How to perfectly clean a reflector (with cotton wool)

No way, use the tongue?? :D Does it really works? Now this is really interesting method!

Effectiveness of these methods varies from reflector to reflector. Some reflectors can develop haziness and pitting just by being cleaned with liquid cleaners or even just distilled water. IMO the best thing to do is to leave reflectors alone.

If I get a cat do you think its tongue would do a better job at licking the reflector clean?

Seriously? :smiley:

If you persuade the cat, take some pics!

Sorry guys. It was an attempt at humour. There is some good points here. I have a HD2010 at the moment that the lens looks fine until you turn it on and then it has a smokey look to it. I tried detergent and using my finger but no luck. I will have to try the windex.

Well, cats are very good at cleaning bowls! :D It might not be so difficult, use milk as first rinse....and a hungry cat :D

Cats tongues might be too rough..

I apologise in advance.

Oh no my poor pussy licked my reflector and now its a zombie cat.

Post 10 here from viffer750 has another way of cleaning reflectors. https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/12089

I use all the same equipment I use to clean the lenses on my telescope, which is basically just a brush and a cloth (made of the appropriate materials of course).

Easy, just Rub Some Bacon on It! Cat will be licking it ’till the cows come home. Then it will be licking the cows.

I just realized that my X9 reflector has some kind of haze near the emitter. I did know after accidentally looking at the emitter when it's on when observing the cloudy lens (something that I never do before). I try from blowing air with mouth and lenspen and lens brush. all they did are adding more particle on the reflector, haha..

So, I read some reflector cleaning thread and without thinking bleach it with soapy water and rinse it with toilet jetwasher, also rub liquid soap on the haze part. under a regular 14w lamp, it shines so nice. when put back to the torch, nothing change, still bad as before (some smudges disappear though :) ).

I will try this cotton woll method too.

But, anybody know why the reflector become hazy in the first place?

I learned the hard way NOT TO USE COMPRESSED AIR cans when dealing with cleaning reflectors and lenses.

The problem with compressed air, is it's not just the air that comes out, but also the accelerant which provides the pressure.

A small amount of residue is left behind.

If you are compulsive about keeping your lenses and reflectors clean, and care about the tiniest imperfections, you will see the effects of this residue. Most people aren't that crazy... but then most people are also not flashaholics.

Consistently I find the best way to remove fingerprint scratches, is to use some 90% (not 70% or lower) isopropyl alcohol, and a lint free, microfiber towel. The alcohol easily breaks down the oils left by greasy fingers.

If you must wash, and use water. Distilled is best. To dry, shake it dry as much as you can, then use a blow dryer, at a distance, and on a low heat setting. Or even a desk fan will do just fine.

There is also a ton of purpose made cleaning devices used in photography... the little brushes work great to get a pesky piece of dust off the reflector.

LOL, I like the tongue part! (That’s what she said!)

There is truth in it though, since human saliva is one of the best organic solvents in the world (I read this somewhere, can’t quote on it, sorry.).
Anybody remembers that MAD TV Spishak Granma’s Spit Cleaner commercial? Can’t find it online but damn that stuff works! krkrkrrr….

So is stomach acid....

We continue talking about those guys panties and somebody is gonna eventually puke on his reflector. I’m requesting beamshots of that in advance!

Yes, the cat’s tongue is actually very rough. Its filled with backward facing barbs which the cat uses to rasp meat from the bones of their prey and to groom themselves. :slight_smile:

Thanx for starting this thread! I think I’ll finally solve the mess I did with the reflector of my Maelstrom X10. :bigsmile:

Except for smudgy fingerprints, I’ve used this type of blusher brush from my wife’s dresser collection (clean spare brush) to dust off lenses and reflectors :

so, I try this cotton wool method. got to tell you, it's definitely the best and easiest method so far :)

I take some cotton wool, wet it with water and pour a couple drop of liquid hand soap (carex sensitive). also wet the reflector with small current of running tap water. when the cotton wool absorbs water it becomes heavy enough to contact and gently slides on the mirror surface. all you have to do is hold it like a water drop hanging shape and moving it up and down. the gravity force will do the cleaning. just less than a minute, rinse with tap water. clean :)

however it doesn't able to remove any haze mark. it only removes smudges, finger print, oily traces and even micro scratch can become less apparent.

Beside all the suggestions provided above how to clean a reflector, I would rather ask another question here, that is it due to the static or is there any method to avoid the static? I think if we can avoid the static we can always prevent the dirt from sticking on the reflector.

one thing for sure is to avoid disassembling head in the dusty environment and try to keep away anything that has lint (tissue, fabric even micro fabric, brush, etc) near the reflector.