How to unscrew this lens holder

Hello,

This is my first post so: Hello Everybody! I have been following this forum for quite some time, now I need to turn for help to you:)

And straight to business: I want to put a new driver in my diving flashlight, however, I cannot get to it. The problem is the cap/nut holding the lens. Please see pictures below.

How do you unscrew it? How is the necessary wrench called? Or maybe some DIY tricks? I have tried using screwdriver and brute force, I have tried using rubber pad and some other wrench. Unfortunately nothing worked.

I’m sure this kind of lens holder is nothing new to some of you guys - most waterproof flashlights have those. I would really appreciate some help here! I don’t want to scratch the lens with my brute force techniques :wink:

I have not tried, but maybe this can be used: Pro Spanner Wrench For Camera Lens Repair Opening Open Tool Stainless Steel for sale online | eBay

Interesting tool.

I use long nose pliars for this type of bezel, holding them open with the ends in two opposing slots.
Got to hold firmly in place to not slip though. Cover the glass with blue tac or similar.

Unfortunately you are not telling us what light we are talking about. You say diving light. Does that mean it is some sort of -fire light that can withstand a bit of rain, or is it a serious diving light. In both cases there can be some glue involved, that means that it is almost impossible to do some none-destructive disassembling. If it a serious light, you might be able to locate some (bezel removing) tools on the internet. They are quite common for Jetbeam and Surefire, maybe also for the brand you have. Do you just want to remove the SS retaining ring, or is there an indication that there is a removable section between the cooling fins and the retaining ring.
I can see that the rubber pad does not work, because the retaining ring is recessed. I see some dents, I think that was one (or more) screwdriver(s). When applying pressure with a screwdriver, always remember that you don’t want to push the ring into the tube, but that you want it to rotate. So you should use TWO screwdrivers instead of one. Have you tried to put a piece of metal in a vice, just wide enought that it fits in two opposing slots in the retaining ring, and then rotate the light carefully?

I use a spanner wrench designed to take the back off a screw down case-back watch. :wink:

About $14 from GearBest I think. There are cheaper ones, but I splurged and got the better looking one.

When you need a tool and don’t have it, you make it yourself :wink: A steel bar made to cross the center and rounded to fit the ends could be held by another tool and turned. All you need is a hacksaw, a file, and some steel to work with. A mechanic or recycler could be a source for scrap steel, just take he light with you and explain what you want to do. Make it fit the rounded parts carefully so it doesn’t damage the light.

Phil

I’ve done what Phil says as well, using a 1” wide x 1/8” thick plate of 6061 Aluminum. Easier to file to fit, works just the same. (Had it laying around)

I’ve always wondered what manufacturers use for those. Do they actually have a specially-designed star-shaped tool to remove the bezel rings for each different light?

I seem to recall someone awhile ago said you could maybe mould one or cast one using something like JB weld? Has anyone actually tried that?

Think that may have been OL. I’ve tried it before, hot glue too.

You can find many different types

Lots of approaches to making a tool. I’m sure the factory has a special one for the job but that doesn’t always mean that you must have that tool, all you need is one which will work. It needn’t be sophisticated, efficient, or even durable if you’re not going to use it a lot. And it always helps if making the tool is cheap and easy, leaving more time and money for things which really matter like flashlights :stuck_out_tongue:

Phil

+1 My Bl thought he needed a torque wrench. I told him to use an adjustable wrench, an iron pipe and a spring scale.

Thank you guys. I have managed do unscrew it with “circlip pliers” (similar to those: http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1365&groupID=1455).

Could you please link to it? Searching for “spanner wrench” didn’t bring anything I could find use for :wink:

_*DB Custom wrote: I use a spanner wrench designed to take the back off a screw down case-back watch. Wink About $14 from GearBest I think. There are cheaper ones, but I splurged and got the better looking one.*_

I bought one from Harbor Freight for @ $5 probably the not so better looking one...

Glad you asked, I’m staring at a bezel like that myself. 2 cm diameter, notch to notch.

I haven’t found one of these tools with a statement of how much separation the pins allow, yet.
Flashlight bezel’s going to be generally somewhat bigger across than a watch bezel.

This is the kind of thing that might work:

but the first review says:

or this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Watch-Repair-Tool-Kit-Adjustable-Back-Case-Opener-Cover-Remover-Screw-Watchmaker-Open-Battery-Change/32622582482.html

or this looks the same but costs twice as much

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-1PCS-Watch-case-Rectangle-Anchor-Waterproof-Adjustable-Watch-Back-Opener-Tool-Free-shipping-20130312/779493674.html

AH, here’s one specifying the dimension:

The watch case back opener I got looks just like this but was more expensive… I didn’t get it on ebay.

The one above at ebay is $3.46.

You can get JB Weld in a stick, it’s like a jelly roll with one part in the middle and the other part on the outside. You cut off a piece of the approximate amount you need, knead it with your fingers til the color is consistent (be quick here, it sets up VERY fast!)

If you have your light tail standing first, with a piece of saran wrap laid over the lens/bezel… you can mash the ball of JB Weld onto the lens so that it covers the indentations in the bezel and in about 5 minutes you’ll have a tool that fits that bezel. Press the hex head of a bolt into the middle and you’ll have a way to grab it and turn it, or simply stand a coin on edge in the middle and let it set up. The coin will give you leverage to turn the bezel off, even if you have to use pliers.

The saran wrap will keep it from sticking to the light. :wink:

JB Weld Water Weld is the one I’m mainly talking about here. It’s about $7-9 for a tube, you’ll use about a quarter of the tube or a few bucks worth. It’ll set up in 3-5 minutes, inside of 10 minutes you’ll have your bezel off and have a tool to use on that light whenever you wish.

Talking about home-made tools. English is not my native tongue. That makes it sometimes hard to express what I want to say. But there is an expression: a picture can tell a thousand words. I would like to point to an entry of djozz in the thread “What did you mod today?”. It is a tool to remove the bezel from a Thrunite headlight. He made it from an Element-System bracket (just to name any brand, there are dozens of companies making these). The two protruding parts fit the slots in the retaining ring. Here is the link: djozz tool.

I like the watch case tool idea since I have watch and an SRK clone with a stuck bezel too but the JB weld idea is good for both as well and I already have some.