How to have peace of mind while charging your cells unattended

Neat! So if it explodes, the fire will burn for no more than one hour.

(lol, sorry... couldn't resist)

While the placebo effect is real at least when it comes to humans, I don't think it has any effect on fire. I think you'd be safer in reality by using a hobby charger, with the temperature probe monitoring the cells, and a reasonable time limit & capacity limit programmed into the charger.

Now you got me laughing! This from the guy who doesn’t mind blowing up emitters, in the name of science :wink:
You know how human nature is, one can work themselves up about just about anything.
I recently heard a discussion on the radio about dangerous activities and risk. He said it is not the occasional high risk activity that gets us, but the frequent low risk activities. For example in the U.S. each year about 42 people die in skiing accidents, but 6000 die of falls in the home. Infrequent high risk, vs frequent low risk.
Then there is the irrational fear of flying for instance. There are fewer deaths per passenger mile in planes that cars, yet some people have a fear of flying.
Not being complacent about charging cells goes along way in protecting oneself.

And more people are killed by having a coconut land on their head than by being eaten by a shark.

XTAR uses a serial number system to verify your light or charger is genuine. http://www.xtarlight.com/10-services/p-004.asp?id=16

Exactly:

Just be sure you're realistic about the amount of security you get from the timer setup... yes it does protect against some things, but it's not comprehensive. A false sense of security is a terribly dangerous thing.

I would have thought that the LiPo bags would let the charger get too hot. No problems?

I like the idea, and will get a couple if no one mentions a problem.

Thanks,
Jerry

[dchomak wrote:]

Kudos to your coming up with very neat, elaborate system for safe charging! The drawback with that is I am not that handy in putting up the gizmo you made, and I am not that paranoid about LI blowing up. I may show to a friend in making one for me.

(One thing I don’t like about the LIPO bag is that heat is not being dissipated.)

I have developed the perfect solution. I have empowered my neighbor by teaching him how to charge all my batteries and store them for me. Now I never worry about explosions or fires any more. When I need cells, I just go to my neighbor and he makes me sign them out. He feels so much better since he has responsibility and I feel so much safer...Tongue Out

It is better to just have the cells in the lipo bag. Particularly AC li-ion chargers can get warm or hot. Some nice thermal images.
18650 holder. People have gutted cheap $1.50 chargers to use as adjusted holders too.

Does TX law allow you to buy fire insurance on your neighbor's house?

You know, just in case. I mean, you'd have to replace your lost batteries somehow. :D

LOL! Great idea!

If you’re going to use a lipo-bag, use a good one:

Or use a cash box, I’ve posted this one before:

In CT, with CLP rates being about the highest in the country, it only makes sense to be as energy efficient (and safe!) as possible… I like the set up.

Been using a heavy duty outdoor timer and put my Nitecore chargers and cells into an old large metal pot on the concrete floor at home (and/or work) if I am going to leave for any period of time…just feel safer that way.

When I travel, I tend to be more careless.

What if you slip and fall on your way over? :smiley:

What has really freaked me out is that I recently got the highly regarded MAHA C9000 for my Duraloops. I noticed that on some of my older cells, the charger would miss the cutoff voltage and pump 4000-5000mAh into a cell now and then. This is charging at 1/2C of the original capacity. I presume the reason being that the cell was faulty and didn’t charge up to the cutoff voltage. Any good cell could eventually become faulty and do the same thing. If something like that we’re to happen with a Li-ion there could be a big problem.
NiCad and NiMh chargers for the general public are usually just timed charges at a low rate. To me that was a clue that a timed charge was determined to be safer, in general, than cutoff voltage. So why not combine the two?

None of these give you complete “peace of mind”, as all require close proximity to you, your home, your family, etc.

For COMPLETE peace of mind, I have the answer!

Start with (for example only, not selling for anyone) one of these:
SolarBee 5000mAh Solar Charger

Connect it to one of these:
USB Battery Charger FOR 14650/17670/18650/18700

… which is obviously going to hold your 18650.

Now put the whole affair on top of a distant mountain and wait!

Total safety!

(Works for me! Except for the distant mountain bit. Our mountains were worn down to nubs long ago! It also works on an island in a lake, which may be even more safe as the dreaded “vent with flames” would be contained by the lake water…)

My mind is now so peaceful, it’s like my whole head is empty. I can hear that howlin’ wind!

Dim

Was that bag actually fiberglass…? Looks like it just burned. Haven’t read through all the video comments and answers yet.
Thanks for posting! Was worried some bags might be crap since chinese sellers seem to turn everything into fire hazards.

~ Edit ~
I see it was fiberglass

Also video is by the maker of LipoLocker.

NiMH uses a termination based on dv/dt and li ion uses cv/cc