I don't own a single cell thrower. Help me out.

Not really sure what to go for.

I guess I’ll be looking at the KD C8, the 980L, or potentially the HD2010. Requirement really are just something impressive, running a single 18650.

Anybody know why this is so cheap?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-UF-980L-CREE-XM-L-T6-5-Modes-LED-Flashlight-Torch-900Lm-NEW-/251152518683?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item3a79db4e1b

Is it because the bezel and tail are alu and not SS?

Open to any suggestions, thanks!

I'd go for the HD-2010, from what I have heard it is an amazing light.

Go with the HD2010.. The C8 and 980 throw well for their size but are still too all-purpose to be dedicated throwers. If you want a dedicated thrower get a dedicted thrower like the HD2010. ;)

Check the postage cost on that 980l :wink: 33 pounds delivered makes it the same price as the Manafont genuine one.

There are a lot of cheap clones of the real light, most are pretty decent in overall build, the bodies almost identical. Small differences in reflector, driver and bezels mainly.

At best this might be the same as the Dino clone, which has stainless bezels and 5 modes with memory.

The Manafont one is still the best though.

The HD 2012 is a great light too, these are two of my personal favourites. But i don’t carry mine around unless I know I need to. It’s just too big to fit in a pocket.

The 980L is much better that way, a perfect combination of size and power. Mine is never far away.

Unless I’m missing something, it’s showing as free P&P, and delivery within 3 or 4 days.

The only thing putting me off of the 2010 is the size of the head. Hmmm. Whoever said this was an easy hobby.

Free shipping to the U.K.

£16.99 shipping to Australia.

It must be giving me international postage rates then.

In any case, had a closer look, and it definitely looks like the Dino clone, there is a slight difference in the body shape at the head end of the battery tube that stands out from the genuine and the cheaper clones, which are identical.

For the difference in price, I would get the Manafont original, or save the bucks and get the $14 A6 ebay clone. I have all of them and another bronze cheapie too.

Thread Comparison

Similar Thread

Thanks for those links Pretzy, I’ll do some reading!

What kind of throw are you after? Sharp pencil-beam throw, or blunt eraser throw? The HD2010 will be more of the latter… its around 45K lux in a fat, XML beam good for about 800 Lumens. IMHO its a VERY useful beam pattern. Throws very well, but also lights up enough out to the sides to serve as a general purpose light too.

There are XRE throwers that will do ~55K lux, and reach out farther, but with a _much _more narrow beam and significantly less overall lumens too.

If you want an 18650 light, I'd recommend you consider a couple of alternatives:

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v3-xml-u2-910lumens-flashlight-p-308.html

More of an all arounder but with very good throw and smaller size. Another good thrower that runs off two 18650:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/small-sun-zyt08-xml-t6-1200lumen-5mode-led-flashlight-black-218650-p-11600

Don't get me wrong, I have an HD2010 and it's an awesome thrower, but best used with a 26650 cell. It rattles quite a bit with the 18650 + reducer. Also a bit cumbersome for carrying around all the time.

I’m sure you must already know this, but the main reason the HD2010 is such a good thrower IS the size of the head.

If you want a really good smaller alternative that’s a pretty close second in terms of throw, but is also arguably a better overall light, choose the XinTD as BetweenRides suggested.

What about this one:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/12273

Apparently runs well with single 18650, the second one adds runtime.

I’m waiting for mine, hopefully in two weeks !

Then XinTd is also on the radar, and that small sun looks interesting!

I highly recommend the MXDL SA-76 Turbohead. aka the Skyray A01
Its not too far off the HD2010 and can be easily modded to bypass the driver resistors to run harder.
I also asked about it here.
You can pick them up from either of these two ebay sellers. I got mine for £9/$14.50 and its an absolute steal at that price. Real glass lens, easy to hold. Runs at around 2.5+ amps.