2) he purchased are bigger than the C8 screws.
Ohaya could you remeasure the threads using the larger part of the jaws of the caliper so that it contacts the tops of the threads on both sides. In your pick showing the diameter you used the tips of the caliper. The tips are thin and could be partially down in the threads giving you a false reading.
The next meteric size down from a M2 would be a M1.6 at 1.6mm, but that seems small from what you measured.
The next standard size down would be a 1-64 at .073”.
http://www.smithfast.com/msthreaddims.html

From this: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1208600

'Laptop screws' doesn't include screws for the HDD-to-caddy and caddy-to-laptop, those are usually 5mm(oops) 3mm which is the same thread as used in newer desktops (though with smaller/thinner heads). Older desktops used 6-32, which is much bigger. Most everything else in a laptop - access covers, case screws, LCD bezel, etc. - are going to be 2mm, sometimes larger screws used in stressed parts like the hinges. But if you strip down a laptop and sort out all the screws, 90% or better will be that same 2mm thread size & pitch. Hence my suggestion of a 'laptop screws variety pack'. Because all the 2mm screws will be the same thread as the ones used in the Fasttech C8 pill.

I haven’t had a chance to put the new screws side-by-side with the ones from the C8 pill from FT yet (rough day/night). The ones I got yesterday are silver/stainless steel, whereas the ones that came with the FT C8 pill are black, so maybe (hopefully) it’s a visual illusion. I’ll try to do pics and measurements when I have a chance.

Hi,

I don’t see that quote when I click the FT link you provided?

Quote? Huh? The FT link was in response to "Comfychair is that a actual screw out of a C8 pill and does it measure 2mm."

The screws included with the C8 pill are 2mm. If the ones you got are bigger, you either ordered the wrong size or they sent you something other than what you ordered.

Hi,

Apologies. It looked like the whole message (including the quote) was one message.

That was my thoughts also. The M2 screw should be the correct size threads. It might have a bigger head or longer in length, but should thread right in the pill. A dremel or proxxon rotary tool will take care of the other size problems.

Man, you guys are going to force me to go down the basement, even though my back’s killing me and my wife still has some chores for me… in a bit…

If you take the two screws, but them side by side with the heads pointing in opposite directions and mesh the threads together they should line up and mesh together like sharks teeth. If they don’t mesh the threads are wrong.

I didn’t do that, but it looks like you all were right. The ones from FT C8 are 2mm, but much smaller heads, and shorter:

The FT C8 screw thread diameter:

and the ones I bought:

These were the shortest one that that bolt place had BTW…

So, mystery solved, and thanks everyone!

:p

I just about bet the farm, that’s a M2. :bigsmile:
I believe your dome has fell off your led comfychair. :wink:

Yep, M2, using the original thread in the FT C8 pill. Screws came from an ancient bag marked 'Vaio display screws'. The dang heads are thinner than the LED substrate! (and bigger diameter heads than the FT screws, which didn't even catch the edge of the star)