How to measure tailcap current properly?

Does the driver produce a PWM output? I’m wondering what would happen if a digital sampling meter, taking a sample at brief intervals, runs into that situation.

Most DMM's are fairly good at averaging measurements.

I used 20miliOhm resistor and mV range multimeter.

then 1mV = 50mA

Hi ,
What is the Typical Resistance in a Flashlight Switch , I just measured the resistance in my Flashlight switch and it was 1 ohm ?!
is it really 1 ohm or my multimeter is wrong ? (DT830D Multimeter) :smiley:

Thanks

Hi thulfiqar, in my signature line below you can my tests, and one of them is about switches. If I remember well, the typical small Omten switch should have roughly 0.01 Ohm resistance. These are values that normal multimeters will not measure well.

I have a similar cheap multimeter and it is useless at low ohm readings.

best is to measure the voltage over it with current you know flowing through it

R=U/I

for example

R=0,03V/3A=10mOhms

Exactly. If you don’t have a good resistance meter with 4 wire testing, check out HKJ’s article under the heading Low ohmic measurement:
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/Measurement%20UK.html

Use a short piece of solid copper wire to bridge the battery to the flashlight case, and use a clamp a meter on the cable, the UNI-T UT210E clamp meter has an 1ma DC resolution, we had a group buy going a while ago as it`s such a great meter for the price.

John.

I thought that clamp meters only measured AC current, or at least the affordable ones. Does this UNI-T use a Hall effect sensor??

Yes, it does.

It`s all magic to me , here`s the original group buy it might fill in some gaps.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/37314

John.

I would rather rely on Ohms Law
than the Hall effect
:wink:

for currents below 300mA The Clamp meter is not accurate enough
you can boost the sensitivity by doing multiplying the reading with more windings through it

the DC always needs set to zero depending on the natural magnetic field around it

Thank you, very helpful.