I am wanting a briefcase with foam inside to transport lights

Hey Rusty, I was looking here … better pricing. I was looking at the 1150 or 1170 for a new handgun. Great prices. Lots of help on this blog, you should find something “:o)

Rusty,

I have that same case showed in the Harbor Freight link. You will need to get some type of foam to put in the top where the black tool insert is. I ended up using carpet padding in mine. But foam padding that goes in a gun case will be much better. But you won’t believe how much that padding is. I looked for some on the internet and said the heck with that for what they were wanting plus shipping.

Check ebay and see if you can find some cases there. If I were you, I would find one with foam on both top and bottom unless you have some already you can use and cut for a custom fit.

This one would be better.

No top foam? There goes that. The idea is for secure carry. The ebay one looks nice.

Take a look at this site:

Sorry, ILikeFL, there IS a foam top in the Harbor Freight Case, as I stated in my post above (#4). There is not in one of their other cases (with the square corners, and that case doesn’t have the pick’n’pluck foam either). The Harbor Freight Case I have, has both the foam top and the Pick’n’pluck foam in addition to the dividers. The Pelican case does NOT have the dividers, you would have to buy that separate.

OK rusty, pull the trigger before we all start a flame war!! 0:)

BTW, If I had the money, I would love to have some Pelican cases! I think they’re wonderful, fantastic, many sizes, many features, waterproof, practically bomb proof, and they come in different colors.

But I only make $13.43/hour as a mental health therapist (I’m thinking of getting promoted to a pizza delivery guy since they make much more money than I do) and that all goes towards mortgage, car payment, bills, and an occasional flashlight.

So Pelican is just a dream. In the meantime, I make do, so that’s where HF fits in. My hats of to Pilot and others promoting Pelican!! :party:

on a side note - I don’t like regular foam at all. It tends to crumble and break apart after about 10-15 years.

The foam in my gun case turned to dust, the foam for my German Rotring pens turned to dust, the closed-cell foam I cut myself for my caliper gauges and engineering tubular pens turned to dust, and the NOS taillight foam gaskets for my 1964 Ford have turned to dust, as well, all within 10-15 years.

Now, I am using balsa wood, shaped on my fret saw, lined with felt padding first and then with velvet used for musical instrument cases.

s. fabricating a case insert for a tenor saxophone out of Balsa turned out to be quite costly!!! :open_mouth: Well, it’s a Keilwerth, but still - I don’t like cases half as expensive as the instrument itself. Lesson learned.

s.: styrofoam is obnoxious! It about NEVER degrades. Might be a solution as well.

I may stop by the store here in Irving which is just 8 minutes from my place to check it out tomorrow.

I don’t know about anybody else, but I don’t think I was “promoting” Pelican as such. Most of mine were purchased before I was married and/or had kids. I saved for a long, long time to get the bags for my bike. Like I alluded to earlier, if you really, really, really need bomb proof, then you can hardly do better than those Pelican products. That said, I would never spend more to protect something than the something is worth. In that case, the Pelican line does not represent good value.

Well I got one just like the one shown in your link at another store that is identical. no foam in the top.

Rusty,

I’m going to do you a big favor and send you a pm to a deal of a lifetime that I found for you. I have been wanting to buy these the last time I seen some just like them from the same guy I believe. Those should be the cats meow.

This is the case I bought from Harbor Freight and it does come with the upper and lower foam. I have bought 5 of them when they are on sale and these work perfect for hauling your lights or guns. Here is the link to the one’s I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-x-12-3-4-quarter-inch-x-6-inch-aluminum-case-39196.html

Here’s the description of the case also:

This aluminum carrying case provides perfect protection for all your tools when traveling from job to job. Features foam inserts that can be shaped to custom fit larger tools and a tool pocket insert for smaller hand tools. The case is designed with rugged PVC corners and aluminum trim for added durability. A great carrying case for tools, video cameras, photography equipment or anything else that needs to be organized and protected while on the move!
Two keyed locks:Foam inserts can be shaped for a custom fit
Tool pocket inside aluminum case
Four no-mar rubber feet
Carry strap
1” thick top foam, 2” thick perforated bottom foam with custom dividers
Shipping Weight: 6.75 lb.
Specifications
Name 18” x 12-3/4” x 6” Aluminum Case
SKU 39196
Brand Storehouse
Material Aluminum
Shipping Volume 0.853
Manufacturer Warranty Detail 100% Satisfaction Guarantee! If for ANY reason you are not satisfied with this item, you may return it within 90 days for a full refund or replacement.

Cone, I stand corrected!

HF has two different cases in the store, one with foam insert for the top, the other with just the tool holder. Still doesn’t lock down like the custom one you made. I use a folded hand towel to keep the lights sandwiched in tight. We are talking budget here.

I have a couple of the Harbor Freight Cases and they’re pretty decent - particularly when on sale. It’s just that they are made cheaply and you can’t start jumping on them - unlike the ones that follow:

The cases that I’ve found that come closest in quality to Pelican are these: Amazon.com

The Bolton Cases are extraordinarily rugged - I’d say equal to the Pelican in that regard. They’re cheaper but still cost quite a bit. The only issue is that the QC is not quite as good as Pelican - but they do stand behind the product. Someone tried a “shower test” and that one failed due to a little warp at the seam but Bolton will replace in those cases (I mean “situations” - sorry about unintentional pun).

LOL, good one. Nice job with the artful editing of my words so the flavor of what I said is missing.

Still don’t feel like I was “promoting” Pelican per se. “Promoting”, to me, connotes a fanboyish quality to the advice that my statement was lacking. I even went so far as to say that without an absolute need for hardcore box, Pelican isn’t the best bang for the buck. Perhaps I should get a dictionary.

I look forward to the creative butchering of this post. Clever and sarcastic never fail to amuse me.

This is a deal where you get a case with a light at a great price:

You’d probably only be able to mod it to fit 2-3 more lights but it’s and idea!

I went to check out the cases you guys posted from HF. They weren’t bad for the price, but I couldn’t pull the trigger. I have two of the cases in the following link (in the larger size with two clamps/lock instead of the pictured one) and I couldn’t justify the HF’s compared to the quality of the RedHead. I’ve been very pleased with mine, they’ve been banged around quite a bit and have held up great. Just one gripe, the locks are TERRIBLE.

I vaguely remember picking these up for 35.99 or 39.99 on sale around a year ago.
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Aluminum-Pistol-Gun-Cases/product/95085/78551

Here is my Harbor Freight case. I used a couple layers of foam rubber for the top surface to help keep the heavier lights in place. The regular foam works just fine under it and on the top. I’ve been using it for a good 6 months now to transport it on weekly outings to go play with my lights. Very nice case for the money.