I Lowered Duv with a custom paint!

Jon, I was referring to this:

And TK confirmed she has FB4, among others. She should really specify which bin she is filtering.

They all have to be driven pretty hard to ever get below BBL, even the FD2 found in your FW3A. So if you seek a LED which is below BBL I think the answer would be they are all bad :slight_smile:

Let’s not escalate.
And yes, I never use moon mode. I mostly use the ceiling.
I only mention turbo because anyone applying filter technology NEED to be aware of the dangers of 1/2 filters during Turbo. Many lights just use a fixed timer for turbo, and that would need to be re-programmed to run a 1/2 filter on turbo, or someone is going to get burned, or an emitter scorched.

I did.

This is probably good advice.

I was really hopeful that SST-20 could have its tint corrected to something more agreeable, but so far I’m finding that it’s still funky even after making it not-green. So I plan on getting some 219B 4000K LEDs to see how they compare.

Um, no. There’s just so many things with LED power lights or clock displays I can just walk around and see fine without a flashlight.

FWIW, another option for making SST-20 look good is to use it as a mule without any reflectors or optics. It looks really nice when it’s not focused.

For example, in one of maukka’s reviews, the forward part of a mule beam is at or below BBL even on a FB4 bin emitter:

BTW, I’m sorry Toykeeper for what I said.

That was a bit mean on my part.

I think our difference stems from our preferences.

I prefer something looking like sunlight as much as possible, so a bit of greenness isn’t bad to me. Perfectly neutral is of course the best.

Pinkish tints, though. Ugh. Not my taste.

Lets try to get this back on topic and set aside personal preferences.

Joshk

• did you use your paint on an already AR coated lens or plain glass? this may not matter but needs to be tested cause there are lots of different AR coatings or lack thereof and if people are going to spray lenses it would be good to test a few examples of both
  • how durable is the coating? does tightening it up against an optic leave marks on the inside?
  • any guesses if it will yellow or otherwise change color over time?

random thoughts:

TK has observed and SKV, myself and others have measured that an AR lens can actually raise Duv by a not insignificant amount. In some cases it’s almost non-existant (UCL) and in other cases it’s as much as (+0.002). An AR lens from an FW3A I measured was +0.0014 vs a plain glass. E07 was +0.002 according to SKV and +0.001 for a D4v2 AR lens

The AR coatings do not seem to effect the overall brightness very much but they do seem to be able to change the Duv by as much as what a 1/8 lee filter does. I wonder if there is any way to create an AR coating that would trend in the other direction or if this is just something ingrained in how these coatings work?

Yea mine appeared to be AR coated.
There aren’t any visible marks so far.
It shouldn’t yellow at all over time.

As far as AR coating raising Duv, based on your info, one coat of this stuff is perfect to reverse that effect.

Also noticed that SST-20 looks noticibly rosier and nicer with wide pebbled optics compared to clear narrow ones.

fyi, Jon and TK, I just scroll past your posts without reading them. Jon’s always read like hate-mail, and TK’s always tell me I do everything wrong and nothing right… in a sugar coated turd writing style.
But I can always count on you two showing up on any thread I start.

It’s true the thread-bumping effect keeps it in the recent posts, but it’s not worth it to me. There’s plenty of other intelligent members that can post politely.

For those interested, I started with a rosy/pink color like the lee filters. But it was cheating and lowering CCT, as well as not doing CRI any favors.
So I went for a slight shift toward purple and it was better.

This stuff is just a paint with a rosy/purple dye. Anyone with dye and a spectrometer could re-create it.
I am actually concerned the concentration of my dye has changed during storage, so once I am out I don’t plan to do this again. It’s not an issue for this batch, but it means the recipe is only valid until I need to restock.

Send me PM with payment details!

Hey now, quit looking in my window

I PM’d you id30209, but we need to figure out that Croatia shipping for you.

So what happened with this stuff?

It worked great. I still get requests for it, but they all go the same… Someone PM’s me and asks what it costs to ship internationally, I say the cheapest is $24 for postage. Then decide that’s too much and don’t want it. It just happened again yesterday with @mrcsone. No wonder nothing is made in the USA.

User LukeHale has this can of Green Delete arriving Wednesday. I’m looking forward to hearing how it works for him. :slight_smile: