Hunting Scorpions with a UV light!

After seeing those pics I had to order one :slight_smile:

Donā€™t look now butā€¦ While living in Bay City Texas, about 90 miles south east of Houston, I found a scorpion that was about three inches long. :open_mouth:

We have them here in South Carolina, but they are uncommon and only get about an inch and a half long. I have a couple of small LED UV lights but Iā€™m going to look for one of the drop in units.

When I was little guy we lived in Mexico for a couple of years. They had a large dangerous scorpion that stung my Mother and sent her to the hospital. To this day I never use the toilet without checking under the seat. Old habits dies hard. :nerd_face:

I live in Montgomery which is just north of Houston and I have been stung 3 times when a black scorpion fell from the ceiling in my momā€™s house down my shirt. it hurts like the dickens I know that. Since then we have caught about 5 or 6 of them in the house. I need one of those drop ins.

This thread is quite interesting I might addā€¦ :bigsmile:

looks like fun! Ever think about eating them say, deep fried or stir fried.

I can confirm that this light will cause urine to glow (Don't shine this light on the walls around your toilet! Surprised). I don't know what it will do with blood, but it's my understanding that those blood-detecting lights use an array of LEDs that emit several different colors of light that combine to emphasize blood. I don't know about seat and saliva either...

So what spectrum is the UV LED youā€™re using? I travel to Central America frequently and there are scorpions all over the place, This would be a GREAT way to help eliminate them from around the childrenā€™s home where we volunteer.

I notice that there are two different options available for my ET T20C2 MKII, 365-370nm and 395-400nm. Do you have any idea which I would want?

Thx!

Iā€™m not familiar with the EagleTac light you are using; is that a P60 host?

My dropin is listed (Per Manafont) to be 380nm. Per Ubehebeā€™s post above, 385nm is the desired wavelength for scorpion hunting. If your lightā€™s a P60 host, you could order the same drop-in I have, but keep in mind, itā€™s for single-cell use only. Looking at the price of EagleTac drop-ins, you could purchase the Manafont drop-in and a nice host to use, and still have cash left overā€¦

Thanks, Keltex. I looked through the thread and completely missed the 385nm spec. I always carry my ET while Iā€™m down there, so I figured spending the $25 on the drop-in would be the way to go. Seeing that the two available options for it lie on either side of the preferred specs, maybe Iā€™ll have to look at the option you noted.

Thanks for your help!

You know the episode of "Two and a half men" when Evelyn wants to marry Teddy? He dies and police walks into Charlies room with an UV light..? Dont shine on your bed/bedroom walls! :P

Still waiting for mine. :frowning:

I apolgize for resurrecting my own thread repeatedly, but Iā€™ve got babies! I had kept a couple of the larger scorpions in a jar, and have been feeding them crickets Iā€™ve caught in the yard. I was shocked yesterday evening to see that one of the scorpions had babies on its back!

Fat little bodies with tiny pinchers and tailsā€¦ So I guess scorpions have live babies instead of laying an egg-sack?

Very cool, keltex!

As Iā€™m preparing to take a UV light down to Belize with me this fall, it got me wondering: Do you use any kind of UV protecting glasses when using your light?

Awwwā€¦how cute. :heart_eyes:

My wife would divorce me if I started keeping scorpions as pets.

No, but I sure donā€™t look directly into the beam, or shine it on any reflective surfaces or anything to cause me to get a large amount of the UV directly back into my eyes. I donā€™t know if the amount or wavelength of UV in this light is dangerous though. It does have a similar effect to being under a blacklight, making my eyes feel strained after using it for a while.

Hahahahahah! Watch out for those jars! We had three big old desert hairy scorpions in a jar and kept it on the kitchen table as a conversation piece. The cat would stare at them for hours.

Then one morning, I was freaked out to find the jar gone! A quick search found it smashed on the floor. Iā€™m sure it was Edgar the cat wanting to play with the funny looking bugs. We found him later, limping around with a big bump on his rear leg, so I guess he found out the hard way that scorpions are best not played with.

Oh, and we found ONE of the scorpions. Never did find the other two. Theyā€™re probably still roaming the house. I slept with one eye open for a year. And I donā€™t put scorpions in jars any more inside. ;) ;) :wink:

Still waiting for my UV lights :ā€“0

The scorpions stay outside in the shop where she doesnā€™t have to look at them or think about them. She wonā€™t look at them when sheā€™s outside, and gets creeped out when I show her pictures in full-screen high-res on the high-def TV thoughā€¦ :open_mouth:

And those little babies pack a powerful sting. The legend is that they donā€™t know how much poison to inject yet, so they inject it all!

Which I believe ā€¦. A friend and I were hiking near a waterfall in Death Valley (yes Darwin Falls is a full-on waterfall in Panamint Valley, part of DVNP). He saw a big scorpion on a rock in a shady place and went to step on it. But it moved and he lost balance at a prime moment. So instead of squishing it, he gave it one hell of a kick and sent it flying. As it flew off into the bushes, he noticed some little brown spots knocked loose from the scorpion. Huh!! What was that?

Well, it was a load of baby scorps that he dislodged when he kicked the mother. A bunch of them landed on his boots and immediately headed up for the dark confines of the warm new home of under Rickā€™s pant leg. Man, those things move fast!

Needless to say, despite quite a few people on the trail that morning, Rick stripped buck naked in about 3 seconds flat. Never seen anyone get out of their clothes that fast. We spent about 30 minutes with him in his underwear going over every square inch of his clothes. Found five or six, but not before he had been stung a couple times.

So word to the wise, donā€™t kick a mother scorpion.

Oh, on the way back to the truck, a ranger came by and asked if we had seen a naked man running around scaring hikers?

No, sir. We didnā€™t see any naked man ā€¦. heh heh oops. Wonder what the penalty is for running around naked in a national park?

wow this thread is a great read. Thanks all for posting.

Those things are creepy!! I still canā€™t believe people eat those things liveā€¦ Iā€™d have to be pretty hungry to do that.

Thanks kramer5150. My thoughts exactly. You guys have put a rye smile on my face. Cheers.