I feel some are too harsh on non-lithium users.

Two sides of the same coin.

You look at those frustrated souls as a tragedy.

I look at those blissfully encouraged without any cautionary advice as a potential tragedy.

And I think we’re in agreement that such matters could be handled better. :wink:

+1

As newbie I feel very thankful for words of warning on this super friendly forum.
I buy only flashlights where I can put a 3xAAA holder in as gifts.
Li ion cells are usually protected by the construction in mobile devices but could miss all that when bought as cells for flashlights so it is important to issue solid information and warnings just like BLF tends to do and should do IMHO.

Would you air up your tires before a long trip without using a pressure gauge? “Yeah, that looks about full enough, let’s hit the road, guys!”

Or is that being too harsh and/or elitist too?

Perhaps a few posts “scare off” newbies regarding LiIon cells, but overall this is the friendliest moist helpful forum I’ve even been a member of. And there ARE types of people who shouldn’t use LiIon cells, just as there are types of people who shouldn’t drive cars or own deadly weapons or even keep pets. But I think all are treated fairly here- I’ve not seen anyone being judged like thgat by others. And our care in making sure newbies understand LiIon’s has had to have saved lots of folks from frustration as well as saved them from some likely danger.

If we recommend a LiIon-only light or LiIon usage to a newbie, we have a moral obligation to ensure that they understand how to be safe with them. They CAN be hazardous if not dealt with properly. If all LiIon cells, chargers, and lights were all engineered for safety like phones and laptops are we wouldn’t need to be so diligent about the risks involved, but since they aren’t like that we can’t ignore the matter. And in this I think people here have mostly achieved the right balance in how we explain the situation.

I am forever grateful to have received my LiIon education here and I still remember the words which first sank into my thick skull regarding their quirks: “Remember- cheap lights but only good cells and chargers”. Succinct, non-abusive, helpful, and memorable in a small package of words, those 8 words have allowed me to have the best experience possible with LiIon cells and you can hardly do better than that.

Phil

I’ve seen no hostility.

That is completely different, a LiIon in a mobile phone is in a hard case with multiple protections built in. An exposed unprotected 18650 is a quite different beast. A protected 18650 is better, but potentially very dangerous.

well said +1 on this one too!

While I’ve been into flashlights for years I am completely new to the subtle intricacies of flashlight technology and complementary power sources. This forum has been, without a doubt, the friendliest and most helpful that I have ever been on since I began frequenting forums back in 1999. I have found the emphasis on safety and vigilance when using liion to be essential in getting it stuck into my head that these things can hurt people if used incorrectly, or if a faulty unit has been purchased. If users had been wishywashy with knowledge seekers then they may not take away, or at least respect, the information the forum provides to them. None of this is rocket science but you do need to be careful.

Anyone that is “scared off” from l-ion cells because they are told about proper safety precautions, probably should be scared off. Lithium-ion are pretty safe, but not when poorly treated. The “kind of person” that is used to NiMH or NiCad tools and regularly drains batteries until they’re dead, then charges them up for 24 hours or more, probably shouldn’t use lithium-ion until they’re properly educated and willing to do a bit of effort to maintain the cells.

I would feel perfectly safe with lithion-ion batteries (I have some, but not many), because I’m a battery-nerd. However, I still stick mainly to Eneloops, because I can be lazy if I want, and I don’t need to worry about things like capacity-loss from long-term storage at full charge.

I generally don’t recommend lithium-ion to novices, because good quality NiMH can achieve most of what lithium-ion can do, albeit in a more bulky package. To me, it’s a reasonable trade-off.

You seem to post a lot of antagonistic replies on this forum.

Li-ion is dangerous. Plain and simple. If you can’t respect them, then they probably aren’t for you. Just like anything else that is dangerous. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone really post anything to contrary. And likewise, recommendations to not use them are usually based on this. The fact you want to ignore this says a lot more about you, than it does about the wider forum community.

Exactly.

Yes, I build lights using Li-ion cells, because, for high power and voltage requirements, NiMH don’t do the trick. Yes, used properly, Li-ion are very safe, but……. used improperly, such as running them too down to nothing and trying to charge them back up, can cause problems. I am lazy when it comes to cell maintenance. I don’t want to have to check voltage, or any of that. NiMH cells I run till they are almost drained and throw them in the charger and walk away. When I come back, they are ready to go, over and over again. Can’t do that with Li-ion. I also don’t carry any high powered lights. I don’t need them and have no use for them. Modding is what I like, the process of modification, not using the end result. It’s why I always sell my creations. I love modding, but I don’t have much use at all for flashlights in general.

most of member here just give the newbie a warning how dangerous the Li Ion battery if not handled correctly and charged without overcharged protection function.
:slight_smile:

Freeme, you are correct… But, they are behind all kinds of protection. They are not 30q’s with a FET driver pulling 5 amps! There is a big difference. I do think that new Lion battery owners need to do their homework. These batteries put out enough current to melt fairly heavy springs in seconds, but they also make the desired lumens we want for some projects.

Having said the above, newbies should read, learn and maybe start with protected or lower discharge batteries for their first few builds to limit the chances of dead shorts, smoke and fire.

But, they should experience good cells at some point! :slight_smile:

I understand what you mean…

Some people ask for lights that are NiMH based and straight away people start saying buy this 18650 flashlight! to be honest their will always be pros and cons to both all battery types i like to let people find lithium ions in there own time. I am sure if people are comfortable they would have already bought 18650 flashlights so let them find there own feet :smiley:

But i can say some people on the forum are way to one sided either way! They are safe if used the right way! So maybe do not push people any way just guide them :smiley:

Knowing when not to inhale — me

“You gotta learn to play it right.
You’ve got to know when to hold ’em.
Know when to fold ’em.
Know when to walk away.
Know when to run.”
— Kenny Rogers

Qualification to use individual cells that are not made for sale to individuals, bought from resellers that may or may not apply some kind of safety circuit, is a Darwin Award kind of thing. Your qualification to use these outside the established safety formats is measured by the health of your grandchildren, after the fact.

There are three active groups that I know encouraging people to use li-ions outside of the packs made for computers and cell phones (which have had years of history including some fires and recalls before they figured out how to sell them with some confidence they wouldn’t have to take them back and pay for damages):

— the RC aircraft people — super high drain, sometimes “crash and burn”
— the flashlight people — cautionary, what’s the worst thing that could happen? Prepare for that; protect your family.
— the tobacco products people — not in business for your health

Who ya gonna trust to tell you what you’re qualified to use, outside the established protections?

An ideal flashlight for me accepts both 18650/26650 and 3xAAA cells.
Nice as gift with triple AAA holder and well in the car with extreme temps I put alkaline and check every week if working or leaking.

Do I ? So I’m not allowed an opinion, is that what you are saying ? Exactly who / how am I antagonising ? Because I say what I think, have strong almost stubborn traits ? Well if that’s not allowed on an international forum I must be in the wrong place.
Point me to one of these posts of mine, I’ll put a smiley face beside each quote, so everyone knows not to take it so personally. And where exactly am I ignoring the potential dangers ? I have not once said here or anywhere that members should not give advice about the subject.
You judge me based on text on a screen, the quote “The fact you want to ignore this says a lot more about you, than it does about the wider forum community” is way off base, and tells me a lot about you. If you simply see my posts as antagonist, that’s not my problem. I get the impression you don’t like being confronted with debates that counter your own thoughts.

Every member should be cautioned about li ion safety hazards, people who use the lights accept the risk, but if one never hears about the risk they cannot take precautions and know how to treat their cells properly and avoid chinese no name unsafe garbage.

If reality is too harsh we should not use li ion at all. I don’t know of any threads that bash newbies because they ask questions, though i don’t read all of BLF its likely SB would step in and take care of the problem if it came up because he is very good at his job.

Being a member of other forums its every man for himself, you get insulted, treated like garage or trolled and your on your own, you need a thick skin. You ask a question on BLF you get friendly posters giving advice, i’ve gotten the odd snark here but nothing like you get elsewhere, though we should always aim to improve just like every facet of life.

I completely agree, li ion can cause death and destruction if not properly taken care of, phones are properly designed and CSA/CE/UL certified which our lights are not.

To the OP: How do you suggest we advise newbies about the risks and how to prevent explosions?

Just keep doing what we are doing. I feel that I’m being misunderstood a wee bit. I’ve said all along that absolutely we should advise of dangers, but when it extends to assumptions that new members and giftees are not capable of looking after the cells ( without consultation, and it has happened ) its a step too far. If a member makes noises that they personally feel hesitant, caution should be stressed - but they should not be discouraged, again we all started off knowing nothing about liIon.
And I agree with everyone who has said this is a helpful forum for newbies. It is. Never said / thought otherwise.

This thread was not intended to come across as “don’t caution newbies” - or that would have been the title.

If there are specific examples i would suggest letting SB know, he is very good at handling problems, and your right that if someone is being badgered for no reason they deserve better